The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
DaMole

New venture, new questions!

Well hello everyone!

I've followed this forum and a few others for quite a while. I've been fortunate enough to gain a lot of insight from other people's posts and it has all been invaluable. My only regret is that I wish this website was around the last time me and my dad decided to do our '64 swb and a 67swb! So the time has come again for me to tackle another project. This one happened one day when me and my wife were driving and out of the blue she said, "I want an old truck". After regaining control of the vehicle and thinking I just had a heart attack, I quickly agreed! So we found one and drove it home, barely. It definitely needs a lot of work and I'm up for the task. Did I mention that it's PURPLE?!?! Aside from having two of these trucks under my belt, I was lucky enough to work in a paint and body shop as well as a welding/fab shop for quite a few years, so it won't be for long! I'm excited to get started!

I've already ordered my 4/6 kit from ECE, sway bars, all new brakes and whatnot. I'm basically going to get this truck mechanically sound so we can enjoy it and when we're ready, start on the body work.

So here's where I would like to ask the community for your input. Given the popularity and availability of 5.3ls engines, we've decided to go this route. Comparatively, the cost of doing a ls vs. a full rebuild of a gen I sbc seems like a no-brainer - especially since building a 355 or whatever your choice of CID will be significantly higher to make the same power. With that being said,
I've never attempted to do the "ls swap" but I know I can do it. As far as a "parts" list, I'm aware of some bits and pieces but to get it up and going and to be able to cruise, I don't know. From what I can tell, the process is fairly simple. BTW, I'm sure this is the first question some will ask, I want to go the carburetor route. From what I've gathered, and anyone please chime in if I'm wrong, here's what I'll need.

Intake (edelbrock performer rpm)
Carb (open to suggestions) linkage?
MSD ignition controller (6010 or 6012 depending)
Cam/springs (open to suggestions)
Oil pan?
engine mounts
fuel system? and can i still use the in cab tank for now?

Basically I'm asking for a parts list! lol . I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing but that's why I ask you guys! Thanks for any and all help in advance! I hope to get started on this project soon and post a lot of pics!

Name:  FullSizeRender_4.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  106.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1956.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  47.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1950.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  58.0 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender_1.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  40.8 KB
DaMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:36 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: New venture, new questions!

I think you can scratch the oil pan off your list I don't think you have to have one to put a 5.3 in that truck. As far as the in cab tank sure you can leave it there. If I were to put a carb on a ride around truck I would go with a Edelbrock 600 electric choke. Use either Camaro manifolds or Trailblazer manifolds, the 5.3 TB manifolds are the same as the SS ones so that can help you expand your search since they have been discontinued at the parts counter of the dealer. Good luck and welcome to the site, if you look down the list of forums, there is one for the ls swaps. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:43 PM   #3
70cst

Hay DaMole ...

to the forums and from Ohio.

Here is a bump for you

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:50 PM   #4
70cst

Oh yes ...

Nice ride you have

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:08 AM   #5
DaMole

Thank you hugger! Every little bit helps. And just being able to mark that pan off my list saved me a chunk of money! I'm open to manifolds or headers at this point so either work for me. Hello 70cst! Thank you for the welcome!
Old 04-30-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
Lokin4AReason

welcome to the site ...
Old 04-30-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
Hart_Rod

Welcome to the board. I would change the oil pan. It's much easier to do while the engine is out and if you ever decide to go lower in the future, it won't be an obstacle. Just my $.02 .
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
DaMole

That's what I was curious about. I have already ordered my drop kit from ECE (4/6) and I was sure about it. I was thinking more of possible clearance issues at the cross member than actually bottoming out. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-30-2015, 12:50 PM   #9
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMole View Post
That's what I was curious about. I have already ordered my drop kit from ECE (4/6) and I was sure about it. I was thinking more of possible clearance issues at the cross member than actually bottoming out. Thanks for the tip!
What motor mounts are you using?
Old 04-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #10
Willie Makeit

I agree with Rob. The stock 5.3 oil pan hangs about 2 - 2 1/2" below the cross member when using stock towers and Dirty Dingo plates. I used a Cadillac CTS-V pan and it sits dang near flush with the bottom surface of the cross member. Search eBay, found mine with new gasket, pickup tube, and windage tray for less than $200 shipped. There is a guy that sells them as "new take off's".

I would also suggest reconsidering the carb route. To take full advantage of the LS's potential, stay with the multi-port injection for the ease of tuning, gas mileage and quite frankly, the ability to have plenty of HP and still manage good MPG. Once it's tuned, it's pretty much a "set it and forget it" outfit. Not to mention, all the other ancillary benefits of the engine, for example if you choose to stay with the drive by wire pedal you have the benefit of cruise control with little more than running just a few wires.

I too was a doubter concerning all the electronics, wiring, tuning, etc (not to mention my lack of experience and knowledge of how this stuff works) of the EFI but now that I have it, you couldn't GIVE me an engine with a carb on it. Seriously.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:27 PM   #11
DaMole

Rob - I was looking at the DD plates as it seems almost everyone uses them with great success.

Willie - I will definitely look into the cadi pan. Also, it seems that it's a pretty even split on the LS being carbed or staying with EFI. Personally, my reasoning with going carbed is to keep it simple. No ECMs to pay someone to tune. No harnesses to rework along with still needing electronics to work on it if you have to re-tune. I've read that the soft ware to do this is quite expensive. That's what I was wanting to avoid. Would it give me better gas milage or a few extra bells and whistles, absolutely. But the idea of having to send my ECM to someone to flash it in the event of redoing it came up is, to me, defeating the purpose of having an classic truck that I can work on. I do wonder now if the LS is my best option as compared to redoing a gen I sbc? Geez...now I'm doubting myself! lol.

Thank you both for your input. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:28 PM   #12
Kennuck

What Willie said.

For less than the cost of the manifold, carb and ignition controller you could buy a stand alone engine harness and have the ECM programmed to keep the fuel injection. If you modify the harness yourself it will cost even less. The fuel injection will always be superior to a carb.

Here is a valuable resource for swap info. http://www.lt1swap.com/
3:73 gears, Boyd's Tank
2.5 / 4 drop 5 lug disc brakes
Vintage Air
18x8 Ridlers 255/55 frt. 18x9.5 275/60 rear
Kennuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:36 PM   #13
Advanced Design

I also suggest using the fuel injenction with the 5.3 for the reasons listed above. You will be very pleased. There is a nice build on LS1 tech with an LS swap in a burb and the builder went the carb route. He emailed me and said he wouldn't go carb route again as drivability and fuel mileage were way less than with fuel injection.

Nice truck and have fun with the build!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:56 PM   #14
DaMole

Ok. Now I'm seriously debating going the EFI route. My only issue is this. Besides the engine harness, don't I also need the pedal out of the cab? Here locally, I can get the 5.3, tranny and engine harness for around $700. This doesn't include the ECM or any other parts. Or is the ECM part of the engine harness? With that being said, having to come up with all these other parts, is it still cheaper? If so, what all do I need to make this swap work? If this was a Gen I rebuild, I, just like the rest of you guys, really wouldn't need much help. But honestly, I'm standing in the dark. Again, thanks for all of your input and suggestions. I really do appreciate it!

Last edited by DaMole; 05-01-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #15
Hart_Rod

You should ask for the pedal and the computer with the purchase (most pull-outs are sold with all the parts). In the long run it is cheaper (fuel mileage and reliability). It's just my opinion, BUT, you kinda defeat the purpose of going with and "LS" motor if you don't use the fuel injection.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #16
Advanced Design

Another option for consideration is finding a wrecked truck. I bought a 2004 with 140,000 miles that was rolled for $900. That way you get the harness, pcm, etc that you will need. Of course you have the hassle of disassembly and disposal of the carcass.

And, a lot of guys make good use by modifying the factory harness. Takes time. I will be using a harness from a supplier to save the time and hassle. There is more than enough to do on one of these builds.

And I don't know that we've answered your question about a parts list..have we?
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #17
DaMole

I wish my access to complete wrecks was that easy and cheap. That definitely would be the way to go for sure. My budget isn't all that big but I'm still trying to nail down all the loose ends to see if I can afford to do this.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:52 PM   #18
DaMole

Well, I've come to the conclusion that doing an LS swap isn't going to happen. With everything else we wanted to get done with our budget, it would make a few things impossible and keep us from getting to do other stuff with the truck a little later down the road. So I decided to go a head and just rebuild the 350 that's in it now. On the brighter side, it will allow us to be up and cruising within a week or so compared to a month or longer!
Old 05-05-2015, 11:51 AM   #19
chopnchaneled

Good luck and keep us posted