The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2016, 04:23 PM   #1
yossarian19

EZ Frame swap C10 vs updating stock frame?

EZ Chassis swaps sells a kit to put the 55-59 body onto a later C10 frame. Does anyone know if a C20 frame would also work?
Alternately, I could throw a redrilled Crown Victoria front end under the truck and whatever 5x5 rear axle came to hand. Maybe a redrilled 5x5 Explorer 8.8 (3.73 or 4.10, limited slip, disc brakes) This would be a half-ton truck, still, since the Crown Vic's front axle weight rating is pretty high and the 8.8 comes under F-150 trucks.
Third option, is the Industrial Chassis Dakota IFS which can be used with 3/4 ton 8x6.5 rotors and a 14 bolt rear end swap. The front cross member alone, though, puts me at $750. Add $50 for brake caliper brackets and I'm already at the cost of a the chassis swap kit.
It's going to be a while before I have the money and space for a second build on the '57 but I enjoy the puzzling & planning.
Anyone have input on the best way to get modern handling & braking under a 55-59 truck, with half ton or better load rating?
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: EZ Frame swap C10 vs updating stock frame?

I don't think there is any frame width oa depth difference in the C 10 and C20 fame.

I see that kit sells for 795 so that may in some cases keep the swap from being a bargain basement deal. Lately around here the supply of dirt cheap donor trucks really has dried up from what I see unless you can drag a dead on out of someone's yard for scrap price. The scrappers cleaned most of them out when scrap got high a few years ago and now the price seems to stay up pretty high on anything that runs and drives and can carry a guy to work and back.

On the Crown Vic front end they are cheap but damned wide for most applications even the Ford F100 that started that swap idea. The crossmember is aluminum so you have to bolt it in. Not many bolts but the frame has to fit the Crown Vic bolt pattern. Carcrafter22 did one of the first of those swaps back in 2008 and this is his thread on it. It's in a Ford truck but he gives a lot of detail and is well worth the time to read it. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/71...o-67-f100.html

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:04 PM   #3
pugs

if ya go with the CV ifs will have to use your stock chassis, then the explorer rear will have the same 4.5 bolt pattern I believe
Old 02-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #4
joedoh

my advice is, if you have the skill and determination to do any of that work, you shouldnt need a swap kit to make the c20 frame fit under the truck.

also, planning is useful till the first wrench is turned.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:15 PM   #5
lynx5653

I dont see why the kit wouldnt work on a c20, only problem I can see is to shorten the c20 frame. I plan on using the kit only on a c10 shortbed frame.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:38 PM   #6
pugs

personally why would ya even spend the money on a kit to do the swap
Old 02-27-2016, 11:51 PM   #7
yossarian19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
personally why would ya even spend the money on a kit to do the swap
I'll go out on a limb and say that you have more fabrication experience, more tools or more free time than I do and maybe all three - and hey, good for you!
Old 02-28-2016, 10:09 AM   #8
pugs

yea I have some tools, no real fab experience, but do think outside the box with things. like everything in life, you learn as you go. the past month or yes maybe I had more time as I was laid off due to my seasonal job but head back to work tomorrow.
over all you have to look and think about and somewhat have a plan or idea of what you want to achieve, use of the truck, looks stance and ride height. as I mentioned before you stock chassis would be the best if going the CV ifs, but CV track width is wide.
C10 chassis to me 63-72 is best and the frame section under the cab is flat like the stock one is and you swap out the front suspension with a disc brake setup from a 71 -87. in most 67-72 chassis you will find have a the trailing arm rear setup but can be switched over to leaf springs.
Anyway you get the idea and again you will have time and fab work that needs to be done
Old 02-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #9
_Ogre

$795 for the kit doesn't include rebuilding the brakes, steering and suspension on the 40 yr old c10
i can't imagine putting all that work into a frame swap without changing every brake line and part
imo (in my opinion) a frame swap on a tf truck will take more fabrication skill than welding on a mustII
probably cost you more in the long run too

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:07 PM   #10
yossarian19

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
$795 for the kit doesn't include rebuilding the brakes, steering and suspension on the 40 yr old c10
i can't imagine putting all that work into a frame swap without changing every brake line and part
imo (in my opinion) a frame swap on a tf truck will take more fabrication skill than welding on a mustII
probably cost you more in the long run too
This is a really good point.
$800 + rebuild + time and space involved in a total teardown... I'm not sure it makes sense for me. I'm more likely to be able to gather up a crossmember and warm it over, then tear the front sheet metal off & install over a weekend or two.
So I'm down to Dakota IFS or Crown Vic, if / when I get around to a second buildup.
Probably ought to get the brakes squared away and put a few more miles on the truck as-is.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #11
67 chevelle

Just bought a 71 camaro clip for my 59 apache longbed , had one in my 49 , PO install , and a coilover / ladder bar setup from chassis engineering I did , it drove like a Porsche , seriously one off the best handling vehicles Ive ever driven
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote