The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
50Chevydad

Rochester carb rebuild

Howdy inherited a 1950 3100 and need to rebuild the carbeurator. I was told to bring it to a shop but I wanted to try it myself. I think I bought the right rebuild kit on eBay, a spring is a little kinked, and looking at the shop manual I need a special set of tools, but it looks like you could just get by with a screwdriver. Never really wrenched on a car so just wondering how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
50Chevydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:37 AM   #2
James903

Re: Rochester carb rebuild

You have to start somewhere. If you have a manual just go for it. I’ve always just done it on a towel and laid out the parts as I take it apart. Then get some carb dip (it’s in a gallon size paint can) and carb cleaner from the auto parts store. It’s a lot easier then you think just take your time.
James903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Do you know the model of carb? You can usually find all sorts of info in youtube or just by doing a search on the net. I've done several single barrel rochesters in the past and by far they are the easiest to work on. Only problem you may encounter that requires shop work is worn areas where the butterfly throttle shaft is causing a leak. Otherwise, just go for it.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #4
50Chevydad

I believe it's a Rochester model b carb; mikes carbeurator has a video on YouTube covering the whole disassembly and cleaning and he doesn't really use any special tools. Well if you guys say it's not too hard I suppose I'll take a crack at it. After reading the manual and watching the video I will definitely be taking my time and taking lots of pictures don't want any screws flying around in the engine. In the rebuild video some kind on arm having to do with the throttle might need to be brazed back together if it was loose but I know someone who could help w that.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2018, 10:58 PM   #5
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

The worst that can happen is you have to take it to a shop but I doubt there's many old mechanics left that work on these carbs these days. Another possibility is buying one but I found out years ago that unless it's a brand new one, you will get some real junkers. Rebuilt ones are basically pieced together from many other junked ones.

Let us know how it goes.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #6
68Gold/white

Just take it apart, go slow, don't force anything apart...

Post pictures of things you have questions about, here. Someone will have an answer.

Would be best to get a new float.

That is one of the simplest carbs made. You will be fine!!!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #7
Coley

Smile Re: Rochester carb rebuild

Remember a carb does not have a lot of moving parts...it is primarily a flow device.
This makes it very different than a transmission or rear diff or an engine which usually fails due to wear....not 'flow' issues.

As a result and in my opinion...the biggest problem for the average carb is it being plugged with dirt or fuel varnish, etc....thus impeding its air/fuel flow characteristics.
Get a new gasket set and carefully disassemble it and clean it to anti-septic proportions and carefully follow the re-assembly instructions.
Take your time....if it doesn't make sense, then stop. Go to youtube (some great videos there) or come here and get some advice....then proceed.

If you are thorough and patient...you'll like the results.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #8
Richard2112

I've rebuilt several Q-jets with good results. Haven't found a real need for any special tools. I found that having pieces of wire (various thicknesses) was the only "special tools" required. You want to be certain the holes are all open to wherever they lead. Clean, clean, clean...
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #9
50Chevydad

Hey everyone took awhile to get around to it but I took the carb apart for cleaning and it seems pretty simple to service but one of the little holes for fuel in the top seems to be plugged very good! I soaked it incarb cleaner for quite awhile and running a wire brush over but it had no effect. The plug seems very solid, not sure if anything can be done. Has anyone dealt with this before? Thanks for everyone's help!
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2018, 11:17 PM   #10
pritch

I find a tip-cleaner tool for a cutting torch works well for those small holes. Get some pipe cleaners, too, but I had some trouble finding them last time. I ended up getting 'fuzzy sticks' at a hobby store
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote