The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Kidd-7

Fuel Filter question

I remember reading about adding filters, but can't find any of the threads,
- I need to replace the rubber fuel hoses, so I'm thinking of pulling the tank and cleaning it out, plus adding a fuel filter.
- From what I remember it's recomended to install it before the pump, to help save the pump.
- I do remember reading negative things about the glass filters.
- so here's the question: I need advice. What type of filter is good, brand, etc? Placement? Anything else I should take care of while I'm in there?
Thanks.

BTW: 71 C-10; in cab tank.

71 C-10 - 307 - 3 on tree
01 Ford Explorer 5.0 v8
96 Mercury Cougar v8
79 Trans Am 403 Olds
Kidd-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
MidLifer

Re: Fuel Filter question

Some folks have posted that the glass filters can break with obvious negative consequences. I ran one for a couple years without that happening but it did not do its job very well - I ended up with a lot of crap in the carb that wasn't getting filtered out. I switched to a generic plastic filter that I got at a parts store and it seems to be working better.

Have not heard about before the pump/after the pump. Mine is just before the carb. i run a stock mechanical fuel pump.
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
volksworld

before the pump keeps crap out of the pump...after the pump keeps pieces of a self destructing pump out of the carb...most people want them where they're easy to see and change...under the cab tends to be forgotton about...nothing wrong with 2 ...and personally gasoline and glass shouldn't be in the same sentence
volksworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
camrycurt

I had heard that it was not a good idea to put an inline filter before the fuel pump because you were adding a restriction in the line that the pump was not designed to draw fuel through. This could result in poor/restricted fuel delivery to the pump.

The better idea is to put the filter in the line between the pump and carb as has been suggested. The fuel is pressurized by the pump in that line and so there will be no problems flowing fuel to the carb.

And yes, stay away from glass filters. I ran a cheapie plastic Fram inline filter but even that made me (and others that saw it) nervous so I'm switching to an all metal Fram filter.

I did remove the filter in the carb when I added the inline filter, although others have kept both for the extra protection.

1970 C/10, 250 L6 with Rochester BV carb, SM465 4 speed, 3.73 open rear
camrycurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
volksworld

yes obviously its a lot easier to push gas thru a half clogged filter than for the pump to pull it...so the pre pump filter would need more flow and capacity and be changed more often than post...I've seen many factory applications with the filter in either position...but usually the pre pump ones are on cars without a strainer on the fuel pickup
volksworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Only need one filter after the pump. If you must use an inline... use one without glass. Having a second filter before the pump is overkill. A new pump costs $35 bucks. A new carb cost $250+ bucks.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
BiggSixx1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrycurt View Post
I had heard that it was not a good idea to put an inline filter before the fuel pump because you were adding a restriction in the line that the pump was not designed to draw fuel through. This could result in poor/restricted fuel delivery to the pump.
Can anyone confirm this? I stripped out the fuel inlet on my carb, which is also where you put the fuel filter on my carb. I JB welded it back on and installed in inline filter.. I installed it before the fuel pump and haven't had a problem with it.. Reasoning behind doing it that way: Some call it taking the path of least resistance, others call it laziness. I could have clipped a little spot in the soft rubber line before the pump, which took just a minute or two to install... Or break into the hardline that runs from my fuel pump to carb, havent to cut the hardline, install more soft line, hose clamps, etc... Naturally I chose to install it where it was easiest to install. The way I see it, fuel pressure is fuel pressure whether it's being pushed or pulled seems irrelevant to me? But idk, I'm a rookie

Sorry, not trying to Hijack this tread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545486

Gentlemen wear a bow tie.
BiggSixx1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
chewychevy67

My 67 has a filter from the factory under the cab before the pump and one at the Carb. Its even on the spid. Couldn't,t have been too bad of an idea if the factory was doing it.
chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
Rufton

I prefer large filter before pump like many Fo*d applications. Debris in the pump check valves can affect pump efficiency. Doesn't hurt to also have a last chance filter before carb in case old rubber lines or old pump sheds debris.

I never worried about cheapo glass filter breaking because it was mounted safely away from possible hard knocks. Some OEM applications have quality glass filters; which I would love to have. The problem I had w/ glass filter was the cheap plastic nipple which sprang a leak.
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrycurt View Post

I did remove the filter in the carb when I added the inline filter, although others have kept both for the extra protection.

The in carb filter in my '70 catches a lot of fine particles that my NAPA inline filters miss. It plugs up more often than the in line one. Maybe the particles aren't big enough to cause a problem with the carb but I would think that they would settle out in the float bowl.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I've been putting a plastic inline see-thru filter in the rubber hose between the cab and frame on all the trucks I've built for 22 years now. Never had a fuel pump fail either. Works for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #12
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

My '72 has the stock in-cab tank and 2 saddle tanks, and a metal-cased inline filter under the cab, after the selector. Also has the stock filter in the inlet of the Q-jet. Never had a problem with the fuel pump pulling through the filter. If memory serves, I've replaced the fuel pump one time in 36 years.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
67 chevelle

in a truck with fuel injection , and a pump between the tank and fuel rail , external type , a filter is necessary before the pump , in a carb application with a mechanical pump on the engine , a filter should be after the pump
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote