The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #1
68Blu

Digging in...

I was changing my steering wheel this afternoon and I noticed something (well 2 somethings) concerning.

1) the threads are looking rough/ worn. Looks like someone cross threaded at some point then “fixed” them. The splines are also worn, still functioning though.

2) the gap between the turn signal housing and the post cover is large enough for me to fit my fingers in (I’m a woman so smaller fingers than a man’s).

Suggestions? Thanks
68Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #2
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: Digging in...

Pictures?
The gap...is the outer metal cover loose? The cpver is retained by bolts that pinch it to the center column, if they get loose the gap could get big, the bolts are the same ones that retain the turn signal switch.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:08 PM   #3
68Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
Pictures?
The gap...is the outer metal cover loose? The cpver is retained by bolts that pinch it to the center column, if they get loose the gap could get big, the bolts are the same ones that retain the turn signal switch.
Best I can in the garage. I’ll try to get pictures of the shaft tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2019, 10:11 PM   #4
Astro-Balls

Aftermarket wheel from the previous owner?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWK8GgWD4uA
Astro-Balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:29 PM   #5
Boog
laying low

Does the column have the big washer and spring on the lower end underhood? It preloads the bearings and closes up that gap a bit. Well I don’t have that pic on this phone. I’m sure Randy does.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:50 PM   #6
Sheepdip

Those after market wheel kits are a generic fit and never do fit or look right IMHO, don't know what you are changing your wheel to but unless you go back GM with all the correct components it will probably still be less than stellar.

Looks like you could use a dress up kit if your keeping that column.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-C...4383.l4275.c10

At the bottom of the column under the hood there should be a spring and big thick washer that firms up the slack, sometimes people remove them for more shaft needed out the top for after market wheels.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:58 PM   #7
68Blu

The mechanic adjusted the steering column and when he did this gap appeared. Before that the steering wheel fit prefect. I’ll check in the morning to see about the washer and spring under the hood.

I’m thinking a new column might have to be added to the list due to the wearing of the splines and threads. Will post pictures of those too.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:31 AM   #8
randy500
Account Suspended

Agree the gap is probably due to the spring and washer...not enough preload, or the aftermarket wheel, they sometimes dont fit right.

You can change just the center shaft....and add the factory indicator lens housing and pointer.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:09 AM   #9
68Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
Agree the gap is probably due to the spring and washer...not enough preload, or the aftermarket wheel, they sometimes dont fit right.

You can change just the center shaft....and add the factory indicator lens housing and pointer.
Unfortunately the factory indicator lens doesn’t work with my 700r4 transmission. I’ve been looking for a lens with overdrive but no luck. What’s currently on there is driving me nuts because it looks like crap. Any suggestions on that front would be greatly appreciated. (I have searched this site and this seems to be a common issue) Thanks
Old 10-12-2019, 07:26 AM   #10
randy500
Account Suspended

There isnt a lens for overdrive for that column. There is one for a tilt column...

Put the stock lens on it and just always use drive position as overdrive...overdrive is the new drive.....and has been for many many years now.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #11
bigmac73

if you decide to go with a new column , contact KEVSCLASSICS on here , he refurbished GM Tilts and not tilts columns, I got a factory tilt column from here and I have no complaints. DO NOT BUY the CHEAP Aftermarket Columns or you will end up in a ditch. there was an article floating on here years ago about the cheap columns and integral parts issues.
I found it --
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-alert.799535/
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #12
68Blu

Our column is non tilt and I’m thinking about asking my Dad if he can make me the parts. I also remembered there’s a local guy who rebuilds columns. Now to remember his name ..
Old 10-12-2019, 10:47 PM   #13
68Blu

No luck on the local guy. I’ll keep my eye on the for sale board. Driving around today and the speedo is on it’s last legs. Argh! Add it to the list...

Dakota Digital cluster or New Vintage USA gauges?

I’m a research hound. I’m not looking to buy the cluster/ gauges tomorrow but am compiling the list and trying to determine order of priority. (I didn’t want to clog up the board with another thread. If I should make this separate please let me know. I also did a search but found 1 old thread about NVU.)
Old 10-12-2019, 10:56 PM   #14
68Blu

Pic of the spring and washer under the hood.
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2019, 11:12 PM   #15
Smitty

Contact Tbone. He restores our instruments and does a great job! Lives in Oregon so if shouldn't spend a lot of time in the mail. tbonegarris@yahoo.com
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:05 PM   #16
68Blu

So, got we got the truck back and after a month of running errands with her, I killed it. Always knew we would have to drop an engine in her but not this soon. I’ve been searching the site looking for info on 350s. There’s so much it’s easy to become overwhelmed. Most of the posts I’m seeing are at LEAST 5 years old.

We’ve narrowed our choices down to 2:

350/290HP https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19355658

350/330 HP https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19210007.html

This truck is going to be a daily driver so we’re looking for a nice balance of MPG and power. Any thoughts and experience would be greatly appreciated.

Rather than start a new thread I thought I’d just add to this one.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:19 PM   #17
External

Fellow researcher to another,
I read bad things about the 290 hp.
I would suggest going for the 330hp.
I am also waiting out the engine failure, this year make 48 years on mine! Good luck with your project.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #18
jocko

Recommend GM L31R - you'll need an electric fuel pump, but other than that, pretty straightforward swap.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:59 AM   #19
RodnRudy

GM makes the 350 HO with a roller cam now, probably a better choice, they call it 357/350. It still has the mechanical fuel pump boss.
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:40 PM   #20
cornerstone

Randy500 (the first guy to help you in this thread) routinely has tilt and non tilt columns for sale. I am a customer of his and can attest to his work and service. I bet he has columns for sale now in the parts section.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:43 PM   #21
68Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Randy500 (the first guy to help you in this thread) routinely has tilt and non tilt columns for sale. I am a customer of his and can attest to his work and service. I bet he has columns for sale now in the parts section.
Thanks, I just bought a tilt column from him last week! Very nice and patient guy. 😁
Old 11-06-2019, 09:50 PM   #22
68Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodnRudy View Post
GM makes the 350 HO with a roller cam now, probably a better choice, they call it 357/350. It still has the mechanical fuel pump boss.
Well we just got home from the mechanics (I’m game to learn as much as possible but engine replacement is WAY out of my league- for now). Went with the 357/350. The roller cam and torque is what sold us. Weird thing is we couldn’t find it in the JEGS catalog. Thank you iPad!

So Merry early Christmas to us- new engine, DD cluster, and a Randy500 tilt steering column all on the way.

Thank you everyone for all of your replies and help. I’ll post updates with pictures when we get her back.