The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2008, 12:33 AM   #51
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Re: Another parts store funny.

my complaint is when they pick up the phone they should be ready to take quick notes. it's the way I was tought when I worked at a bumper-to-bumper in Ill.
them; autozone (or whatever), may I help you?
me; I need a TPS for a 93 Lumina 3.1 vin T
them; a what?
me; a TPS, throttle position sensor
them; what's it for?

this is why I refer to them as "traffic jam" auto parts. you better be up to speed before you hit the freeway. I work on commission and dont have time for incompetence.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:23 AM   #52
malibu795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billla View Post
The part I struggle with the most is getting flack for having a part number. I went into Schucks (always a mistake, but they're closer) last night to get a trans filter kit - Fram FT1021. It's a long thread...but it helps me get the PO'd out

I'd like 2 FRAM FT1021 transmission filter kits, please.
*What's it for.
FT1021. That's the part number. I'd like 2
*I need to know what it goes in to make sure it fits.
Well, the last 14 I've put my truck have fit just fine. I need 2, please
*We can't sell it to you unless we look it up - otherwise you'll return it.
sigh* (the usual litany of what the truck is)
*That's not the right filter
OK, can I talk to the manager?
*Why?
Because I need to buy these filters and I don't have any more time to waste with you
* FINE.
Manager: What can I do to help?
I need two Fram FT1021 transmission filter kits.
*What's it for?
Look...I've owned this truck for a decade and changed the trans filter 14 times. I know what the right filter is, and I either need you sell me two or I need to go down the road to NAPA and get them there.
*Pause...
*Why do you need two?

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH

I left. 2 minute transaction at NAPA after a lookup of the FRAM number to convert.

I really do understand the return thing...but I'd almost rather that they just put a sticker on the thing saying NON-RETURNABLE PART if I refuse to participate in their auto parts computer mind games.
it really through them off when you walk in and hand them a number. especially the new one. the old ones let me walk back and grab them, sprak plus, wirds, belts, hoses and what not..

gues im lucking the 4 out of 5 manager that work at the auto zone i frequent are old small time shop owners that got ran out of busnisse buy the chain stores..

got one just around the corner that does alot of boat work parts still use him for weird stuff

another hand them their part number you pulled of their website and the new one freak out
02 2500hd duramax/allision 1/4 13.82 @100 mph efi live and built tranny
500hp 383 on the engine stand

U.S. Navy 2000-Current
Peace through Superior Firepower
Horsepower = Condom.....I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it
malibu795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:41 AM   #53
magooster
'65 GMC Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
OK, after reading all of that....I am the most stunned by:

I would have bet that most places wouldn't even know what a Holden was....
Yeah, but he's in Australia, Everybody knows what a Holden is there.

1965 GMC project
1999 GMC Safari (daily driver)
2005 Scion XB (Wifey's car)
magooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:27 AM   #54
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

LOL oh yeah I know what you mean. I always try to be nice when they go and ask a hundred questions but I get tired sometimes of it. I have good luck with a few people at oreilys.
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:48 AM   #55
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Yeah, but he's in Australia, Everybody knows what a Holden is there.
I didn't even notice that...
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:49 AM   #56
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

20 years ago when I started out in the auto parts buisness I had a customer come into my work (GRAND AUTO SUPPLY) and ask for a water pump for a 1967 Monte Carlo.....
Now I was only 24 at the time but I could swear that the Mone Carlo didn't come out until 1970...... Then he let the cat out of the bag....It was a 1967 VOLVO MONTE CARLO!!!

Another time I was walking back inside from helping install some wiper blades and a customer asked if I had belts for his 1984 Pontiac Fiero. "I'm sure we do, what engine size you have in it?" Thinking a 4 banger or a 2.8L V6.....
His reply"383 small block. I about tripped and did a faceplant!!! LOL But I found the belts he needed and while cashing him out I asked "how fast would that thing go?"
"dunno but I made it from Willow to Anchorage (65miles) one night in about 20 minutes.
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:15 AM   #57
see ten
WTB this ad

One of the old guys at the Oreillys here in town is the one I use for all my tractor parts. No computer....just an old guy and a book. I really don't know what we're going to do when all these guys are gone.

I also liked the remark about the distributor is what you're going to get beat with!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #58
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
customer asked if I had belts for his 1984 Pontiac Fiero. "I'm sure we do, what engine size you have in it?" Thinking a 4 banger or a 2.8L V6.....
His reply"383 small block. I about tripped and did a faceplant!!!
See, it's that kind of BS that counter people have to put up with.....What is this? I dare you to get it right? With a combo like that, you come in asking for that belts for whatever the engine came from.....where you can stick it is up to you.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:12 AM   #59
see ten
WTB this ad

You wanna hear BS? There was a young lady of considerably small stature that used to work at the local Auto Zone. Well I was up there one day and this dude pulled in driving a huge chevy 4x4 that was running at least a 44" tire. She looked at me and said that the trucks owner came up there about every other week buying windshield wipers........to watch her install them. I think he might of been flirting a bit (or attempting to) but she still installed them for him anyway.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:06 PM   #60
lowbucktrucks

My son went in auto zone and asked for a snootnater valve. After checking the computor he was told it was a dealer only part. He said ok, but let me get a muffler bearing while I'm here. After checking the computor again he was told he had to buy the muffler, the bearing wasn't sold seperately.
lowbucktrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:04 PM   #61
_Ogre

8 yr old thread revival for that???

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:06 PM   #62
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbucktrucks View Post
My son went in auto zone and asked for a snootnater valve. After checking the computor he was told it was a dealer only part. He said ok, but let me get a muffler bearing while I'm here. After checking the computor again he was told he had to buy the muffler, the bearing wasn't sold seperately.
Good one!

I had never seen this thread before. Some good stories that sure beat watching TV.

I need a pan gasket for a 5.3.

What's it in?

A 56 Chevy.

Blank look.....
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:26 AM   #63
vetnat

I actually had a good experience with a "parts boy" one time. I purchased a BMW from California and had it shipped up to Minot, ND, so I could import it across the border to Canada myself. In February. When the trucker attempted to unload my new car, the battery was dead. As in, was low from sitting on the lot in California, and now was a busted block of ice in North Dakota winter. BMW was obviously going to buy me a new battery, however there is no dealership in the state of North Dakota. Trucker needs to unload my car and get on his way. So, off I go frantically searching for a battery for a 1 year old Beamer, they are the size of a tractor battery with all the electrical accessories. I think NAPA was my last hope. The 2 or 3 ol' fellas behind the counter tell me they can't help me. Then, a kid working there, about 18, with spiky hair and multiple facial piercings comes over, looks it up, tells me there are 2 kinds that will work, which would I like? My hero. Seriously. My dad says this scenario happened because I was looking for a part for a cool new car, so the punk kid actually new more about it than the ol' fellers. Anyway, I was seriously grateful. And just in case you were wondering, I also have a 1961 GMC I am working on
vetnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #64
gearheadperkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside View Post
"Why do you need two"

Because this truck has to Transmissions

Matthew 4:19
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
gearheadperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:36 AM   #65
Marine-58

Just found this thread and it is good to know this problem isn't only here in Colorado. I really miss the old days when the parts guy's actually knew what they were doing. They are still out there but certainly getting rare.

Because of an experience at Autozone a couple month's ago, I refuse to go back. My old timing light finally gave up the ghost after about 30 years. Stopped by AZ to see if they had one. The girl who helped me, didn't know what a timing light was. When I pointed to it hanging on the wall behind the counter she started the questions of make/model/year. When I tried to explain it was a tool, she wanted to argue about it. The kicker on this is after few minutes, I asked for the manger or at least someone who had a clue. The guy she brought over was not any better.

I try to be patient with these people as we all had to learn sometime, but there is a certain level of competance expected. The end to this story is I left and went over to O'Rielley's where they do have a clue. In and out in 5 minutes.

69 Corvette convertible 454/650
Marine-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:51 AM   #66
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I sold my 68 GMC to my nephew. I included a list of donor vehicles and warned him about the troubles he may have at part stores. The only real issue he may have is if he needs anything for the trans. It's donor is unknown, I traded a case of beer for it. But I instructed him to only mention the source when looking for replacements. "I need a master cylinder for a 76 C10 heavy half".

Where so many younger counter people get hung up is due to cars being built much different in the last 30 years. You can't simply pull a 2.3 and drop in a 3.0. So the parts guy's have gone soft and complacent. Us older gear heads just have to be a step ahead of them while being polite. Feed them the answers they want, just don't give them any drama.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:13 AM   #67
abig84

i remember buying a transfercase seal for my old k5 blazer and they asked me it was 4 wheel drive.

thats about all i got
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #68
Honest Bob

I was at autozone looking for belts for my 75 C30. The 18 year old at the counter gave me the weirdest look when I told him it didnt have AC.
Honest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #69
see ten
WTB this ad

This thread is nearly ten years old...

Two of the old guys that I used to use and depend on have passed away...

Another old guy retired...

I ended up divorced, then wound up dating the chick that kept getting asked to install wiper blades on the 4x4 with 44" tires... that didn't work out... maybe I should of had her install some wiper blades

My dad actually had a job for a year or so at Auto Zone delivering parts... He said that he was asked a series of mechanical knowledge questions during his interview. My dad had worked as a mechanic back in the 70s-80s, but hadn't done anything like that for a living since then. The manager that interviewed him said my dad seemed to know more about working on cars than the guys who were doing it for a living today.

Parts stores can still be frustrating...