The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #1
53lowdown

SBC Rocker arm tick

Ok, I'm stumped. I can't get a rocker arm to stop ticking. 1970, 350 chevy engine. Stock cam, hydraulic lifters. Engine was rebuilt I believe about 12 years ago, but has sat for years at a time since then. Oil pressure is normal. I've been using as daily driver for past couple of months, and this ticking I just can't figure out.

Issue: Exhaust rocker on #7 cylinder ticks nearly constantly. Not when first starting, but maybe a minute or two after startup, then almost all of the time. Sometimes at around 1600 RPM it will rhythmically tick for 5 seconds, stop ticking for 5 seconds, and repeat. I've used a hose as a stethoscope - It's not exhaust leak. The ticking is definately coming from the #7 exhaust rocker.

I've adjusted using standard methods, engine off, tdc #1, then tdc#6 per http://berlinetta.info/Lash.htm

Then also with engine running, loosen until clack, then tighten down until ticking stops, then 1/2 turn more.

In fact, it will continue to tick even when tightened so far that cylinder starts missing.

Looked at and measured the stud - it is not pulling out. Checked for weak/broken valve spring by pressing with hammer handle. It compresses same as other valves. Looked at rocker, washer and nut. all look good, but swapped the rocker, nut, washer and pushrod with another cylinder. Still no luck.

Ok, so it has to be a bad lifter right? Nope, just put in all new lifters, adjusted rockers using both methods and Exhaust #7 is still ticking. Can't adjust it away.

I followed this thread with a lot of interest because I'm having similar issues:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733510

Any other ideas? I'm thinking about just getting earmuffs....
53lowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
jayoldschool

Re: SBC Rocker arm tick

I had the same problem with my 65 C10. One would clatter. It would go away when properly lashed, but would loosen up. It was solved by a new rocker arm nut, a freebie from my local machine shop. Installed, lashed, two years of no clatter. I've read that you can re-squish them into an oval with a vise, but they are cheap, so why bother? However... seeing that you tried swapping over the rocker and the nut, I'm at a loss.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:31 PM   #3
lumpy63

Did you have a good look at the valve stem tip? Look for uneven wearing or pitting. If not my best guess is the lifter.
lumpy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:32 PM   #4
lumpy63

Sorry , you replaced the lifters...
lumpy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:30 AM   #5
53lowdown

Forgot to mention - all new rocker arm nuts also. But that gives me an idea - what if the threads on that stud are bad? All this work and I don't recall inspecting them that closely. I'll take a closer look today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
I had the same problem with my 65 C10. One would clatter. It would go away when properly lashed, but would loosen up. It was solved by a new rocker arm nut, a freebie from my local machine shop. Installed, lashed, two years of no clatter. I've read that you can re-squish them into an oval with a vise, but they are cheap, so why bother? However... seeing that you tried swapping over the rocker and the nut, I'm at a loss.
53lowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:37 AM   #6
jchav62
1962 C-10

I've gone up to 3/4 turn past on my rockers.

Maybe a cam issue?
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/

1962 C10 Shortbed Fleetside 327/th350 GV overdrive
1974 C10 Longbed Fleetside 350/th350 "The Trash Truck"
1999 Chevy 2500 OBS, Longbed 5.7/4L80E 4x4
2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4x4
jchav62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
Reggler

What about the pushrod? Could it have a slight bend to it?
Reggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #8
Tom
driving is in my blood

Cam starting to flatten?
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:20 PM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Old cam and new lifters... possible cam lobe wiping out and eating the bottom of the lifter too.

Check your oil for fine metal particles in it. Will look like fine glitter.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:35 AM   #10
GRX

In situations like this I start moving parts. Switch rocker & ball assembly from the ticking cylinder with another. If still #7 you know the problem is deeper.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #11
luvbowties

Smile Re: SBC Rocker arm tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53lowdown View Post
Ok, I'm stumped. I can't get a rocker arm to stop ticking. 1970, 350 chevy engine. Stock cam, hydraulic lifters. Engine was rebuilt I believe about 12 years ago, but has sat for years at a time since then. Oil pressure is normal. I've been using as daily driver for past couple of months, and this ticking I just can't figure out.

Issue: Exhaust rocker on #7 cylinder ticks nearly constantly. Not when first starting, but maybe a minute or two after startup, then almost all of the time. Sometimes at around 1600 RPM it will rhythmically tick for 5 seconds, stop ticking for 5 seconds, and repeat. I've used a hose as a stethoscope - It's not exhaust leak. The ticking is definately coming from the #7 exhaust rocker.

I've adjusted using standard methods, engine off, tdc #1, then tdc#6 per http://berlinetta.info/Lash.htm

Then also with engine running, loosen until clack, then tighten down until ticking stops, then 1/2 turn more.

In fact, it will continue to tick even when tightened so far that cylinder starts missing.

Looked at and measured the stud - it is not pulling out. Checked for weak/broken valve spring by pressing with hammer handle. It compresses same as other valves. Looked at rocker, washer and nut. all look good, but swapped the rocker, nut, washer and pushrod with another cylinder. Still no luck.

Ok, so it has to be a bad lifter right? Nope, just put in all new lifters, adjusted rockers using both methods and Exhaust #7 is still ticking. Can't adjust it away.

I followed this thread with a lot of interest because I'm having similar issues:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733510

Any other ideas? I'm thinking about just getting earmuffs....

I would still remove and swap spring and any shims. Ask me how I know? Hint: too many hours to admit it. HTH; and please let us know; then you and I will compare hours spent.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote