The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
dave68

Hard brake pedal...

Hi all, I need help from the experts-that's you! I have a 68 LWB C10 that underwent a frame-off resto. The truck came with 11"X2" drums on all 4 corners. During the resto I replaced: lines, hoses, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, shoes and drums with new. The push rod and parking brake cable are adjusted properly and it has been bled repeatedly, with no air or leaks noticed. The auto-adjusters work as advertised. That said, here is the problem: I have to almost stand on the brake pedal to make the truck come to a stop. It does not swerve and stops straight and true when the brakes are applied even during high speed stops. All the shoes appear to be contacting the entire drum surface and are not glazed... I have a theory: The friction material is too hard? -Has anyone else had this problem in the past? I do not want to upgrade to dics or add power assist, as the truck was restored to almost original. Before the resto, the orginal 45 year old brakes stopped the truck with little effort, so it has to be a recent addition causing the problem... Please let me know what you think. -Dave
dave68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
bugmasta

Re: Hard brake pedal...

Get a softer shoe. They won't last as long and will be dirtier, but will stop better. Old shoe composites were softer because EPA was not a factor. Go to napa and ask for the softest shoe they got.

I converted my truck to discs, but can speak from experience with my 65 VW that still runs all drums that this is key to get soft shoes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Club longbed ...cause girls like'em long!!!!!
bugmasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Shyguy

You probably did, but I will ask the question any way. Did you clean the drums real good with brake cleaner before you installed them?

Like others said, it is a problem with too hard of a shoe. In the old days we use to arch the new shoes to make sure they were making good contact, but I don't that has to be done on newer shoes.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
dave68

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmasta View Post
Get a softer shoe. They won't last as long and will be dirtier, but will stop better. Old shoe composites were softer because EPA was not a factor. Go to napa and ask for the softest shoe they got.

I converted my truck to discs, but can speak from experience with my 65 VW that still runs all drums that this is key to get soft shoes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Awesome, this is what I thought as well. Thanks for the advice, I'll hit up NAPA in the AM! -Dave
Old 06-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
dave68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyguy View Post
You probably did, but I will ask the question any way. Did you clean the drums real good with brake cleaner before you installed them?

Like others said, it is a problem with too hard of a shoe. In the old days we use to arch the new shoes to make sure they were making good contact, but I don't that has to be done on newer shoes.
Hi, yes they were cleaned before installation. I agree, the shoe friction material is too hard. The EPA put a stop to brake arching a long time ago due to the asbestos dust they produced. Eventually, the drum will wear the shoes into the matching contour. Arching made this process wayyy faster. Thank you for the reply, I'll start the hunt tomorrow to find a softer shoe. -Dave
Old 06-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
Hard_Rain420

I've had the similar problem before and found out the brake booster was bad assuming you have pwr. brakes.
Hard_Rain420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

^ Yeah, do you have power brakes? A defective booster will do it.

Now if you don't have power brakes, then as mentioned above, the material they're made of has a lot to do with the stopping power. I had a similar problem on one of mine and wound up having to go to different brake shoe manufacturer.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
dave68

Hi all, it was indeed the brake shoe material. I could not get a straight answer out of the parts store folks, as they just sell parts, and don't always know a whole lot about them. I then called the service techs at Raybestos and they told me for that particualr application I would require a soft organic shoe, P/N: 280RP or 280RR. Unfortunately, they no longer make these type of shoes. I did luck out and get the last set Rock Auto had on the shelf. I installed them this afernoon, and depite not being broke in yet, are way better than the semi-metalic Professional Grade shoes that had been on there for weeks. Thanks again, I appreciate your insight, all better. -Dave