The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
bosco

Any Solutions to 55/56 Hood Oil Canning

I guess in 1956 these trucks didn't cruise at 70 mph, so the hood oil canning was not an issue. Wanting to reach out to this community to see if anybody has come up with a solution?

I did find this solution and maybe able to fabricate a similar brace.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...541132&page=21
(post 506)

But, wanted to find out if there are different solutions for this issue. Thanks folks.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:20 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Any Solutions to 55/56 Hood Oil Canning

That's a pretty heavy chunk of iron to hang on a hood. I had a 57 Panel with a hot 327 that I drove hard and didn't have that issue with so I haven't experinced it.
I'd agree that a brace with maybe some dense foam pads between it and the bottom side of the hood should keep the oil canning down.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

Never had any oil can with mine. Someone did something to stretch the metal with yours to have that happen.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:19 PM   #4
bosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
That's a pretty heavy chunk of iron to hang on a hood. I had a 57 Panel with a hot 327 that I drove hard and didn't have that issue with so I haven't experinced it.
I'd agree that a brace with maybe some dense foam pads between it and the bottom side of the hood should keep the oil canning down.
I was thinking about using aluminum to hold the wait down, and not as large a brace. Was thinking of a dense foam as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Never had any oil can with mine. Someone did something to stretch the metal with yours to have that happen.
Looking at the hood there are no issues that I can see, and if there was any body work done I would think it might have cracked. It starts to flex pretty good just over 70 mph. Honestly the hood looks great. If I ever repaint, it can always be reworked to shrink the metal.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:25 PM   #5
whitedog76

What about Berliner or lizard skin on the underside?
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:13 AM   #6
dsraven

if you look under a newer vehicle's hood you will see they used a sheet metal stamped brace and took up the gap between the brace and the hood with some adhesive like seam sealer, some have a foamy looking stuff in there that foesn't stick to the hood. a dab here and there. you could use some wax paper between the hood and the adhesive so it doesn't actually stick to the hood and then there would be less chance of distortion on a hot day. even some spray foam insulation would likely work then, a little dab here and there.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:39 AM   #7
bosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
What about Berliner or lizard skin on the underside?
I have also thought about bedliner, but wasn't sure how much weight that may add and would it keep the hood from sagging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
if you look under a newer vehicle's hood you will see they used a sheet metal stamped brace and took up the gap between the brace and the hood with some adhesive like seam sealer, some have a foamy looking stuff in there that foesn't stick to the hood. a dab here and there. you could use some wax paper between the hood and the adhesive so it doesn't actually stick to the hood and then there would be less chance of distortion on a hot day. even some spray foam insulation would likely work then, a little dab here and there.
I like the expanding foam idea between the brace and the hood. I think it's not going to take much and it would be light weight.

Thanks for all the ideas. Please keep them coming.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
bowt1ed

Bosco, not nearly as custom and sexy as Stepside Jim's by any means, but I posted previously about my approach. I bought a 57 Bel Air hood center brace (Eckler's 57-211495-1) and modified to fit mine. I wanted it to look like Chevy should have done it. Cut to required length, fab an "L' brace for one end, and nutsert on the other. I will be adding the standard stock foam isolator strip between

Cheers, Jim
Attached Images

bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #9
whitedog76

Louvers?
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #10
MARTINSR

If yours has that brace going through the middle of it, (I don't know those trucks well) then just try putting a piece of cardboard or something between the brace and the skin and see if that stops it. If it does then a piece of plastic or tar paper or something like they originally had may do it. I have had hoods do this where things have just over the years changed a little so the gap is increased just a hair, one 1/16" piece of rubber and it's gone.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #11
whitedog76

more louvers
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2018, 11:25 AM   #12
bowt1ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
If yours has that brace going through the middle of it, (I don't know those trucks well) then just try putting a piece of cardboard or something between the brace and the skin and see if that stops it. If it does then a piece of plastic or tar paper or something like they originally had may do it. I have had hoods do this where things have just over the years changed a little so the gap is increased just a hair, one 1/16" piece of rubber and it's gone.

Brian
Brian, the 55/56 didn't have any bracing front to rear down the middle, only the cross braces. That's what often causes the issue, with a lot of rather flat panel unsupported. In 57 the side ridges helped eliminate it. I added that brace from a 57 Bel Air.

Cheers, Jim
Old 02-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #13
mongocanfly
Post Whore

whatever you do bosco DONT use expanding foam behind a brace if you decide to ad one...you put a brace in there and squirt expanding foam behind it then your gonna have a big hump in your hood....they do make a non expanding foam ....but.....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:39 PM   #14
bosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowt1ed View Post
Bosco, not nearly as custom and sexy as Stepside Jim's by any means, but I posted previously about my approach. I bought a 57 Bel Air hood center brace (Eckler's 57-211495-1) and modified to fit mine. I wanted it to look like Chevy should have done it. Cut to required length, fab an "L' brace for one end, and nutsert on the other. I will be adding the standard stock foam isolator strip between

Cheers, Jim
Jim, Thanks. I knew I had seen this before. Any pic of the "L" bracket to give me an idea, or will it come to me when I see the brace? Thanks, Russ
Old 02-06-2018, 09:41 PM   #15
bosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
whatever you do bosco DONT use expanding foam behind a brace if you decide to ad one...you put a brace in there and squirt expanding foam behind it then your gonna have a big hump in your hood....they do make a non expanding foam ....but.....
That makes sense. I am sure I can find material to fit the gap. Mainly in toward the center to rear of the hood.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:23 PM   #16
gotmotors

Raptor bed liner worked great for me. No more floppy hood!

Name:  IMG_20160811_135319570 Copy_zpszb60yiub.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  34.1 KB

My 55 build
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97044
gotmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:37 AM   #17
bosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmotors View Post
Raptor bed liner worked great for me. No more floppy hood!

Attachment 1748742
Nice. That looks great. Did it add much weight? Did you cover edge to edge, front to back? Thanks
Old 02-08-2018, 08:50 AM   #18
bowt1ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
Jim, Thanks. I knew I had seen this before. Any pic of the "L" bracket to give me an idea, or will it come to me when I see the brace? Thanks, Russ
This is the best shot I have from when I did it. Hope it helps. I sandwiched between front latch brace and hood.

Jim
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #19
gotmotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
Nice. That looks great. Did it add much weight? Did you cover edge to edge, front to back? Thanks
Thanks. Yep covered the entire underside except for the braces. A whole can of Raptor only weighs maybe two pounds and I think there's way less than a 1/2 can under the hood.

Hood doesn't flop at 120, I can tell you that. Beyond that, who cares lol.

My 55 build
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97044
gotmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:44 AM   #20
bosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmotors View Post
Thanks. Yep covered the entire underside except for the braces. A whole can of Raptor only weighs maybe two pounds and I think there's way less than a 1/2 can under the hood.

Hood doesn't flop at 120, I can tell you that. Beyond that, who cares lol.
Has to be a heck of a ride at 120.... Maybe a bit scary....
Old 02-09-2018, 12:45 AM   #21
bosco

Quote:
This is the best shot I have from when I did it. Hope it helps. I sandwiched between front latch brace and hood.

Jim
Thanks. that pick is perfect.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:15 PM   #22
Black_Sheep

Louvers...

The solution offered by bowt1ed is a good one. I would go one step further and use an adhesive caulk to bond the hood to the brace. A few well placed daubs of Sika-Flex on each side of the brace and you'll be good to go
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:09 PM   #23
bosco

Quote:

Cheers, Jim
Jim,

Received my brace and wanted to ask which end did you remove? There are two different levels of bends. A slight bend and larger bend. Looking at your pic it looks like the larger bend was kept and mounts to the back of the hood, but want to confirm.

Second question, did you have to tweak the brace much to get it to fit? With he larger bend mounted to the rear of the hood it will push up against the hood. Thought I would ask before I go bending this brace.

Thanks,
Russ
Old 02-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #24
bowt1ed

Russ, correct. I attached the end with the deeper offset bend at the rear cross support with a nutsert. It fit like it was meant to be there. I cut the end with the shallower offset bend off and welded a 90 degree plate that slides under the front brace/bracket, drilled a couple of holes. Although, the rear is a bit closer than the front, mine doesn't press against the hood. If yours does, you might want to try the other end.

Cheers, Jim
Old 02-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #25
bosco

Quote:
Russ, correct. I attached the end with the deeper offset bend at the rear cross support with a nutsert. It fit like it was meant to be there. I cut the end with the shallower offset bend off and welded a 90 degree plate that slides under the front brace/bracket, drilled a couple of holes. Although, the rear is a bit closer than the front, mine doesn't press against the hood. If yours does, you might want to try the other end.

Cheers, Jim
Thanks Jim. I think the deeper offset fits better, as I did try the other end. I guess some tweaking will be required, but will be well worth the fix. Appreciate the help.