The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2017, 09:26 AM   #1
Ewr101

Wow!

Bought the Blazer over two years ago. The first thing I did was go thru the wiring to get various lights and gauges to work properly. This included rewiring/upgrading the whole charging system. The truck has ran just fine the whole time (Or so I thought). Since I didn't know when the last tune up was, I figured I'd change out the whole HEI, plugs and wires. This is what I found after removing the old HEI distributor. That can't be good! Haha! Gonna finish up making the wires and timing it today and we'll see how she runs....
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
Moose Monkey

Re: Wow!

Is that the ground wire? Check those main ground cables please. WOW way well put.
Moose Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
Ewr101

Yep, that's the ground. It was pretty well done for. The power and the other one were shot as well, just not as bad. Was hoping I would have a new motor after changing everything! Haha!! It ran pretty smooth and was more responsive and for its age, so I'll take it! I guess in hindsight, I can't believe it ran as well as it did! There were no signs that the wiring was like that. No cutting out, no rough idle, no nothing. I was shocked! I believe I got it timed correctly so we'll see. I'm just glad to be rid of more bad wiring....and the fire hazard.

P.S.- while "Dragonfire 10.5mm" spark plug wires seem to be a good deal, they aren't worth the hassle of building them. They seem to work fine but the larger outside diameter make putting connectors on a P.I.T.A. Not so sure about the center conductor being any bigger or better. I'll save up for some good Accel or MDS 8.5's or 9mm ones when I feel the need.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:30 PM   #4
Moose Monkey

You are just too lucky. Me, would not find that for weeks
Moose Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:37 PM   #5
Ewr101

I guess you could call it luck. I've had it for 2 years and it ran just fine. I just replaced the HEI and wires cause I didn't know when it was done last. I expected worn but not THAT! One of the spark plug wires had the outer jacket gouged too. Amazing it ran like it did. There was absolutely no signs of the wiring being like that.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:22 PM   #6
Ewr101

After getting everything swapped out, setting the timing, replacing a packard connector in the engine side fuse block to get power to the choke and adjusting it along with the high idle, I've got an engine that runs really well. I was shocked when it actually broke the rear tires loose under acceleration and gave me a little chirp going into second gear.

Shout out to VetteVet, GMACHINZ and TBONE for all their help in getting me to this point. THANK YOU! It's FAR from finished but so much better than when I first got it. This site is an awesome resource for knowledge and info. Can't wait for the next project...electric fans....rear side panels....homemade center console....new grille....slight drop and sway bars....hmmm....descisions descisions....
Old 04-20-2017, 11:48 PM   #7
El Dorado Jim

those wires are UGLEE!
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote