The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2017, 01:43 AM   #1
392Hemi

Door Rubber Question

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some help on door seals, and was hoping someone would know if I need BOTH the cab rubber seal that goes around the door frame, and the rubber seal that also goes on the door? Or just one or the other? I don't remember there being both so I am a little confused. #3 and #4 is what I'm referencing. Thanks!
Attached Images

392Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:11 AM   #2
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Re: Door Rubber Question

Every original beater I've taken apart had remnants of both seals. I call the outer one (on the door) "weatherstrip" and the inner one (on the door frame) "wind lace." I usually use just the weatherstrip on the door, but when I've had trucks upholstered they will often add the inner wind lace in a matching color.
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:29 AM   #3
dsraven

be aware that some of the new door seals are very stiff and can cause issues with the door fitment because they don't squash out well. some will say to slam the door and park the truck in the sun forever so they take a shape to fit. my buddy had that issue with brand new seals from a reputable supplier. he ended up going with a soffseal which was like night and day in comaparison. he had his doors adjusted and fit properly, painted his truck and then went to install the new seals. the door wouldn't close to fit the body and if he were to tighten the door latch to get the door to fit then he wouldn't be able to unlatch the door. he ended up replacing the seals with the soffseal units and his door closed well and sealed well. the seals need to be glued to the door so it is a pain to install the wrong part or install the right part the wrong way around (they do have a right and wrong way. best to look at the old ones before you take them off, pics of the disassembly or strip down are important).
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #4
jweb

You should have both. There are differences in the windlace that attaches to the cab I beleive 47-early 49 had a screw on retaining strip. While the late 49-55 had a channel welded to the cab that the widlace presses into.

47-49: https://www.classicparts.com/1947-Ea...ctinfo/03-105/

49-55: https://www.classicparts.com/Late-19...ctinfo/03-106/

Also I had the issue dsraven explained with the weather stripping that glues on the door. Originally I used Precision brand and I couldn't get my doors to close. I had to tear it off and replaced it with this: https://metrommp.com/index.cfm?f=typ...20Side%20Seals
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:00 AM   #5
392Hemi

Appreciate the responses everyone. The weather strip I bought from classic parts I believe says it needs glued. I don't see any way for a seal to press on to my 1950 cab..
Old 11-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
jweb

The weatherstripping and windlace are different.

Here's a photo of the windlace channel in my '51 cab. I think you can get replacements here: https://www.classicparts.com/1949-54...tinfo/03-135/#

The weatherstripping does get glued to the door, here's a how to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuuZpec4rXo
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2017, 05:19 PM   #7
392Hemi

Weird , I wonder how that does anything since it's on the inside? I guess the door would butt up against it...
Old 11-07-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
jweb

It does press against the door. It also covers the raw edge of the headliner if you are using a stock cardboard headliner. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of it installed, my truck is apart for paint right now.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #9
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
be aware that some of the new door seals are very stiff and can cause issues with the door fitment because they don't squash out well. some will say to slam the door and park the truck in the sun forever so they take a shape to fit. my buddy had that issue with brand new seals from a reputable supplier. he ended up going with a soffseal which was like night and day in comaparison. he had his doors adjusted and fit properly, painted his truck and then went to install the new seals. the door wouldn't close to fit the body and if he were to tighten the door latch to get the door to fit then he wouldn't be able to unlatch the door. he ended up replacing the seals with the soffseal units and his door closed well and sealed well. the seals need to be glued to the door so it is a pain to install the wrong part or install the right part the wrong way around (they do have a right and wrong way. best to look at the old ones before you take them off, pics of the disassembly or strip down are important).
DSraven is dead on, (again) you may need to make some adjustment and I would urge you to contact SOFF SEAL for your door weatherstripping. I went thru (2) previous OEM suppliers and could never get my door closed at all until I went to SOFF SEAL. They have the small press in clips for your door. Check them out.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:54 AM   #10
hogfarm

When I put windlace rubber in my 54,it cut cab noise in half
hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote