The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2017, 10:51 AM   #1
6768chevylover

Champion radiators

Is anyone running a Champion two core aluminum radiator?
http://www.championradiators.com/Che...r-v8-1967-1972 I have to 13" electric fans with out a shroud on it and it runs cool(180 or below) when the temps are below 50 degrees. When it gets warmer( and i'm driving up the hills, the temperature like to run hotter(180 or higher).. My engine if I'm lucky maybe produces 300hp. The advertisement says it cools up to 550hp. I still have my mechanical fan and shroud and thinking of trying that again but I like the looks of having electric fans. Is this normal or am I domed when the temps start getting even warm here?
6768chevylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:15 PM   #2
hemi43

Re: Champion radiators

I've modified quite a few of these and find them to be fairly thin on the tanks. I guess it all boils down to what you want to pay. I only use Howe Racing products. I build my own tanks and have only bought their cores, but I checked their site and they do have a bolt-in one for our trucks. They're way more expensive than the Chinese made Champion, but you're not comparing apples to apples.
http://howeracing.com/index.php/stor...-67-72-mt.html

As far as trying to cool your engine, the best advice I can give you is ditch the mechanical fan and stay with electric. The most important part though is your shroud. Make sure you cover the entire surface of the rad core with the shroud and you'll have zero overheating issues. Too often I've guys with a round electric fan zip tied to the core and they wonder why they over heat. Flex-a-Lite makes a good fan with the shroud as a unit, but I can't recall if they make one big enough to cover the size of core used in a 67-72 truck, but I'm sure they do.

Edit; it seems like the core size is around 17X28. If you installed a fan/shroud setup like the link below, you'll never have over heating issues.

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/electric...oller-678.html

Last edited by hemi43; 03-02-2017 at 12:36 PM.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote