The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2019, 11:42 AM   #76
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Do people like the old truck manual transmissions?

I may have come across as negative about stick transmissions. I can drive a stick and have owned vehicles in the past with stick transmissions. Now that I don't commute so far, I'm looking for another truck to drive around in town, and if it happens to be a stick trans, that would be fine. My wife doesn't want a stick vehicle, so maybe that'll keep her out of it!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:17 PM   #77
special-K
Special Order

So the Colorado Front Range traffic is so hemmed up now because they're all stoned, ey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I may have come across as negative about stick transmissions. I can drive a stick and have owned vehicles in the past with stick transmissions. Now that I don't commute so far, I'm looking for another truck to drive around in town, and if it happens to be a stick trans, that would be fine. My wife doesn't want a stick vehicle, so maybe that'll keep her out of it!
I caught your drift. I understand that anything to make driving in SoCal congestion easier is a good thing when that is your life. I bet you'd agree it sucks in an automatic, too.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:25 PM   #78
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
So the Colorado Front Range traffic is so hemmed up now because they're all stoned, ey?

I caught your drift. I understand that anything to make driving in SoCal congestion easier is a good thing when that is your life. I bet you'd agree it sucks in an automatic, too.

Traffic Jam - YouTube
That's a side of James Taylor I've never heard. It sucked for 27 years. I was a nice guy and let the wife pick a house far from work. I shoulda coulda woulda had a house close to work. Well, it's over now, and I lived to complain about it!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:22 AM   #79
89AKurt

My two cents.... I've driven manual cars for decades, Hondas and MINI Coopers. But when I got my current car, decided the CVT would be fine, and for uphill traffic jams it's great. My previous pickup was a 350 auto, this '68 has the 4-on-the-floor, and I'm digging it, have used granny many times. It's also a good theft deterrent.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:30 AM   #80
lil hoodlum

I love my 3 speed manual in my 327 '68 C10, however I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area and the traffic can be really bad around here at times. I have been in stop and go traffic so many times on I35 and it sucks having to hold it my clutch for such long periods of time.

A few weeks ago I was stuck in traffic as all traffic had been rerouted off of the interstate because of an accident. After nearly 10 minutes of stop and go traffic, I had to pull over because my left leg was giving out on me from holding the clutch for so long.
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:53 AM   #81
special-K
Special Order

I try to stay out of the soup (my word for city traffic mess) with my work. When I do have to become an ingredient I look at the people around me and wonder how they can accept going through this every day going to and from work. So much for the free spirited mind. I'm not putting anyone down. I realize this is the reality so many have to face. Someone has to do it and I'm glad it's not me.

So I am doing a job now imbedded in the bad traffic zone. Or I should say it is a few bad traffic zones away. The interstate takes me through it all, and it is the longer way. Doesn't matter and is faster IF traffic is good. I-70 takes me south and east. Then I-695 takes me back up and around to the east and top side of Baltimore. Then north up I-83.

I live between I-70 and MD26, which travels east, then south to I-695 and into Baltimore. Right where it cuts south is a road that Ys off keeping me headed east. I do a cross country cut across that drops me onto I-695 just prior to I-83. I can just stay in the merge lane that becomes an exit lane. And my exit on I-83 is the first one. It gets soupy on my drive home and so does the big road route. I used to work over that way and beyond when I had my 5spd GMC, no problem there at all. To me it's the same PIA no matter what tranny.

This job normally takes about 50 minutes with no traffic back-up, like after 10am or so. In rush hour it will take about 1hr 40min, twice as long. Yesterday was the day between 2 days of rain and 2 days of snow & rain, so I worked down there on Sunday. It took 40 minute both ways! Heavy traffic sucks! But I love manual transmissions. I think I like them better in a traffic jam. There is the clutch, but I seem to use that less than the brake in an automatic. You have to pay absolute constant attention on the car ahead always using you right foot

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 12-21-2019, 01:59 AM   #82
Stephen717

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I haven't worked in suburban Montgomery County, drive on I-270, I-495, or anywhere near Washington, DC. I used to and I did it in manual trucks. Heavy work trucks. These days you hit bumper to bumper on I-70 east of the US40 split and MD32 heading south. I drive an automatic and I talk back roads to avoid those messes. Coming up I-95 from the south I get off at Fredericksburg, VA and cut cross country up US17 to US15. Now development is congesting in on that. The good thing is I haven't been on that route in a decade. Certainly not a daily concern.

It's true these days I avoid the traffic mess areas as much as possible. Basically it does not exist in my live, now. I am all about the grey areas and find black & white either/or mentality to be amusingly close minded and blind. That's why I had to laugh at "manuals have no place". I would never surrender myself to this pure hell I see described by those who deal with this daily. I would move or find a job at least pay that allowed me to avoid it. I've always avoided it when possible. Manuals quickly find their place in this modern world once snow falls

Beautiful Harpers Ferry, West Virginia where the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers meet and cut through the Blue Ridge Mountains and hikers on the Maine to Georgia Appalachian Trail can hike into a restaurant for a warm prepared meal at a table. A place away from the hustle and bustle of Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD where people go to get away. A place to camp, kayak, canoe, tube, take a raft trip, or try your hand at small mouth bass fishing.
Attachment 1964034

See that bridge? That's US340. It crosses the Potomac once and the Shenandoah once where it squeezes down to two lanes carved into the mountainside with the river dropped down on the other side. I call it "The Narrows". It is the 'only' route through that area for many miles around. You go from Maryland to Virginia to West Virginia in a couple miles. On the stretch between the bridges there are two roads to access those areas of VA and WVA. To make matters worse there is a traffic light at one. And, the Charles Town area has seen major housing development. M-F you have terrible backups for many miles through the whole area from commuter traffic and on the weekends it's just as bad from pleasure seekers. I'm looking to buy out that way on the Maryland side where I can get off US340 before approaching the river
It's definitely worse on the weekends, and in the summer if you're trying to get to Frederick MD the best way to do it is either take 340 to 9 into VA and turn left at the light to circle back through neersville. Or take 340 into Martinsburg hop on 81 to 70 and over. Trying to turn onto or off of chestnuts Hill road between the bridges sucks as well. All this being said if you don't mind slowing down and sitting in traffic listening to music the scenery is great and in the fall when all the leaves are changing and the rivers just starting to cool off there's no better time to roll with the windows down and just cruise. As for driving with a manual all the vehicles I've driven that have had them have been fine in stop and go traffic. My favorite though has been my buddies dodge (as I'm looking at an nv4500 and he said I could get a feel for how they shift) where I got stuck on the Maryland side of the bridges. Didn't have a problem with that truck or any other in stop and go traffic.
Stephen717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:27 AM   #83
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen717 View Post
It's definitely worse on the weekends, and in the summer if you're trying to get to Frederick MD the best way to do it is either take 340 to 9 into VA and turn left at the light to circle back through neersville. Or take 340 into Martinsburg hop on 81 to 70 and over. Trying to turn onto or off of chestnuts Hill road between the bridges sucks as well. All this being said if you don't mind slowing down and sitting in traffic listening to music the scenery is great and in the fall when all the leaves are changing and the rivers just starting to cool off there's no better time to roll with the windows down and just cruise. As for driving with a manual all the vehicles I've driven that have had them have been fine in stop and go traffic. My favorite though has been my buddies dodge (as I'm looking at an nv4500 and he said I could get a feel for how they shift) where I got stuck on the Maryland side of the bridges. Didn't have a problem with that truck or any other in stop and go traffic.
Neersville.... definitely not something I ever thought I’d see on an online forum from anyone other than myself. Called that place home for nearly 20. I grew up on the 671 side of Sagle Rd. My grandfather was responsible for changing the name of the Road from Neersville Rd to Sagle Rd after the family that owned and farmed a big plot if land that he later partially purchased. It will always be home. My mom lives in Kearneysville now but my dad still lives up off of route 9 on Shady Lane just passed Sweet Springs Store right before you cross in to WV. I miss that place a lot. although, I think I’ll keep my guns. It’s sad to see some of the changes going on in the northern part of the state.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #84
Jeff's bowtie's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
Neersville.... definitely not something I ever thought I’d see on an online forum from anyone other than myself. Called that place home for nearly 20. I grew up on the 671 side of Sagle Rd. My grandfather was responsible for changing the name of the Road from Neersville Rd to Sagle Rd after the family that owned and farmed a big plot if land that he later partially purchased. It will always be home. My mom lives in Kearneysville now but my dad still lives up off of route 9 on Shady Lane just passed Sweet Springs Store right before you cross in to WV. I miss that place a lot. although, I think I’ll keep my guns. It’s sad to see some of the changes going on in the northern part of the state.
Hey I know where that place is!!!
Jeff's bowtie's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #85
LuckyScott

I gotta admit, that 700R4 trans is a joy to drive. The truck is so much nicer now and I find I drive it more. I still have the old trans, clutch, flywheel, bell housing, and crossmember if anybody needs it. But Im sold on the auto.
I also did a factory tilt column from Randy here on this forum and it is really nice.
The only bad side of the whole project is that since the truck is so nice to drive I am already planning on new carpet and fixing up the interior.
LuckyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #86
68panelman

Harper's ferry train derailment this morning, sorry for the crappy pic
Attached Images

68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #87
Stephen717

I was there getting pics of that this morning 68panelman. Thankfully no one was injured. Still trying to figure out what happened though
Old 12-21-2019, 03:02 PM   #88
weim55

Quote:
I was there getting pics of that this morning 68panelman. Thankfully no one was injured. Still trying to figure out what happened though
Hmmmm, must have been someone in an old truck ( probably a Ford or Dodge ) stuck on the tracks because the column shifter for the manual transmission was jammed between gears.....

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #89
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff's bowtie's View Post
Hey I know where that place is!!!
Yes sir buddy you know the exact place on Sagle road as a matter of fact! Hope life is treating you good Jeff! Merry Christmas!

Dad sent me pictures he took of the de-rail this morning. Glad no one was hurt. Hope they have the pedestrian bridge fixed by the time we come back in May.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:12 PM   #90
special-K
Special Order

I went both ways through there today, on my way to Woodstock, VA. It was about 6 am when heading west and maybe around noon coming back. It was jammed up for being mid-day in winter on Saturday. I commented that it was a scenic place to get jammed up. We noticed a good many cars pulled over along 340 where they now have it marked no parking. We let people out of Chestnut Hill Rd. to, because the mindless masses weren't. Why not let them in? We had no problem catching back up to the jam. But I commented to my buddy "They even have the train on the bridge to look at including a couple CSX engines. I didn't notice the derailed cars. Dang, I saw it and didn't even know.

Tim

Old 12-21-2019, 10:39 PM   #91
C10 - C90 Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyScott View Post
Do some people like these old trannys ?
Late to post, but Yes.

I only have a 3-Speed in my '72 C-10, but wish it was a 4-Speed like you have. I have other trucks with them, but they are not on the road yet. I've been shifting gears for over 50 years now and have no plans of stopping, lol.

Traffic, can't say I enjoy it, but it would never be enough to make me give it up.

I've actually switched 2 cars from Autos to Manuals.
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:21 PM   #92
Jeff's bowtie's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
Yes sir buddy you know the exact place on Sagle road as a matter of fact! Hope life is treating you good Jeff! Merry Christmas!

Dad sent me pictures he took of the de-rail this morning. Glad no one was hurt. Hope they have the pedestrian bridge fixed by the time we come back in May.
We are good the wife just got out of the hospital last Tuesday she had bilateral pneumonia and was infor 17 days but she’s home now doing well (that’s nothing to fool with after having a heart and double lung transplant last year) hope you and the family have a Merry Christmas 🎄🎁 as well
Jeff's bowtie's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:49 AM   #93
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Still trying to figure out what happened though
That's the news we never get. Just an exaggerated report on something sensational happening they know will get people watching their program, then none of the follow up with actual useful information. The very short article I read on it that evening said, "Several cars went into the river". Do you see several cars in the river?

Tim

Old 12-25-2019, 02:35 AM   #94
Stephen717

There were 2 empty grain cars in the river and a third hanging from the 5th car (which remained mostly on the tracks). But I don't want to derail this conversation from it's original topic any more than I already have.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:30 AM   #95
TwoFiftyShifter

I use my 82 K10 with the 465 as my 2nd vehicle. It's not very good in traffic, automatics are better and this truck with 2 73 gears. No OD needed though. The gaps are large but its neat to shift 1-4 and 4-1 with no clutch. "Floating" Just dont be in a hurry.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:08 AM   #96
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
There were 2 empty grain cars in the river and a third hanging from the 5th car (which remained mostly on the tracks). But I don't want to derail this conversation from it's original topic any more than I already have.
Good pun. I was in that traffic jam, which is the area I brought up as one I have hit in my manual shift trucks with nary a thought of wishing I had an automatic. But like you said, that's three (a few) railroad cars off the track and only really one "in the river". You could stretch that to two (a couple) since part of a second one was in the water. That is not "several". News reporting is a drama show more than informative is my point

Tim