The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2007, 01:17 AM   #1
Tom
driving is in my blood

Tuning the new sub with the amp?

Ok so I finally got my sub in my truck. Its a single kicker comp VR 10" in a downfire box under the rear seat. Hooked it up and it runs fine but I need to fine tune it. I played with the amp a bit but since I don't know sterios I figured I should ask before I blow somthing. I have three settings on the amp [kicker 5 channel, 4 normal and 1 sub]for the sub output:
bass boost [dB] 0-18
sub gain 0-11
sub x-over freq [Hz] 50-200

I listen to mostly metal and rock so I want punchy bass more then booming. More then settings Im just wondering what each of these controls and how it will affect the music as I change them?
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
72 cheyenne pdx

Re: Tuning the new sub with the amp?

They way I tune a system is this.

Turn down all the gains on the Amp(s).
Put in the song that you would like to tune to.
Turn up the head unit to about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up. (this is usually the point where the distortion of the head unit comes in.)
turn up the gains on the front speakers right before you hear distortion.
turn up the gains on the back speakers right before distortion.
Then turn up the sub gains to match the sound of the front/rear speakers.

The x-over frequency is to eliminate all the higher frequency the stereo is producing. With a 10" sub, I would do the x-over at about 100 to 150 hz, but you can play with this and pick what you would like.

The bass boost is just that. It boost the bass sound. Again, you can play with that to get the best sound for you.

The gain can be taken as a volume control for the amp. You are fine tuning the maximum volume of the speakers.

If some one wants to step in to help, or other ways to tune a system, please join.

Good luck
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:15 AM   #3
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

with what he said. That's the cheapest way to do it for a non-discriminating person. However, one could take it in to a stereo shop that adjusts to an oscilliscope, but 99% of the people won't be able to tell the difference if the above is done correctly. Besides, you're deaf anyway from listening to all that loud rock music!

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:34 AM   #4
02_GMC_97_FIII

I second '72 Cheyenne, I tune the same way. -Matt

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SS 6.0L AWD 400HP
02_GMC_97_FIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
dirtyd_nd

I disagree with the post above. Tuning it by ear is wrong and can still cause problems. Use this thread from FullSizeChevy.com. http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...-tutorial.html You will not be disapointed.

dale
dirtyd_nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
72 cheyenne pdx

DIRTYD ND - I don't think it is the wrong way. I have been doing audio systems now for over 18 years, and all the conpanies I worked for over the years never did it the way the link you provided states. Now if Tom wants to spend more money for the extra equipment (if he doesn't already own them) to tune his system or pay a company that uses this method, that is totally up to him. I just gave him my expertise on this matter.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:48 PM   #7
dirtyd_nd

I have never heard of any car stereo shop tuning a system "by ear". It's not the correct way to do it. I'd be willing to bet that if Tom bought Kicker audio equipment, that he has a multimeter. If not, you can get a decent one for $20-30. The link I posted earlier has the tones that you need to do the tuning. In fact, here is a link to it on another site. Cllick on the "Interactive Input Sensitivity (gain) Setting Tutorial". the second one down. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_a...php?page_id=30
Find me a tutorial that says to set it by ear on JL or any other audio companys web site. Will most people be able to tell the difference. No. But, they also won't be able to hear the distortion in thier equipment that is causing it damage. Damage that will after time, cause failure.
Dale
dirtyd_nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
Buffrock

There is far too many variables still. are you running the factory spks with the 4 channel and the sub on the sub output? Regardless you probably don't want the rear spks playing as load as the front as the setup in dirtyd's link sugests. Set it up by ear as per 72 Cheyenne's post. I've set up plenty of large systems with factory reps and the only time we used a meter or scope was to balance amps in multi amp SPL vehicles.
Buffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:56 PM   #9
72 cheyenne pdx

You ask, you shall receive.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Car-Audio-...-Up!&id=532327

http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-suppor...X460AmpMan.pdf

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/MungoBl...17/APX4360.pdf

I could keep going but I don't have that much time to waste on this little petty issue. I never said that you were wrong about the way you tune a system. It was the other way around. You are correct in saying JL doesn't say the way I tune, but here are other reputable companies' manuals and an article online on how to tune the amp. So before you go all high and mighty on how to tune a system, get your facts first. Maybe in the Portland Metro area of Oregon, we do things differently.

Tom - Good luck with your tuning. Let us all know how you did it and how you like the sound.

SEA
Old 11-21-2007, 12:06 AM   #10
djracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd_nd View Post
I disagree with the post above. Tuning it by ear is wrong and can still cause problems. Use this thread from FullSizeChevy.com. http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...-tutorial.html You will not be disapointed.

dale
This method is a joke! First of all you don't have accurate power ratings on most equiptment so this will never work! I have been in the business for over 20 years and competed all over the southeast! I don't even use power ratings as most of them are a joke! I use current draw as idea of how much power something will put out! I have run speakers with several times more power than they recommend without a problem. Distortion blows speakers!

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote