The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2016, 09:31 PM   #1751
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: 1967 Chevy CST aka "the loud truck"

Nice work on the truck. The LS will be a great power plant for you. Nice score on the more door! That will be a sweet ride!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:27 AM   #1752
67chevy1series

Well after back orders and stuff like that finally my intake, headers, holley FEAD brackets, water pump, steam port vent lines, Lokar shift cable are all on the way. Bought a new 140 amp alternator and new thermostat+ gasket as well today. list is getting smaller..
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #1753
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

It always is nice when the list get shorter. My list keeps growing lately.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:38 AM   #1754
67chevy1series

My list started at a decent size and then I started doing more research and then it spiraled out of control as per usual lol. Well all my part showed up today! Still waiting for the intake... Never again will I trust "more then 10 available" again! Well figures now I've got parts to make some progress but now it's raining... Tomorrow I'm going to stick the 67 back in the garage and try and get some work done.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #1755
chewychevy67

I like that you are attempting to keep an original look under the hood. That is not always easy with modern stuff. Especially 67 stuff.
chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #1756
Ol Blue K20

That's a nice pile of parts. We're supposed to be slammed pretty hard by this storm here. Expecting one to two feet of snow at my cabin. Your neck of the woods is getting hit hard too. I hope you can get it in and get some work done.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 03-06-2016, 03:04 AM   #1757
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewychevy67 View Post
I like that you are attempting to keep an original look under the hood. That is not always easy with modern stuff. Especially 67 stuff.
you know more then anybody how odd and how many one year only parts are on 67 GM trucks, Ive always liked how different they are, there like a custom truck yet there still factory, and I think that is one of many reason I love the 67's as much as I do. I like a lot of aspects about a original 67-72 c10 and I really wanted to keep the original "stock" theme under the hood as well on my 67. I know it's only original once... But it's the thought that counts right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
That's a nice pile of parts. We're supposed to be slammed pretty hard by this storm here. Expecting one to two feet of snow at my cabin. Your neck of the woods is getting hit hard too. I hope you can get it in and get some work done.
your telling me that pile was a sight for sore eyes! Been busy working on my brothers 72. We are definitely getting hit over here it's been crazy windy and pouring throughout the day... Almost reminds me of forest gump "the rain came in from all directions.. It even seem to go up" however, when I woke up this morning it had stopped raining so I ceased the chance and proceeded to get the 67 in the garage, and as luck would have it as soon as I got the 67 in the garage it started raining! So long story short got the 67 in and started getting parts on! Got the new 2010 camaro water pump on along with the new thermostat and water pump gaskets. Then I busted out the holley FEAD brackets (part number 20-135) and the spacer bracket for truck/10' camaro spacing on and torqued down as well (part number 21-3). Holley has very very nice instructions! After that I pullled out the alternator... It was the 145 amp one but it was the wrong year, I asked for an alternator for an 05 silverado 1500 w/5.3 and they gave me a 2006 style with the different plug. So I called them up, they are the same price so they told me to just go in and swap it out for the right one, so I'm waiting on that before I can install it and get it wired up. After that I went onto the transmission. I pulled the pan off a week or so ago and put in a new filter and gasket... Problem is a PO of the transmission had stripped the hex head of the drain plug. So I just took the pan off and let it drain the messy way, after I got the pan off i realized I had 2 choices.. Never use the drain plug and always have to get a new gasket, or get a new pan that doesn't have a destroyed drain plug and nut. So I got a new pan and put that on along with my Lokar shifter cable kit. The cable kit went fairly smooth except for having the wrong colum mount bracket, the bracket I got was for a 2" diameter column and my GM tilt column is 2-1/4" so I got the right bracket on the way. And last but not least I did a test fit of the headers. these headers are awesome! I do have a problem with the motor mounts... Not like I'm the first or last with these problems, so I'll see what I can do, little modification to the motor mount towers/brackets, (whatever they are called) and I should be good to go.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2016, 02:08 AM   #1758
67chevy1series

Well I got my 145a alternator and installed it. It's for a 2004 silverado. Now I'm trying to figure out connecting the 67's delco alternator wiring to the Delphi (?) alternator. I've got the 4 pin pigtail from Holely for LS swaps that has the one wire going to the "L" terminal on the alt. With a resistor. Which wire from the c10 harness connects to that wire? I Was told the brown wire (for one wire delco alt.) is to be connected to that wire, it this true? And also the red 12v wire that went to the lug on the back of the delco alt. Is to be connected to the same lug on the back of the new alt correct? Can't seem to find a clear answer to this anywhere. Just want to double and triple check before I screw anything up!
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2016, 11:08 PM   #1759
67chevy1series

Installed my Gibson c10 headers. Fairly pleased with fit, only required slight modifications to my motor mount stands/brackets/towers (whatever they are called) but now I have good wiggle room between the header and the motor mount. With them finally installed I was checking what kind of room I have and how everything sits underneath in the frame... The collector dumps/exits right on top of my e brake components, I have the CPP tubular transmission crossmember so it's either above or below the crossmember for the e brake parts. Does anyone know if a way to convert the e brake to the style of the newer trucks with just one cable going down the drivers side and then connecting to the rear two cables coming from the rear brakes?
Old 03-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #1760
mcbassin
Still Learning

Looking good Ricky!
I wish I could help you on the E brake. That's one of the things I never finished on my own truck.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #1761
Ol Blue K20

Looking good, I'm no help on the brake either. Maybe someone will chime in with an answer.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 03-11-2016, 09:18 PM   #1762
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Looking good Ricky!
I wish I could help you on the E brake. That's one of the things I never finished on my own truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Looking good, I'm no help on the brake either. Maybe someone will chime in with an answer.
Thank you guys! I honestly don't know why I even bother with the e brake, ever since I've done the rear disc conversion it's useless. If I engage the enrage all the way the truck can still be pushed or move in gear.. On the bright side I got one of the spark plugs exchanged for a new one since it was cracked and I installed all the plug wires and i also got the corvette idler pulley. Anyone have any spark plug wire boot heat sheilds they aren't using? My motor didn't have plug wires when I got it so I need to get those.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:18 AM   #1763
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
Does anyone know if a way to convert the e brake to the style of the newer trucks with just one cable going down the drivers side and then connecting to the rear two cables coming from the rear brakes?
If you looked at a model that you could pattern after then maybe Inline tube could make the cables??

When I build my C10 I'll probably use these rear disks with built in Ebrake drum

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wilwoo...xle,35784.html

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:55 AM   #1764
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
If you looked at a model that you could pattern after then maybe Inline tube could make the cables??

When I build my C10 I'll probably use these rear disks with built in Ebrake drum

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wilwoo...xle,35784.html
I've really been thinking about redoing my rear discs to have that e brake in the hat of the rotor, I've seen people using 90's camaros rear disc brackets/rotors/calipers and e brake parts but I'm not sure if a 15" wheel will fit and clear the caliper.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:31 AM   #1765
67chevy1series

Quote:
.....Anyone have any spark plug wire boot heat sheilds they aren't using? My motor didn't have plug wires when I got it so I need to get those.
Update: bought set of the heat sheilds. Summit carries all 8 of them for under $40 bucks, local parts store want about $6-$7 bucks a shield and GM wants almost $9 bucks a shield, so summit is definitely way more doable! Got my Lokar shift cable "kit" in the mail again... I don't understand.. I ordered AKA-1804 to begin with, that part number has a column bracket for a 2" diameter column. Went to put the bracket on and it was super super tight fit, tight enough to the point where I thought if I even attempted it I would strip out the threads in the aluminum.. So I sent it back a shot AKA-1805 the next one up, this "kit" comes with a 2-1/4" column bracket. Went to put that bracket imams it's super loose! What gives? I'm going to feel like a horses ass asking summit for the 1804 package back... Tomorrow I'm going to call Lokar directly and see if I missed something.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:00 AM   #1766
67chevy1series

Okai I sent out the Lokar shifter cable kit and they are going to send me another one with a 2" column bracket and that should finally be the end of that. Summit is absolutely amazing! Also go my spark plug boot heat sheilds in the mail from them, they went on nice and now the spark plug and wires are done. The end of this month I hope to make another big order to get that last big chunk of parts need to really get this thing back on the road. I've been thinking of using a couple parts; Dakota digital makes a VSS to mechanical speedometer box to run my factory 67 speedo off the 4l60e anybody use this? If so what's your feelings towards the part? Also Lokar makes a universal e brake kit, and it appears I can run the single cable down the drivers side to the two rear cables with one of their kits. The Holley shop truck has thier e brake components, and it seems to be working fine for them. Wondering if anyone else has used their e brake cables?
Old 03-16-2016, 08:33 AM   #1767
Ol Blue K20

I'm no help on those fancy parts but nice to hear it's coming together.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 03-18-2016, 04:27 AM   #1768
67chevy1series

Since I've been waiting for parts im taking a slight break on the 67 and I'm finishing up a friends 73 GMC. Got the motor and Trans pulled on it for rebuild/clean up and then back in it goes. Should have the truck all back together in a week or so.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:14 AM   #1769
67chevy1series

Haven't updated the thread but as of now I have already received the correct shift cable kit from Lokar and installed it, so now I can shift the transmission from the column. Also put high temp anti-seize on all header bolts and torqued them down as per spec with a first pass at 11 ftlbs (132inlbs) and a final pass of 18ftlbs (216inlbs) starting from the middle bolts working my way to the outer. I bought a new power steering pump for a 97 corvette and a new pulley from my local GM parts department, (was only $26 bucks!) and I also bought new radiator hoses, lower hose is Gates part number: 20931 (only modification was trimming the water pump side by 4ish inches) and the upper hose is Gates part number: 21631 (only modification was trimming the radiator side by 2-1/2" to 3" and trimming the water pump side by roughly 9" to remove an unneeded bend. And for the water pump side a adapter was needed to reduce the hose size from 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" part number 76925. Also ordered a new tensioner and a TCI EZ-TCU transmission controller it comes with a TPS so I should be set as far as getting the motor to run and transmission to function/shift. And last but not least I'm STILL waiting on my intake... Still won't ship until the 15th so I've got a couple days... Starting to get a little excited to hear this motor run! now it's just getting down to a bunch of small things.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:32 AM   #1770
67chevy1series

Started installing the EZ-TCU today. Didn't finish but I got te TCU mounted under the passenger bucket and the harness ran under the carpet beside the Trans hump. Had to drill a hole for the Trans connector, VSS connector, positive and negative wires and the TPS connector and wiring to go through... Hurts to drill a hole in the lower firewall like that... But I suppose anywhere else would just look distasteful and here would still need to be a hole so tomorrow I'm going to see if I can get a grommet for that and finish connecting the rest of the wires. When my intake comes in I'll get the TPS mounted and all adjusted and the wiring for it connected. I bought a tubing bender today, should be a decent one, it does 3/16",1/4",5/16",3/8" tubes and it can do up to 180 degree bends so I should be able to make some nice looking lines from here on out. My tensioner didn't come in today and I checked the tracking, hasn't changed since early yesterday morning.. Didn't think it took that long to go from Spokane Washington to Central Valley Calif. So hopefully that shows up tomorrow and I can finally measure for my serpentine belt.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:55 PM   #1771
67chevy1series

...so you know how I bought my intake through speedway motors on February 18th and have been waiting since then for it to be shipped? Well last week I called edelbrock and they informed me, that they will be shipping them out April 15th. So today ring that it's the 15th, I figured I would call again just to double check everything is going as planned..... They proceeded to tell me they won't be shipping the intakes until April 29th.... So I waited a couple days shy of 2 months just to be told it's going to be pretty much another month. I don't know if I'm being impatient or if it's wrong of me to be pretty pissed off about this but I called speedway motors and had them cancel my order and refund me. Found probably the only buisness in the country that has the intakes on there shelves, and ordered it from them, so basically I waited 2 months for nothing, it's now going to arrive around the 25th. End rant.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:21 PM   #1772
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
...so you know how I bought my intake through speedway motors on February 18th and have been waiting since then for it to be shipped? Well last week I called edelbrock and they informed me, that they will be shipping them out April 15th. So today ring that it's the 15th, I figured I would call again just to double check everything is going as planned..... They proceeded to tell me they won't be shipping the intakes until April 29th.... So I waited a couple days shy of 2 months just to be told it's going to be pretty much another month. I don't know if I'm being impatient or if it's wrong of me to be pretty pissed off about this but I called speedway motors and had them cancel my order and refund me. Found probably the only buisness in the country that has the intakes on there shelves, and ordered it from them, so basically I waited 2 months for nothing, it's now going to arrive around the 25th. End rant.
Wow! That sucks, 2 months is not being impatient. That's ridiculous that they can't stick to a shipping date.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 04-17-2016, 02:31 AM   #1773
67chevy1series

i can't believe how hard it is to get that intake, had to order it from a speed shop in New York! But FINALLY I have a tracking number! So I'm thinking maybe Thursday or Friday next week it will be in my hands. You don't realize how many things you can't plan or start "running" without the intake until your being held up on it, I've been waiting for it so I can start making the fuel lines and routing the where I want the regulator and gauge to be and I plan to make a new throttle linkage and the TPS but I can't do any of that without it so anyways, it's finally on its way and im starting to not care about what happened and just be happy that it's finally resolved.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:56 AM   #1774
Ol Blue K20

A tracking number is great news, more progress

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 04-19-2016, 01:31 AM   #1775
67chevy1series

Well it departed NY and is scheduled for the 25th. I did get my tubing bender in the mail today... Did a test 180 bend on some scrap 5/16" line... I'm impressed! This tool is really nice. Doesn't do 3/16ths like I thought but none the less a very nice tool, can't wait to use it for the fuel line! Also I've had some thoughts, what do you guys think about using some 1/4" steel tubing for the steam vent line and using just some rubber line of course too connect the line to the fitting on the radiator side and to the OE GM vent line on the front of the heads? Here's a pic of the test bend I did for fun
Attached Images