The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2015, 10:39 PM   #51
dragonball98312

Re: What can be said about the 4-speed New Process NV833 overdrive manual transmissio

Heres mine from an 81 c10 with a 250. Sadly no OEM shift ball

dragonball98312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:49 PM   #52
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: What can be said about the 4-speed New Process NV833 overdrive manual transmissio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonball98312 View Post
Heres mine from an 81 c10 with a 250. Sadly no OEM shift ball
1,000 thanks for the pics, very helpful

those notches on your bellhousing, is that how many times you beat a Mustang, lol?
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:56 PM   #53
Gregski
Post Whore

speaking of clutch forks, lol

it appears there is no difference between my 1974 one and one for a 1982 model, at least according to AutoZone, their part number is CF-100 for both and they reference the same O.E.M. #14066235 for both

any thoughts or comments from you all on that?

I am going to check on the throwout bearing next

I am thinking can I just remove my 3,000 pound Muncie SM465 and bolt up my new beauty New Process 440 / 833 to my old bellhousing and keep the clutch guts inside undisturbed? that would make a short order out of this ordeal
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2015, 12:04 AM   #54
Gregski
Post Whore

things get interesting when comparing throwout bearings, again using AutoZone (don't judge me) their website is great for this kind of stuff unlike some parts stores (I'm looking at you NAPA)

anywho, for 1974 they list 4 different ones, for 1982 they list 2 different ones, interstingly enough 1 is the same for both years, go figure

Made by National Part Number: 614018

even more interesting is that both model years list a bearing made by Brute Power yet with different part numbers CC1705C vs 614018

sometimes I just don't understand AutoZone math, ha ha

I'm going on about this because success is 80 percent pirsperation and the other 30 percent inspiration, jk
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2015, 12:58 AM   #55
MusicMan70

recent purchase NOS nob
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2015, 11:56 AM   #56
Keith Seymore

G = full size van

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #57
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan70 View Post
recent purchase NOS nob
Very nice.

I made mine out of a transfer case knob (new knob but with my old indicator "disc" inserted).

The threads were different (fine vs coarse) but I ran a tap threw it to correct that.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 12-12-2015, 02:25 PM   #58
dragonball98312

Quote:
recent purchase NOS nob
Lucky!
Old 12-14-2015, 01:16 AM   #59
Gregski
Post Whore

Well after some research and studying all the HURST Shifter Stick charts I came to the realization (which you probably knew already) that GM was too cheap to buy the sticks from HURST and decided to use their own, aka generic ones, at least in the 81-83 era - correct me if I'm wrong

It appears that HURST tags all their sticks with their logo, its a pride thing I guess, kinda cool, well and my stick aint got not HURST written on it, does yours? (run out to the garage and check, we'll hold.... lol)

here are some of the HURST stick charts I consulted

SHIFTER STICKS Steel Sticks Page 40

SHIFTER STICKS Steel Sticks Page 41

same goes for the shift knob, it is also a GM creation, as I do not see any that look like our stock one (with that Overdrive feature) on HURST's website
Old 12-14-2015, 01:26 AM   #60
Gregski
Post Whore

alright than, onward and upward, I really don't care if I have a name brand shifter stick or not, I'm just enjoying the research part, and sharing what I find, but remember always double check what you read on The Line, ha ha

ok now on to the Identification of our Transmission, HURST style, in other words which transmission is ours?

Well again the HURST website / Transmission chart does not list our GM transmission, they show three different New Process 4 speeds but ours does not appear to be one of them.

NEW PROCESS 421 for the Mopar A-Body

NEW PROCESS 422 for the Mopar B-Body

NEW PROCESS 423 for the Mopar B-Bory or E-Body

Well what does that tell us or confirm? Again correct me if I am way off, but it confirms that we can't get our shift linkage rods from HURST since they never made them for GM, you see GM used / made their own linkage for this beast, fun fun fun making them that much harder to find, and they did not put part numbers on the sticks I don't think

and rambling on and on, I heard of our trans refered to by the number 440 yet I have yet to see that anywhere in official GM documentation, they do refer to it as option MY6 but thats about it
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2015, 07:03 AM   #61
D13

As noted before, there are several shifters for GM. My 2wd and 4wd shifters are different, the 4wd appears to be heavier built and positioned slightly to the left when compared to the 2wd one, not sure if it's 4wd or a model year thing as it is earlier (mech bell while the 2wd is hydro belll).
Yes, the shifter itself can be rebuilt with Hurst parts or reconditioned by Hurst. No, the linkage can't be bought (remeber my earlier comment about getting the shifter? Turns out you need the shifter and all its rods as a package). The rods do not appear to directly interchange between the variations of shifters (look at the offsets). No, the early Chrysler parts do not work as is. I have heard that the Dodge truck shifter wil work although not in the exact same location, and again needs the rods to match the shifter. I have also heard that the early Chrysler shifter, possibly still available from Hurst, can be modded to work.

I see you are looking for one of the rods. Can you detail exactly which of the shfters you have? Althouugh i doubt you can get a rod by itself, some clever person might be able to send you the pattern for the rod and/or make one for you.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:54 AM   #62
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
Well after some research and studying all the HURST Shifter Stick charts I came to the realization (which you probably knew already) that GM was too cheap to buy the sticks from HURST and decided to use their own, aka generic ones, at least in the 81-83 era - correct me if I'm wrong

It appears that HURST tags all their sticks with their logo, its a pride thing I guess, kinda cool, well and my stick aint got not HURST written on it, does yours? (run out to the garage and check, we'll hold.... lol)

same goes for the shift knob, it is also a GM creation, as I do not see any that look like our stock one (with that Overdrive feature) on HURST's website
Normally GM does not allow outside manufacturers to put their name on the component. That precedence was broken in the early 60's when GM saw the advantage of teaming up with Hurst on the '64/'65 GTOs. That opened the door for red brake calipers and other more visible performance marketing.

Here's some more detail on the T case shift knob conversion. I notice both my knob and the replacement knob are textured; the NOS knob above appears "shiny" which is not how I recall them being.

I would probably be ok with a more nostalgic round shift ball, but that might be just me.

K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I wasn't going to do anything with the shift ball....it cleaned up pretty well and was probably fine for a daily driver. But - I had a $40 credit with ClassicParts that I needed to use so I thought I would see what I could do here.

Now, you might suspect that the shift ball for this "odd ball" was probably not available, and you'd be right. However, if you were me, you'd figure that the manual transfer case shift ball was probably identical and would work in this application. So, I ordered one up:

Pretty much exactly the same! After about 30 seconds of work, you can pop the indicator out of the old knob and slip it into the new knob and VIOLA!: new shift ball!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Ok - so here's the point where you find out they are not "exactly" the same....apparently the transfer case shift lever is "coarse" thread and the transmission shift lever is "fine" thread Nothing that a couple minutes with a 7/16 fine thread tap couldn't fix:

And here we are, back in business:

Total time investment: about 15 minutes; dollar investment of about $3.00 (for shipping).

K
1986 - 2019
Old 12-14-2015, 10:22 AM   #63
hatzie

Quote:

The stick itself is made by GM because it's specific to whatever vehicle they were putting it in. There's nothing really special about the stick. The tang has to mate with the shifter base and the bends have to be formed so you don't run into the dash or the seat.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #64
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
The stick itself is made by GM because it's specific to whatever vehicle they were putting it in. There's nothing really special about the stick. The tang has to mate with the shifter base and the bends have to be formed so you don't run into the dash or the seat.
It just occured to me: if they had continued to use a round stick it probably never would have caught my eye.

The flat stick is what I noticed that made me want one so bad.

What I grew up with:
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Old 12-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #65
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
As noted before, there are several shifters for GM. My 2wd and 4wd shifters are different, the 4wd appears to be heavier built and positioned slightly to the left when compared to the 2wd one, not sure if it's 4wd or a model year thing as it is earlier (mech bell while the 2wd is hydro belll).
Thank you for your help and advice. Can you tell us what year is your 2WD and what year is your 4WD, its not clear to me from your signature and I don't want to assume wrong.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:17 PM   #66
MusicMan70

Quote:
the NOS knob above appears "shiny" which is not how I recall them being.
Well I did have the old ball that was cracked and weather-worn and lost it's sheen. Also I have seen a photo showing this shiny style shift ball (first pic not my truck).
But the one you put together with the "grip" looks great too and the price is right!
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #67
dragonball98312

Wink Re: What can be said about the 4-speed New Process NV833 overdrive manual transmissio

Quote:
Well I did have the old ball that was cracked and weather-worn and lost it's sheen. Also I have seen a photo showing this shiny style shift ball (first pic not my truck).
But the one you put together with the "grip" looks great too and the price is right!
Any interest in letting the old one go?
Old 12-16-2015, 07:43 AM   #68
D13

Quote:
Thank you for your help and advice. Can you tell us what year is your 2WD and what year is your 4WD, its not clear to me from your signature and I don't want to assume wrong.
No clue. both were CL acqusitions. Base on the hydro bell the 2wd is a later one. i want to say the 4wd is 83. Biggest differences are case (iron 4wd, aluminum 2wd), shifter (heavier rods and different positiono on 4wd) and output shaft (TH400 style shorter shaft on 4wd vs tail housing, longer shaft and TH350 splines on 2wd).

If I get a chance I'll seeif they have tags still. They are in a shed with no lights so have to have a bright day and some ambition to get to them.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:20 AM   #69
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Interesting; I wonder if it is a model year difference, or - if I just blew it and thought my "shiny" shift ball was worn out.

I didn't keep it so I can't reconfirm at this point.

K
1986 - 2019
Old 12-17-2015, 11:12 AM   #70
Gregski
Post Whore

for any of you interested in doing the Keith transfer case knob swap, there is a transfer case knob for sell on eBay at this time, it is not mine, and the price is very reasonable still

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161890228860...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2015, 12:35 AM   #71
barry1982

I have got two of these NV833 or A833's . Both of mine came as factory equipment in 1982 GMC half tons with 6.2 Diesel. Both trannys have an aluminum bell housing with cast iron tranny bodies and non hydraulic clutch.
They shift well, and I like the tall overdrive on the highway. At 65 MPH on a summer day the 6.2 / A833 in a two wheel drive pickup I have made 33 MPG (Imperial gallon) Im in Canada. If your looking for one of these transmissions, try checking bone yards for early 6.2's
barry1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:40 PM   #72
Gregski
Post Whore

man I gotta tell you I am really enjoying studying these spieces of transmissions, the Four-Gearsis-Overdrivis

went to home depot and got three 3/8th - 16 x 1 inch long grade 8 Cap Screws and spring washers to bolt up the shifter mechanism to the tail shaft of this beauty

I swear there is a dude on eBay selling these three bolts and washers for like $20 bucks and calling it some Hurst Mounting Kit - LOL, I paid about $3 bucks for mine
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2015, 06:43 PM   #73
Gregski
Post Whore

so lets take a look at the linkage shall we

first thing you may notice is that I am missing the middle rod, the longest rod, that I believe is the 3rd/4th gear rod

the green tape shows you where it would start at and where it would end at, minus a few strategic twists and turns
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2015, 06:49 PM   #74
Gregski
Post Whore

then I decided to exercise the transmission a little bit, and noticed I had difficulty shifting between 1st and 2nd gear, not even using the shifter just holding the loose rod with my hand and trying to push it forward and pull it aft

I switched the rod to the 3rd and 4th gear and that one shifted fine by hand

so there was only one thing to do, that is peak inside the belly of the beast

first I noticed that two of the 10 bolts in the rosary have different washers and are a bit longer, what I didn't notice that there is a third bolt which itself isn't longer than the other 8 but does have a thicker neck, this proved to be a PIA in terms of getting it back in, in other words I forgot which hole it came out of
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #75
Gregski
Post Whore

i was pleased with what I saw, nice oily bits and no broken teeth or metal shavings, and pleased with what I didn't see, that being any rusty parts
Attached Images