The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2017, 12:45 AM   #1
59chevy310p

59 truck rear end swap..... disc?

Ok so I have stripped my 1959 chevy SB step side down to just a rolling frame. Have 4 inch drop axle with disc conversion 6 lug. Upgraded master cylinder for 4 way disc and 7 inch corvette booster on the frame. So now I want to upgrade to rear so I'm trying to find a rearend that I can put in that is somewhat beefy and disc I will have a chevy 5.3 with all the fuel injection. I thought of a 2000 chevy tahoe but too wide so does anyone have a idea or a direct swap they have done and liked? This truck will be a daily driver and want to drive it all over

Thanks guys look forward to your ideas
59chevy310p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:22 AM   #2
bobinbc

Re: 59 truck rear end swap..... disc?

If you want to keep it 6 bolt I think I've heard 60's chevy 2wd 12 bolt will fit. You will have to weld on spring perches though

Edit: I just noticed you said disc brakes. You would have to convert that axle to disc. There are kits available or you could look at using 3rd gen Camaro rear discs on it

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:38 AM   #3
dsraven

try this for track widths. I hear a camaro from late 70's is about the right width but would require drilling for proper wheel pattern. has discs but not sure how great they are. some threads on upgrading them to be better. add more money from pocket

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...l_measurements

the '60's chevy 12 bolt could be adapted for discs with a kit, add more money from pocket.

there is also the ford 8.8 from a mustang (centered diff ) or an explorer (offset diff) but you would need to drill the axles and discs for your pattern. they are pretty tough axles. cheap too. stabilizer bar from ranger will fit in front of axle for more fuel tank clearance behind axle, if you go that way. cheap at pick n pull. comes with discs, tophat style park brake with easy connections, 3.73 posi, large axles, parts available from any parts shop. need to adapt driveshaft. add money from pocket. check it out here

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...lorer8_8.shtml

for 4 link kits and misc brackets try this out of Canada (exchange rate really good for US dollar right now)

https://www.welderseries.com/

pic is one of my mock ups with the ford explorer 8.8 and ranger stab bar, s10 shocks, home made air bag brackets outboard on frame, welder series 4 link and pan hard bar. just for reference. track width is close to stock so if you plan on huge back tires then a narrower diff would be required and/or tubs with big offset wheels.

one pic shows stock truck pan hanging down. camaro pan fixed that
one pic shows stock camaro manifolds that fixed the too wide truck manifold issue
one pic shows camaro engine mounts with home fabbed mount to frame. makes engine removal easy and also allows steering shaft to line up. engine sits low and back, dimple in firewall for fuel rail clearance-dual rail set up with return line-could be changed.
Attached Images

dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59chevy310p View Post
Ok so I have stripped my 1959 chevy SB step side down to just a rolling frame. Have 4 inch drop axle with disc conversion 6 lug. Upgraded master cylinder for 4 way disc and 7 inch corvette booster on the frame. So now I want to upgrade to rear so I'm trying to find a rearend that I can put in that is somewhat beefy and disc I will have a chevy 5.3 with all the fuel injection. I thought of a 2000 chevy tahoe but too wide so does anyone have a idea or a direct swap they have done and liked? This truck will be a daily driver and want to drive it all over

Thanks guys look forward to your ideas

you can do rear discs for looks, or just because you want them. but any, even small, upgrade to the front brakes will have a much larger impact on braking performance than rear disc brakes in almost all driving situations, even panic stops. drum brakes work tremendously well.

the chevy colorado rear will be close to the right track width, will be the right bolt pattern (6 on 5.5), and some colorados came with rear discs and even behind a 5.3. keep in mind the 4x4 rear will be wider than the 2wd colorado. I havent looked at the HUMMER H3 rear axle track width, but the H3 is a colorado in different clothes and I know has rear disc.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
dsraven

does the colorado have a different size hole in the centre of the hub? I seem to recall something like that. regular wheels don't fit because of the centre hole. better check beforehand if you plan on easy wheel fitment with some regular 1/2 ton wheels. envoy and trailblazer are the same, a little different wheel circle
Old 04-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #6
joedoh

the trailblazer/envoy dont share any major parts with the colorado/canyon, and the track width is wider than the colorado. trailblazer envoy is 6 on 5, colorado canyon is 6 on 5.5.

the colorado also has the same centerbore as gm 6 lug from the 40s all the way to 1988, when GM in their infinite wisdom made the centerbore SMALLER on the 6 lug fullsize trucks (4x4 trucks and tahoe/suburban etc). for this reason, the colorado mini spare is a great spare to carry for an old truck if you dont have room for a full size spare, the center bore will fit the older trucks. so as long as your wheels fit the original rear axle currently, they will fit the colorado.

most of the problem you see with colorado centerbore is the guys who want to use late model fullsize chevy 6 lug wheels on the colorado, not the other way around. this is the same problem people have with late model fullsize 6 lug wheels on just about anything 6 lug, the centerbore is smaller

Old 04-25-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
dsraven

here is some info on wheel bolt patterns and center hole sizes to use with whatever diff you find. hope it helps.I quickly looked up the colorado for curiousity's sake. haha

http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-r...#axzz4fHxj1whr
Old 04-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #8
joedoh

thats strange, that list contradicts one thing I said (same centerbore) even though I have personally used a colorado space saver spare tire on a 62 rear axle to roll around.

but going the other way, the old chevy center bore will fit the colorado rear, and thats the second thing I said.

I do see some mistakes, the 3/4 ton chevys have been 8 on 6.5 till 2010 or so, even the 41 3/4 ton I took apart is 8 lug. it also says the 70s 4x4 have the small centerbore, and I know thats wrong too.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:49 AM   #9
dsraven

well, it came off the net so take it with a grain of salt I guess.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:52 AM   #10
59chevy310p

Well I thank you all for your advice gonna go to a junk yard and do some measuring and seeing what they have sound like I'll have to do a disc on a 12 bolt.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:41 AM   #11
dsraven

pay attention to the size of the disc diameter and also the caliper bore size front to rear on the donor vehicle. grab the master and proportioning valve as well if possible because you will have a better chance of getting the brakes to work well if they are sort of matchy matchy with the master and bore sizes. it is about displacement of a volume of brake fluid that you are trying to match, front to rear, from an original master cyl set up for disc/disc brakes. also pay attention to how the park brake hooks up so you will have less issues when it is your turn to figure out how to make it work on your truck. grab as much as you need and write down the year, model, vin of the donor the stuff came from. easier to find parts later.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:44 AM   #12
59chevy310p

Good to know and will keep it in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
pay attention to the size of the disc diameter and also the caliper bore size front to rear on the donor vehicle. grab the master and proportioning valve as well if possible because you will have a better chance of getting the brakes to work well if they are sort of matchy matchy with the master and bore sizes. it is about displacement of a volume of brake fluid that you are trying to match, front to rear, from an original master cyl set up for disc/disc brakes. also pay attention to how the park brake hooks up so you will have less issues when it is your turn to figure out how to make it work on your truck. grab as much as you need and write down the year, model, vin of the donor the stuff came from. easier to find parts later.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:45 AM   #13
bobinbc

Here's a Hot Rod article on using 3rd Gen Camaro/Firebird (88-97) rear brakes on a 10 or 12 bolt

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-...kyard-builder/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #14
_Ogre

truk has a 3rd gen trans am rearend w/disc brakes under it (82-92) that was bought for $175
not 6 lug but you may be able to have the axles drilled

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #15
dsraven

there may be 6 lug axles available by cross reference at the gear supply place near you (sounds like a cinema ad, haha) that would make things easier. or maybe a set of axles with no holes drilled (blank flanges) that would allow you to drill your own. would have to do the discs as well of course.
just a thought.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:00 AM   #16
Coupeguy2001

I know, I know, everybody has seen this pic.
Looks good to me.

The rear axle is from a 72 GMC with leaf springs. It has the heavy duty finned drums. It is also wider than stock TF.
(poor man"s disc brakes)
The wheels are flat wheels from a 96 Impala.
Only thing I did to make the rears fit was roll the fender lip about 3/8".
The lugs are 5 on 5, and I have spacers in the front to go from 5 on 4 3/4 to 5 on 5.
It is possible for you to go 6 lug to 5 lug with spacers.
Also, the wheels are 17 inch. that opens up more choices for tires.

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 04-27-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:11 AM   #17
59chevy310p

Hey that's a beautiful truck really like the stance. so I'm gonna keep the stock rear end for now but tomorrow gonna go pick up a 12 bolt for a buddy and build it up with disc brakes it will be fun never have tackled something like that but only can learn. It's sad I wish that I could do welding because I have a complete camero front clip but don't think I can tackle that project so it's just gonna sit till I find a really nice friend that will do it for me lol someday....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupeguy2001 View Post

I know, I know, everybody has seen this pic.

The rear axle is from a 72 GMC with leaf springs.
The wheels are flat wheels from a 96 Impala.
Only thing I did to make the rears fit was roll the fender lip about 3/8".
The lugs are 5 on 5, and I have spacers in the front to go from 5 on 4 3/4 to 5 on 5.
Looks good to me.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:23 AM   #18
Coupeguy2001

Thanks for the compliment.

well, I have a stupid me story about the rear.

I found this guy with the rear end, and he said it was rebuilt. He had a wife and two little daughters, so I believed him. Didn't open it up.
When i got it home, I found that he apparently had two different size tires on the back, and spun the spider gears to death.
I bought another rear out of a bakery truck for $50 bucks, opened it up and looked at it, everything looked new inside. both were 12 bolt, and 30 spline axles.
I switched the internals from the longer axle to the shorter axle, but used the spacer from the short axle on the long axle pinion.
I bought all new bearings and a spacer kit, and reassembled the rear axle. new seals and gaskets, and so far, cross your fingers, everything is fine.
Good luck on the brakes.

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 04-27-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:34 AM   #19
59chevy310p

I've had the same issue before but with a tranny I hate Craigslist and people who would screw people over.