The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2015, 11:17 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Does the PO tell you how to restore your truck?

I got my truck from my dad and it's great getting his help on it when he isn't too bossy. Well, I see a battle on the horizon!

Once it's running I'm going to get some estimates on having the cab rust issues properly fixed OR I am going to get a new cab. Oh boy, dad isn't happy!

*He wants me to bondo it some more or rivet in patch panels.*

If you are in contact with the PO, is he (or she) telling you what to do with your truck?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:44 PM   #2
SCHRUMGMC

Re: Does the PO tell you how to restore your truck?

Thankfully mine was my Grandfathers
Old 05-05-2015, 12:04 AM   #3
leftybass209

Haha yeah, the PO of my truck was showing me pics of how he was going to do it, and I should do the same. I just politely tell people if they want to do the things they tell me there's plenty of classics out there for sale. That usually ends the "you know what would look cool?" Comments.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:15 AM   #4
HeavyD

Rivets and tin splashed with tar isnt right, and you know this...too bad the thought isnt shared. Never had issues with PO giving opinions but i never see them again. In your case make it run and drive good first, the save to do body correctly..you will be much happier. Good luck wih the battle!
Old 05-05-2015, 06:43 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

It's pretty simple. Just tell your dad there are better ways to do things these day. You are on a website full of guys restoring these trucks in their garages. It's nothing now for a truck to get rusted panels cut out and replaced in a garages in housing developments when back in the day you couldn't find a body shop to do such work. This is the right way to do it, it will last, and it will be all metal. ask him if he knows of any body jobs that stood the test of time.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:10 AM   #6
hugger6933

Just ask you dad "Wouldn't you want what is best for both Me and the truck?"and then ask him "Shouldn't I protect the investment that you have helped me with?" Then tell him I said you really shouldn't half way to the repair because it won't last. And then if he starts getting on the offensive side say if you had this fixed right the first time we wouldn't be having this talk. I'm sure that will gain points when you talk about his past repairs on the cab floor.[I saw the pics and other post] I do know how it is to work with your dad. [Well not yours well you know what I mean] It can be some of the best and worst times you will get to share with him. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #7
In The Ten Ring

Thanks guys. I have come to believe that with my dad....his own success gets in the way. He's extremely frugal and innovative. He's usually right when it comes to repairs but when he's wrong, he's very wrong!

I'll try hugger's tactic. I think I made an impact last night when I said, "dad, whatever rivet and undercoat job we'll do will make the job of cutting out the rust and welding in a patch panel all the more difficult." I think I got through to him.

I came across a body man that quoted me a price of $30.00 per hour, local guy that works at a large dealership's body shop. What do you guys think of that price?
Old 05-05-2015, 08:16 AM   #8
diggerbob

Beware of so-called "body men" that just suddenly come across your path. I have been taken by one of those when I started redoing my truck. It ended up costing me a lot more time and money than I planned to spend because I had to redo a lot of the work that he did. Most importantly, if someone says that they have a better place to work on it than your own garage, look out! You need to keep physical possession of your truck unless you are dealing with someone that you can really trust.
diggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #9
KyleSeal

Maybe your dad is the one that worked on my 70 because I havent seen more rivets and weird use of bondo anywhere in my life. Dont rivet.. do it correctly itll help value later and appearance. Anyways, the PO isn't in contact with me, thank god, but my dad does want to make carbon fiber panels for my truck.. I'm not such a big fan of them. I like traditional so I dont know how to say no to the carbon fiber without hurting feelings.

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #10
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Thanks guys. I have come to believe that with my dad....his own success gets in the way. He's extremely frugal and innovative. He's usually right when it comes to repairs but when he's wrong, he's very wrong!

I'll try hugger's tactic. I think I made an impact last night when I said, "dad, whatever rivet and undercoat job we'll do will make the job of cutting out the rust and welding in a patch panel all the more difficult." I think I got through to him.

I came across a body man that quoted me a price of $30.00 per hour, local guy that works at a large dealership's body shop. What do you guys think of that price?
How one deals with his Dad is unique to each of us. He probably is just trying to make sure you don't spend your money on something that is not needed.
My dad used to patch rusty floor holes with chunks of traffic signs (don't know where they came from), couple layers of cardboard, little bit of plastic from a trash sack, lay new carpet down. Bamm. Dun.
He would also cut open a beer can and wrap it around a leaky exhaust pipe and then hose clamp it in place.
I think his generation thought they were all McGuivers.
As to the $30 per hour, that doesn't sound too bad if he is providing tools, air, garage space. But if it's at my garage, my tools, won't go over $25.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #11
In The Ten Ring

My dad really is a "McGuiver" but like the best of them, he doesn't know everything. That time he convinced me to "let your deposit be the last month's rent" left me with a horrible credit score and a collection agency chasing me until I paid the ransom. Great idea dad!

I don't think my garage is big enough to do any body work in. I do see the obvious benefit of him coming to me to do the work.....maybe I could do something with that if I take out that row of wall shelves and put the bed at my dad's place, covered with a tarp (bed has to come off for cab corners, so I have read here).

When I have to hire contractors to work on things I almost never leave them alone. I'll have to really look into this.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #12
Custom/Ten

Talking Re: Does the PO tell you how to restore your truck?

Quote:
I got my truck from my dad and it's great getting his help on it when he isn't too bossy. Well, I see a battle on the horizon!

Once it's running I'm going to get some estimates on having the cab rust issues properly fixed OR I am going to get a new cab. Oh boy, dad isn't happy!

If you are in contact with the PO, is he (or she) telling you what to do with your truck?
The day I bought my truck the stranger told me to keep it stock and paint it blue, then said if I wanted to bring it back to him he might even buy it back from me. Even nice enough to tell what the value would be, 5000 bucks. I don't think he would be happy lol!
Custom/Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #13
davepl

Quote:

My Dad's dead and so is the PO of the truck I'm currently restoring. So when your dad *****es about how you do or don't work on the truck he gave you (unless you bought it, but you said 'got'), thank him. I wouldn't rivet-chicken-wire my car, that's for sure, but is it yours?

Now if you paid full market value from it, politely remind him of that and do what you will. If you park it at his house he still has a say in what it looks like though.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #14
In The Ten Ring

I did pay for it, in a way. Some of you would no doubt consider the price too high!

My older brother gave my parents a terrible time with alcohol, smoking (he's dying from that one now), and even drugs. Dad tried beating him half to death but that didn't work. So with me, he decided on a different tactic.

When I was 12 he sat me down and he had his Walther P38 in hand. He said, "son, if you can get to age 21 without ever drinking, smoking, doing drugs, dipping snuff, or chewing tobacco I will give you the choice between this and my truck."

Avoiding those things was easy for me.....as I never had the desire anyway. When I turned 21 I ended up with both and never had to lie to dad. The P38 is a great shooting iron and I used it soon after getting it to qualify for my CCW.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:04 PM   #15
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

My dad used to tell me (and still does) "You can half ass it and do it again, or you can do it right the first time."
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #16
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Does the PO tell you how to restore your truck?

I've had all kinds of help on mine. How to do things and why did you do that! They are going to tell you how and why no matter what it's the way we are made.
People on here all the time asking what they should are shouldn't do to their trucks!

It's your truck do as you please with it.

As for your dad only you know how to handle that one.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote