The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2017, 09:52 PM   #1
72bigred

68 292 Intake/exhaust question

Long story short putting my intake/exhaust back on my 292. A 194 head was used in this build and pulling it apart there were no studs only bolts holding both the offy intake and headers on. I would assume the studs were removed and someone used bolts instead although what a pain in the butt to remount. Anyhow does anyone know where the studs were located, from pictures I have seen it appears they were located two in the front and two in the rear with the centers being bolts? Is this correct?

On another note I would assume I would just need to find some grade 8 studs at fastenal or does someone know where I can get the correct bolt set for the inline.

Thanks in advance.
72bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:58 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: 68 292 Intake/exhaust question

No studs , Stock had 2 locating pins one in front and one last rear , The pins were removed on yours to use bolts to install headers.I have 2 in the garage and they are the same.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
Grumpy old man

Here's a pic of another 250 I have and you can see the locating pin on front port , if you want pics of the 292 ?
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2017, 10:12 PM   #4
72bigred

Ok so just use bolts.. Figured studs might be a bit easier although with the aftermarket intake/headers and how they line up nice it will work just as it was. Thanks so much for the quick reply, time to put it back together.
72bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:24 PM   #5
Grumpy old man

Here's a quick pic of my 292 and you can see the front pin and I replaced the bolts with grade 8 .
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2017, 11:39 PM   #6
RichardJ

I have to disagree grumpy.

For tube headers you would be want use studs in every hole and replace those locator pins on both ends of the head with threaded studs. The pins are threaded and will screw out if you haven't already done so.

The two original studs were in the third hole from each end. Every hole down the side of the head is threaded 3/8-16. The stud takes a 3/8-24 nut and is 1 7/8" long.

Originally they had both long and short clamping bars for between the IN and EX runners. I found extra short bars and used only those between the tube headers and a Clifford manifold.
I put studs in all eight holes and it makes it a lot easier to hold everything in place for assembly.

In the picture below there are eight studs, but not one nut or bolt holding anything on the head. To duplicate that alignment with only the two original studs so that you can push a bolt through the manifold, through the gasket and into the head without cross threading anything, will leave you wishing you had two men and a boy helping you to hold everything up in place.

The studs are maybe a buck and a half at NAPA. A 2" stud may be too long in that first hole, but you may need it for a PS bracket or just put a couple extra washers on it.

I don't use grade 8 bolts in cast iron. I'd rather a bolt break than strip the threads out.
I believe the studs are often missing because the head rebuilders remove them and do not replace.

Last edited by RichardJ; 11-07-2017 at 11:50 PM.
RichardJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:56 AM   #7
Grumpy old man

Studs maybe easier ,Your probably right about them being removed sometime over the last 50 years for head work ,Just going by the 4-L6's I have sitting in the garage ,No way to tell what's ever happened to them over the years ?