The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2007, 02:32 AM   #1
pmpski_1

Zune system with no head unit

I have the original AM radio in my uncut dash. I'd like to be able to use my Zune mp3 player in the truck, but I'd rather not spend the money for a new head unit and cut the dash. The Zune has a radio built in, and all of my music collection has been converted to mp3, so I really don't need a head unit.

I was thinking about building a custom console, then throwing a set of speakers and and amp in it. I could just plug the Zune directly into the amp using a 1/8" to RCA adapter.

Sounds straight forward to me, but I know absolutely nothing about car stereos. Does this sound like it would work? Do I just need to get power to the amp?
pmpski_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:49 AM   #2
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Re: Zune system with no head unit

The short answer: Yes.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
72 cheyenne pdx

Hey PMPSKI 1,
How do you like the Zune? I have be contemplating on getting a Zune or Ipod.
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:42 AM   #4
pmpski_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 cheyenne pdx View Post
Hey PMPSKI 1,
How do you like the Zune? I have be contemplating on getting a Zune or Ipod.

I like the Zune. It's not the same thing that everyone else has, so that is one of the main draws for me.

1. The Zune software for the PC is sweeeet. I hate iTunes. I haven't used the iTunes store to buy music, but the fact that whatever I buy will only play on apple products turns me off. The Zune market place let's me download mp3s so I can play them wherever I want.

2. I like the Zune pass. I can 'rent' a whole bunch of music and then decide what I actually want to buy for my permanent collection.

3. You can buy an older version of Zune (they have them as cheap as 80 bucks lately) and 'upgrade' it to the latest version of the firmware.

4. It has an FM tuner built in. Perfect for the scenario I posted about.

5. www.zuneoriginals.net

6. The sound quality of the Zune is better IMHO.

7. Wireless sync with my PC. I haven't used this yet, but it's nice to know that it's there. I can think of scenarios where this will be cool to have in the future.

8. I like the feel of the Zune better. Something just feels right with it.

The only downside is that there are so many products out there with iPod integration, but few with Zune integration. I can get a kit for my wife's car that will allow me to control an iPod from the buttons on the steering wheel. Lots of new cars come with iPod integration as an option. New aftermarket stereos have this option. Next thing you know my dishwasher will have ipod integration. There is very little offered for Zune integration outside of new Fords. I could handle a new Mustang that has Zune integration, but I decided to hold out for a new Camaro Hopefully I'll have more choices by then.

Anyway, it looks like I'll be creating a custom console with my own Zune integration.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:59 AM   #5
huero
1969 Short, Fleet, and Beat

Does it pull in the FM as well as a car stereo?
huero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
pmpski_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by huero View Post
Does it pull in the FM as well as a car stereo?
I don't have a lot of experience with the FM tuner, but it's been ok so far. Since it doesn't have an external antennae I wonder how it will do once you get farther away from a strong radio signal. I'm in a city so I haven't had any problems so far.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #7
Ozona
Account Suspended

I use my Zune in my '72 Sierra.

Works great.

Honestly I have the Custom Autocrackle stereo and set it to Auxillary to use the Zune. It works better...without the Custom Autosound stereo.

To do it over I would have left the stock AM radio in the dash and do the same thing w/ my Zune.
Ozona is offline   Reply With Quote