The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #26
Pop's C-10

Re: Got my Leroy's! (TTII's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex View Post
Ya, it has a 2.5/4 drop now. Since it was a Big 10/Heavy Half to start with, it was higher than average I guess?

I have noticed that the rear spings are contacting the bed support at the shackle end. That could be holding it up some as well. Hopefully the new springs will remedy that as well.
Mine is doing tha same thing..i'm move tha shackle back to tha other holes & see where that gets me..
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #27
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
I would recommend rather than swapping springs, just take some leafs out of the ones you have. Mine is a heavy half and it came with 8 leaf springs that had a ridiculous overload spring. I took out the overload plus another one on in the middle of the pack somewhere and it made a big difference. It rides much smoother and it lowered the rear pretty much level with the front. I can still haul a load in the back too no problem.

Keep in mind, a longer leaf spring will actually ride much smoother than a shorter one. If you take some leafs out of your long springs, you can actually end up with the same spring rate but a smoother ride than the short springs.
Nah. I would recommend a flip kit and 3" spindles with a drop spring for the front to get it where it should be. Keep the HD springs, and go lower.

Whichever way you go, it looks good, Paul.

Last edited by Jonboy; 05-09-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #28
SeanPaintsFlames

Looks great!

Last edited by N2TRUX; 05-09-2011 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Please don't make this a WTB thread.
SeanPaintsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #29
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
Nah. I would recommend a flip kit and 3" spindles with a drop spring for the front to get it where it should be. Keep the HD springs, and go lower.

Whichever way you go, it looks good, Paul.

I may go that route, but I would love to get the trailing arm kit so I'm on the fence about spending any real money on the rear suspension. The springs I have I got with a rolling chassis which I stripped for my K5 project so they are freebies in a sense. The front is kinda the same, if I do the trailing arm kit I will throw bags in it all around instead of springs...

I'm also not swapping spindles since I have a 2.5" drop Western Chassis ones, but I could take out about 1/4-1/2 a coil to get that other .5". But again, why do that if eventually I'll be on bags anyways????
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #30
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I wasn't sure if your 2.5 front was spindles or springs. Both of my dropped trucks have had the HD leaves, and my 79 actually rode better after the flip kit. After that one, I am a huge fan of dropped trucks. My '74 is about 2" lower on both ends (about 6/8), and I thought about raising it, until I drove it a little bit. The flip is pretty cheap, and cutting your current coil is free. Of course, this is just my opinion. That's what I would do, if you are putting it on air soon or not.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #31
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

loved both wheels
and the stance is good
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #32
bluex

Quote:
I wasn't sure if your 2.5 front was spindles or springs. Both of my dropped trucks have had the HD leaves, and my 79 actually rode better after the flip kit. After that one, I am a huge fan of dropped trucks. My '74 is about 2" lower on both ends (about 6/8), and I thought about raising it, until I drove it a little bit. The flip is pretty cheap, and cutting your current coil is free. Of course, this is just my opinion. That's what I would do, if you are putting it on air soon or not.
What shocks are/did you run? I might just do this cause to me it looks silly right now. I think the air shocks in the rear are part of the rough ride also.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #33
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I used the stock shocks w/shock extenders.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #34
bluex

Well you talked me into it. DJM flip kit on order.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #35
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
..... I think the air shocks in the rear are part of the rough ride also....
bingo....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #36
f.monroe

Do the shocks change the ride height at all? If you remove them does it stay at the ride height it is at now? My tan truck was a BIG 10 and I changed the rear leafs to a 4" drop set and it set much lower . My truck also had 2.5 Western Chassis spindles and stock coils up front . It set muck lower all around . Does your truck have new coil springs up front or are they the originals? Here are pics of my tan 78 with 275/60/18 rears for comparison .
Frank
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #37
baclay9

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
Do the shocks change the ride height at all? If you remove them does it stay at the ride height it is at now? My tan truck was a BIG 10 and I changed the rear leafs to a 4" drop set and it set much lower . My truck also had 2.5 Western Chassis spindles and stock coils up front . It set muck lower all around . Does your truck have new coil springs up front or are they the originals? Here are pics of my tan 78 with 275/60/18 rears for comparison .
Frank

Can you tell me what size tires and wheels were on this truck man.
Posted via Mobile Device
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #38
f.monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by baclay9 View Post
Can you tell me what size tires and wheels were on this truck man.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sent you a PM .
Frank
Old 05-13-2011, 12:55 AM   #39
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
Frank
Yes, they can change the height depending on the pressure in them. If you can get them up to their max of 125 or 150 psi (I cant remember off hand) it will raise the truck way more than the shackle/hanger dropped it.

As far as I know the springs up front are original. My dad purchased this truck when I was 12-13 and gave it to me for $1 when I could drive at 16. I've had it ever since. I lowered it in 98-99 because I drove too long with a bad wheel bearing on the passenger side and killed the spindle. Since we needed a new one I talked him into letting me get the drop kit. It technically was my truck, but he still used it to haul stuff, mainly about 1 ton worth of clay pigions a month for the gun club he was in. His condition on the drop kit was I had to get the air shocks so he could still get his targets with it. It was still a long bed then, I didnt shorten it until 04 or so.

I will try and take some measurements from the ground to the fender and post them tomorrow. I honestly dont know what pressure is in the shocks right now. Since I dont really haul anything in it anymore they should be at the minimum of 25, but I will check that too.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #40
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Well you talked me into it. DJM flip kit on order.....
Posted via Mobile Device
That's what I'm talking about!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #41
bluex

Quote:
That's what I'm talking about!
Ordered it last night and it came today. Can't beat summit racing service! Now I just need time to put it on....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #42
bluex

Quote:

I will try and take some measurements from the ground to the fender and post them tomorrow. I honestly dont know what pressure is in the shocks right now. Since I dont really haul anything in it anymore they should be at the minimum of 25, but I will check that too.
Finally managed to get these. Measured from the ground to the fender lip through the center (or near it) of the wheel.

Front:
Driver 28 3/4 (tire is about 5 psi low)
Pass 28 13/16

Rear:
Driver 32
Pass 31 3/4

Air shocks have 0 psi!!!

Last edited by bluex; 05-14-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:27 AM   #43
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Good idea taking measurements first. I didn't do that on my '79, and it was off after we were done. You might have to pull and cut the spring a couple of times to get it where you want it in the front, but it loks like you are fairly close now. I would do the rear flip first, then do the front. We cut about 3/4 coil first, drove the truck, then came back and cut a little more off. Driving the truck will help make sure the spring is settled, to give you an idea of finished ride height. Don't forget the alignment when you are done.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #44
72 Super

Wheels look great on there, once the rear is bought down, they will a lot better too.

Ray
Old 05-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #45
bluex

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

Jonboy: that is my plan, gonna do the rear first and then see what the front needs if anything. The front is currently 4" lower so I might not have to touch it. I'm planning on putting the factory shackles and hangers back, then doing the flip.

I'm gonna pull the bed to do it and ill probably rattle can it so it somewhat matches when it goes back on. Might try to get the sport bumper I've had for almost a year put on too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #46
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

If you are going to pull the bed, go ahead and do a C notch. If you aren't pulling the bed off, you may not need to do it. I installed the one on my '79 mainly because it came with the kit, so I already had it. Pulling the bed to clean up the framerails was just icing on the cake.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #47
spudz

truck looks great!
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:41 AM   #48
bluex

Quote:
If you are going to pull the bed, go ahead and do a C notch. If you aren't pulling the bed off, you may not need to do it. I installed the one on my '79 mainly because it came with the kit, so I already had it. Pulling the bed to clean up the framerails was just icing on the cake.

I'm gonna hold off on the c-notch. I just got DJM's $85 basic kit. Its not that big a deal to pull the bed anyway with an engine hoist. I going to pull the bed for the extra room, to hopefully paint it and I need to swap out my fuel level sender. I will also inspect the joints where I put the frame back together since its been a few years since I looked closely at them.

I hoping that I wont need a notch, but I guess I will just have to see how it does.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #49
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

You may not need the notch at all. I put the one in my '79 because I had it, and I had the bed off. I ran it for a couple weeks before I brought it to work and pulled it apart with no problems.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:16 AM   #50
bluex

Well no progress on my truck, but Leroy left his out over the weekend and I was able to snap a few pictures of it. He drives the snot out of this thing and it still looks pretty decent. Its been finished for a few years now and I beleive these are Torque Thrust ST wheels, but I dont know any other details of the truck.....

So now yall have a truck to go with the name. Ironically he hasnt had any hopped up cars lately with the regular TT2's on them. Hes had a few nice vettes, but they looked to be more stock style restos.