The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
hamjet

Fixing a gas cap to vent properly

My old gas cap always vented well since new, but the rubber seal went bad, so I went to Napa to get a new one. I could suck through it just like the old one so I thought all was well, even though it looked like a different cap.. WoW!! Big back pressure when I tried to remove it a day later. I didn't like that so I thought about seeing what I could do. Looking at the bottom you can see the difference. so by spreading the small tangs, the plastic part comes right out. then with a small screw driver I pried the plastic ring off showing 2 springs. the small one lets air to enter the tank, the larger one lets built up pressure to escape, which wasn't to my liking. By cutting the large spring down and snapping the plastic ring back on, I could now blow through the back which means it won't build up as much pressure at the cap. But still not to my liking, so I snipped a little more of the spring, snapped it back together and now all is right with the universe.. It still gives a little puff when cap removed but nothing like before. I hope this helps those with too much back pressure, it work for me....
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona
Re: Fixing a gas cap to vent properly

I saw a post about this last week and made the same modification to my new cap a couple of days ago. Works like a champ!
Thanks for sharing pictures though, I was blind in making my mod, but easy to figure out.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:18 PM   #3
hamjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjet View Post
My old gas cap always vented well since new, but the rubber seal went bad, so I went to Napa to get a new one. I could suck through it just like the old one so I thought all was well, even though it looked like a different cap.. WoW!! Big back pressure when I tried to remove it a day later. I didn't like that so I thought about seeing what I could do. Looking at the bottom you can see the difference. so by spreading the small tangs, the plastic part comes right out. then with a small screw driver I pried the plastic ring off showing 2 springs. the small one lets air to enter the tank, the larger one lets built up pressure to escape, which wasn't to my liking. By cutting the large spring down and snapping the plastic ring back on, I could now blow through the back which means it won't build up as much pressure at the cap. But still not to my liking, so I snipped a little more of the spring, snapped it back together and now all is right with the universe.. It still gives a little puff when cap removed but nothing like before. I hope this helps those with too much back pressure, it work for me....
more pics
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #4
samkost

Thanks Hamjet for this great info.
I have to ask, do you know if this NAPA part shown will work for my year 1972 C10 with the EEC?
Thanks again.
samkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkost View Post
Thanks Hamjet for this great info.
I have to ask, do you know if this NAPA part shown will work for my year 1972 C10 with the EEC?
Thanks again.
If you have a vapor recovery system, the canister absorbs the vapors, and you should not be getting pressure buildup, IIRC.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:53 PM   #6
70STOVEBOLT

I took 1/8" thick rubber gasket material and made a new gasket for mine when the rubber deteriorated and would not seal any longer.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
skinnan

I'm stupid. I would've pulled the gasket off of the new cap and put it on the old cap.....
skinnan is offline   Reply With Quote