The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2017, 10:01 AM   #1
Tellerbama

Wannabe Wrencher from Colorado

Hey all,

My name is Dalton and I'm from Colorado. I've always been into old cars and trucks but grew up in a house with a dad who didn't work on is own vehicles so I never learned to wrench until I began taking on bigger and bigger projects with my Harley. I've been looking for a pre 73 c10 for a while now and finally found a great starter 72 project. I picked it up last night for dirt cheap and can't wait to dig in. I'm sure I'll be seeking help from all the pros on here quite often. In fact, I think I'll need some help identifying alterations asap due to the fact the guy I bought it from had zero history on the truck and its obvious a lot has been done already. Anyway, thanks for having me and I look forward to getting this thing dialed.
Attached Images

Tellerbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #2
3757chevy

Re: Wannabe Wrencher from Colorado

Welcome aboard.
MIKE
3757chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
AJBert

Welcome to the site, neighbor!
AJBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
Ski-me

Welcome to the mountains! Looks like a fun project. Any more pics and what do you plan to do first?

Probably check brakes and change fluids. Safety items first.

How can he have "0" posts?!?

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
Jered1987

Welcome to the page. What does the truck have for specs?
Suspension , engine , tranny. How's the body, gobs of body filler?
Jered1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
Tellerbama

AJBERT, it looks like we live very close to each other. Sweet.

Ski-me, I do have some and I'll try to post tomorrow. As far as plans, I've identified some stuff that requires attention before I'm off and having fun. I purchased a battery and a new set of tires today. The exhaust manifold is cracked so it sounds neat but needs addressed. It's currently stuck in first gear (partly why I got it for so cheap) and I need to disassemble the linkage and try to manually place it in neutral.

Safety considerations: Oil looks clean and doesn't smell like fuel but I'll change it anyway. Didnt find oil in the coolant so thats good. Brakes work and plenty of pad left in front. Im not good with drums so I'll need to figure out how to check the status on those...

Whats been done: The 350 has been bored and cammed. It has a Holly carb and nice cleaner (haven't checked which one yet). Its been lowered but I'm not sure how...I assume the coils were cut and thats it. It has an electronic fuel pump with an on/off switch in the cab. Im assuming he wired it directly into 12v. I was able to find a # on the gear box and found out the transmission is a Saginaw 4speed.

So....Lots of fun and work ahead!
Old 12-01-2017, 12:04 PM   #7
68is4me

and congrates on the purchase. There is no time like the present time to learn. If you have any questions ask, this site is loaded with never ending knowledge and happy wrenching.
06 gmc duramax
68is4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:39 AM   #8
Tellerbama

Thanks, I appreciate it. I guarantee you I will have a ton of questions over the next few months while I learn figure this thing out. I'm going to start digging in here when I get off of work. How do you suggest I go about it without being annoying? I have a few issue I will need to solve right off the bat. Should I post my questions separately on the forum or start a build thread with multiple questions? I know I'm going to have questions regarding the gearbox, leak at the tranny/driveline, and exhaust manifold break.

Also, which shop/repair manual is a must have for my 72 c10? I'd like to get that on order asap. Please suggest any other reading material I'll need.

I haven't forgotten about pictures. I have been at work since I started the thread. I will get some more pics in the next few days.

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

Jered 1987, I'm not sure about the suspension. It appears to be stock with heated/cut coils for the lowering. The engine is the 350 and I was told it was bored and cammed but the guy had no idea what the previous owner did. It has a Holly carb and I haven't had time to look at which air intake is mounted but it looks nice. The tranny was a mystery but I looked up the number on the casing and it came up with a 4 speed saginaw. I just got the thing and headed off to work without inspecting the body too awfully much but it appears straight and I don't suspect tons of filler. I test drove the truck quickly during the daytime and i couldn't turn down the offer so I picked it up that night without being able to inspect everything real close. For 1800 bucks, I felt I couldn't go wrong with this project. The guy I bought it from really wanted to learn the ropes and fix it up himself but time got away from him and I think his wife wanted the thing out of the driveway

Last edited by Tellerbama; 12-02-2017 at 12:54 AM. Reason: forgot to reply to someone
Old 12-02-2017, 08:49 AM   #9
mongocanfly
Post Whore

tellarbama..for a sec there from your name I though you was from my neck of the woods..your def inn the right place...

skime.....( ..how can he have "0" posts?!?..)..you get no post counts in the welcome area forum...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote