The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2015, 06:59 PM   #1
EARNHARDT#3

Clean rusty gas tank via electrolysis

I just wanted to share my experience. My trucks original tank was very rusty inside. I picked up another one dirt cheap locally that was also rusty but a good candidate to try this on. So I flushed it out with water as good as I could. Then I mixed up 4 cups of arm and hammer super washing soda with the water and filled up the tank. I stood it up against the wall in the same position as it would be in the truck. I had the sending unit removed. I took a piece of all thread I had laying around and screwed a wire nut on one end to insulate it from touching the bottom of the tank. On the other end I slipped about a 5" piece of fuel line over it to insulate it from touching the sending unit hole but let about an inch of all thread sticking out to hook my battery charger to. I stuck the all thread into the sending unit hole. Then I took my battery charger set on the 6v/6a setting and hooked the negative to the tank and the positive to the end of the all thread sticking out of the tank. The solution started making small bubbles immediately. Within a few hours the all thread started collecting rust! Over the course of a week I would remove the all thread and knock off the rust with a piece of scotch brite and rinse it clean in the sink. I also repositioned the rod from one side of the tank to the other a few times...even stuck it through the filler neck just to change the position in order to try to get different areas better. The water got very foamy and rusty after a week. So I emptied the water out and pressure washed the tank out. It is amazing how the rust came right off leaving nice shiny metal behind! This old tank is nice and clean inside now and should be good to use for many years again. I am a big fan of electrolysis now and will use it for other things I'm sure. If you aren't familiar with it you can find a lot more info by googling "electrolysis rust" or search YouTube for videos as well.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
swamp rat

Re: Clean rusty gas tank via electrolysis

The only question that comes to mind would be if the tanks are plated with something to keep the rust at bay origionally? if so how long till the rust comes back??

That said i think what you did was a real good idea to extend the life of the tank!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
EARNHARDT#3

You've got a very good point there. I guess time will tell. I am also going to snap a heavy duty magnet to the bottom of the tank when I install it. That will help collect any future rust from clogging up my fuel system.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:40 AM   #4
GuyO

After cleaning the tank in my Blazer with muriatic acid I used POR 15 to seal the inside of the tank to help prevent further rusting. Expensive but worked very well.
GuyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:56 AM   #5
EARNHARDT#3

Update on this....so there were a couple small spots of rust so I decided to let it soak again. Well it revealed a pinhole and I found 2 thin spots in the tank. So it's now scrap metal. Luckily browsing Craigslist for trailing arms I got a nice solid pair of trailing arms and a tank that has absolutely no rust inside of it. Brought it all home for $100. Pic of trailing arms now coated with POR15...
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2015, 03:47 PM   #6
barmanvarn

Nice idea. Am about to pull my old tank out next weekend and see what I'm dealing with. It was sitting for probably 15 years with some gas in it so I'm sure I'll have a mess on my hands.
barmanvarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:11 PM   #7
In The Ten Ring

I assume gas tanks were galvanized but that breaks down over time. I had my tank "renewed" by a radiator shop. It's a rubbery type of coating that has a lifetime warranty.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #8
rcrahn

I was reading your post and thinking how this process might remove the rust fine but leave a pretty thin metal wall in the tank. Knowing this is it really worth doing it? Just looking at it from a safety point of view, IMHO, no.
rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:26 PM   #9
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrahn View Post
I was reading your post and thinking how this process might remove the rust fine but leave a pretty thin metal wall in the tank. Knowing this is it really worth doing it? Just looking at it from a safety point of view, IMHO, no.
I suppose. I'm not a safety oriented person though. I can tell you one thing...I'll never waste my time on old gas tanks again. If it's a good rust free one ok. But you're better off buying a new one.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:49 AM   #10
rcrahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARNHARDT#3 View Post
I suppose. I'm not a safety oriented person though. I can tell you one thing...I'll never waste my time on old gas tanks again. If it's a good rust free one ok. But you're better off buying a new one.
That's good thinking. Just remember....these trucks are nearing 50 years old.
rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:52 AM   #11
sawman

best bet by a new tank or good used one ,cleaning it is good putting any power to a fuel tank or any spark you are asking for trouble,had a friend messing with fuel sending unit shorted wire tank blew he has 1 leg now,not worth it, all fuel has a small amount of water in it,put a filter between tank and fuel pump problem fix,
sawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #12
ho70

I replaced my tank, sending unit and rubber hose from sender to fuel line, still crud filling up filter. Replaced fuel pump and still crud (clogs carb paper filter). Running seafoam through tank if it doesn't work then have to replace lines.
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #13
In The Ten Ring

Rust in your fuel lines then. My truck had sat for 10 years and then the previous owner "got her running again." I got her and she would quit if stopped at a red light.

I let the truck sit 8 years and then decided I needed a truck. I had the carb rebuilt and the mechanic said "I wish I had a picture, that carb had more fine rust come out of it than I'd ever seen." He then suggested I get the gas tank renewed and replace every inch of fuel line since all of that would be rusty too.

And that's what I've done. The tank was full of flash rust (otherwise solid) and I had it renewed. I bought Poly Armor tubing and made my own fuel lines. I put in a new fuel sending unit. I replaced the fuel pump.

I haven't started her yet as she has loads more yet to be done but I am confident I've solved the problem.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote