The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2007, 01:57 AM   #1
get me on the road
No Matter What.

Putting padding inside sub box.

I am going to be building a center console box for 2, 12" subs. When me and my dad were cleaning out the attic we found some not so old padding that goes under house carpet. I think it is 1/2 an inch thick. So I was wondering if it can be glued to the inside sides of the sub box? If so, what affect will it have on the bass? Thanks in advance for any comments.
86 Mercury Cougar /89 Olds 88 /88 Chevy S-10 /84 Pontiac Firebird(I miss it) /91 Chevy S-10
get me on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:44 AM   #2
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Re: Putting padding inside sub box.

Yes, you can do it. I'm not sure what effect it will have on the sound. Usually you put something along the lines of pillow stuffing inside of a sealed box to aid in sound deadening and tuning.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #3
Classic69
Love That '69

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceX View Post
Yes, you can do it. I'm not sure what effect it will have on the sound. Usually you put something along the lines of pillow stuffing inside of a sealed box to aid in sound deadening and tuning.
AceX is correct. Yes, you can use the padding. Some places put something similar in subwoofer boxes for sound deadening. I dunno if it would tune your subs more or less. But it shouldn't hinder the bass response or SPL of your subs.

1969 Chevy C/10 Truck - SBC V8, TH-350, 3.73 Posi, 1000W Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, B&M Megashifter, GT Grant Steering Wheel, Dual Magnaflow Exhaust System, Dynomax Headers, Lowered 1" Front & 3" Rear, Front/Rear Sway Bars, Racing Seats, 6000K HID Headlights

2008 Chevy Colorado LT - 3.7L I5, 4 Speed Automatic, Crew Cab, 4X4, Z71 Off-Road Package, "Ground Effects" Package, K&N Cold Air Intake, Supermod PTB, Magnaflow Exhaust w/ Resonator, 500W Kenwood / Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, Custom LED Lighting, 6000K HID Low's / High's, Blackcat Customs Gauges / Needles, Carbon Fiber Interior Accents, KrFabs 2" Lift Shackles / Torsion Bar Crank with Rancho RS5000 Shocks, Superskids Skid Plates
Classic69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:30 PM   #4
Buffrock

Yes you can and should line the box with a dense material. Make sure when you build you enclosure you brace all panels over say 10" x 14" and don't brace in the middle of the panel, this will help each panel on either side of the brace resonate at different frequencies. the advantage of a loose fill (stuffing) the box is to make the box "appear" larger to the sub(s) ie; more air space.
Buffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:00 PM   #5
corn

If you are going to just glue a little on the sides Id just skip it. Most times its used to trick a box thats too small into acting like a bigger box. If you are trying to do this you will want to pack as much into the box as you can. I agree with the above comment that this is only for a sealed box...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:12 AM   #6
djracer

as stated sealed box only you can put poly fill (polyester pillow stuffing) inside the enclosure to reduce standing waves in side the box and make the sub think the box is larger than it is! it is very cheap!

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote