The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Jasper89

Restoring factory AC

After purchasing my 72 c-20 I am in the process of doing the winter updates. The question I have is I want my ride to look factory fresh and I am missing all of the parts for the AC system from the firewall to the engine. Brackets belts, condenser and such. My ride has a automatic 350 v-8.

My neighbor who owns a few farms in the area has a couple wrecked trucks in the field that have mostly complete systems.

The question what is a good price for the parts? He is asking a couple hundred dollars for maybe 2 systems and I have to pull them myself. Is it a good deal or not.

Thanks for your feed back.
Jasper89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Re: Restoring factory AC

I did the same with my 70 GMC. I think $100 ought to be a good number if your pulling it yourself. I bought new lines, dryer, condenser, heater core, compressor, etc. Small block brackets are pretty common and always for sale cheap on the parts board. LMC sells a seal kit. There is a stamped metal piece that rivets to the a/c box, most of these are rusted out from the drain getting plugged. I found this one on e-bay. Also make sure the box isn't busted.
If you take a battery with you and a jumper you can check to see if the blower motor is good.
If I you need anymore info just holler.
Attached Images

71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
Jasper89

Thanks RenoKeene for the info. It is 5 degrees outside right now I think I can wait until it warms up a little bit. I do not think those are not going anywhere for awhile.
Jasper89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
mrein3

I think a fair price is $100 per system, used. So if you're thinking $200 for two systems, I'd go for it.

I have done this and would do it again.

I did a write up a few years ago. You can look at it here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478564

Grab the receiver/dryers from the donors but do NOT use them in your finished product. Use them to fab up everything but get a new one when ready to charge the system.

Lots of guys on here knock the stock compressors but I've had nothing but good luck with them. With the compressor off the truck, turn the center hub. If the hub turns and you hear hissing out the back, its compressing and in my experience is good to go. You just need to flush it. You flush it by pouring in AC oil, spinning it a few times, and draining the oil out. After two or three flushes, drain it good and install it.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
Eddie H.

I recently sold 2 nearly complete factory AC systems on craigslist for $350