The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #1
adis

Free '76 3/4 Ton Project

OK, I've fought the good fight for almost 5 years, but I'm giving up on the '76 - I just don't have the time, expertise, money, equipment, facilities, or patience anymore. So, I'm offering it up to the forum first. After a week I'll put it on CL, and if nobody bites - it's going to the yard.

It's a '76 3/4 ton standard cab LWB K20 Silverado, 8400 gvw, 44 (4.10)/400/350/203/14 AC truck. It's very rusty underneath, but I think it is rust from sitting in a field or something, because the steel higher up seems good. Or I think it might have begun life in Canada, so maybe bad winters just ate away the metal. The frame and suspension is pitted and probably only fit for a work truck. I started work on the back end, got new springs, hangars, scrubbed and Por50'd the frame, new repop gas tanks, etc. - but it's still pretty gnarly. The bottom of the cab is completely rusted through (supports and all) as is the bottom of the rad support, but the interior is still pretty nice. Fenders, doors, OK - hood taco'd.

Here's the story right now: last april I finished rebuilding the trans and took it out for a road test. Something blew up. At the time I thought it was the tranny - since I tried to do all the nifty upgrades to it and figured I did something wrong. I didnt have time to do any more to the truck before I deployed, and now I'm back. I tried to pull the trans to take a look, but I can't rotate the engine by hand to get the last converter bolt out. The truck sat for 8 months, so maybe the motor is frozen, or maybe I blew the motor and the trans is fine - I don't know, and I am fed up trying to figure it out.

There are some good parts, and I'm sure you could pocket some money if you have the time and desire to part the truck. Or, maybe you can make it go - I had it for almost 5 years, and besides the 100 mile trip home from when I bought it - I've probably only put 10 miles on it. It is beyond my ability to fix.

I'm keeping the bed/box, and bumper brackets, as well as maybe a few choice parts (I may take the AC parts out), but other than that - it is a complete truck.

I'm not interested in tire kickers, if you want it and can take it, then come get it. It will take some finagling to get it on your flatbed since it doesn't move on it's own and my driveway is on a hill off a pretty narrow lane. But if you can bring some help, we can figure it out.

I have a good OH title, and the truck is in Crownsville, MD (near Annapolis) PM me if you're interested. Look at my profile for a picture - it hasn't changed too much in the years since that was taken. - mark

Old 03-17-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Free '76 3/4 Ton Project

when can I come get it?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #3
adis

Claimed, pending pick up and case of beer!
Old 03-19-2018, 05:29 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I just wanted to post a thank you to Mark for giving me his project which I am going to go forward with and restore. He is a real nice stand up guy and it was a pleasure to meet him

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #5
TKCR

I'm glad to see someone got her. I would hate to see that go to the salvage yard.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:08 AM   #6
adis

Likewise, Bob. You're a master with a trailer! Good luck with the build, and please keep us informed of your progress. - mark