The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2018, 05:47 PM   #26
Caustik

Re: In the Red 69 GMC

Rerouted the harness, moved everything from over the intake to enter from the back, PCM will go into the cab. still waiting on a trans to finnish that portion of the harness.

Hopeing this radiator will clear the hood, I don't want to buy another one, and the 4 core I have will not fit. also running a SBC shroud with a Grand cherokee electric fan. fits pretty good.

Purchased the goatbuilt York bracket. over all fit is good, but the compressor sits pretty close to the oil cap.

Caustik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:35 AM   #27
Caustik

Batch update

Cleaned and painted the front half of the frame, bent up brake lines routed battery cables and air lines.

Manifold arrived thanks to a good friend.

Started work on the bed floor, not that there is much bed left in this.

Set the cab back down, sketchy

Bulk head grommet is from an 08 Civic my boss was scrapping, works ok.

PCM location

I am glad I took the time to clean up the engine harness, its still not pretty but its better than it would have looked.

Slapped on some sheet metal for some turning checks with the power steering hooked up, had the cooling system bleeding any way so seemed like a good time.

Empty bags I am content.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:40 AM   #28
Caustik

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ZV...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Sa...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #29
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

How big was the hole you had to cut in the firewall to get your wires through for the PCM? I'm trying to decide the best location for mine. I would like to have it on the radiator support, but not sure how to get the wires that far.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #30
Caustik

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
How big was the hole you had to cut in the firewall to get your wires through for the PCM? I'm trying to decide the best location for mine. I would like to have it on the radiator support, but not sure how to get the wires that far.
It was about 3" if you bundled the wires better than I did I think 2.5" would work.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:11 AM   #31
Caustik

Got all the legalities sorted, lights functioning, seat belts, tagged and insured. shook it down locally tweaked some things, aligned it and shook it down again. put 200 miles on it over the weekend, started tuning the pcm, and ran out of fuel . so roughly 10mpg.

I need to have the rear section of my 2 piece shaft lengthened, and a double cardan setup added. right now I have my ride height set where it doesn't have vibration. Overall I am happy, it rides well not to firm and not to soft, the engine has more than enough go for the cruiser I wanted, just need to fine tune it and help those mpgs some. Cruises straight and smooth, no pulling, darting, or shimmying.

Its nice to get to drive it even if its only for a little bit befoer winter comes and I tuck it back in the garage and try and knock out some more body work.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:13 PM   #32
Caustik

Crossed the 1000 mile mark, all is well, had to calibrate the MAF, but it has helped substantially. Its fun to drive, and relaxing to cruise, the list of mechanical things that needs attention is a few lines longer now.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #33
DEADMAN01

man your build looks killer!! your doing awesome work
DEADMAN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:20 AM   #34
Caustik

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADMAN01 View Post
man your build looks killer!! your doing awesome work
Thanks, its been a bit of a learning experience.

adn Pulled the bed off to fix the fuel sending unit issue, tidy some wires, and slop on some paint to keep it from rotting away. also fixed the pinion seal after the photo. Also redid the upper link tabs on the axle and corrected my pinion angle, no more vibrations at any height.

Did the cab corners, they came out ok.

Added a Tach to the cluster, still need to replace the LED's to match.

I have also adjusted the shifter linkage so it sweeps the whole indicator, park is off the scale but reverse neutral and drive line up, so its good enough for a driver. I have a new Holly pan waiting to go on from the wife, some billet adjuster sleeves that will actually fit the tie rods propperly, one hole left to patch in the passenger floor board, and a whole lot of trim holes to fill in. The current goal is to get the bed floor lowered a couple inches, sort out the hatch for it, and get it ready to drive to Arkansas for my vacation in May.

Additionally on the side for an "eventually" thing, I have been playing with some Circuit board designs, for any one who does this professionally I commend you, because this isn't all that fun, and more so of a headache. I came across a picture on google, and liked the idea, so I borrowed the basic design and started to cobble something up.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:00 PM   #35
Caustik

Shenanigans
Old 12-24-2019, 09:49 PM   #36
Caustik

Been driving it all summer, put 11,000 miles on it this year. Drove it from Colorado to Arkansas and back for vacation. It did well no drama other than running out of fuel once.

Now I'm moving to something else I have wanted to do, not something every one will like, and I expect some flack.

Somewhere in Kansas

Cruising in Little Rock,AR

Just a picture I liked from a friend.

Currently I'm working on a wide body, decided to run a 20x12 -51 wwith a 345/25r20. I have always been a fan of wide bodies and figured its only sheet metal, I have to at least try it.

Old 12-25-2019, 10:53 AM   #37
slimjim66

this is cool, im along for the ride
slimjim66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:01 AM   #38
Caustik

cut and tacked the passenger side, pulled the bedsides for now, and got to drive it for the fuel station. Much needed motivational quick rip.

Also stepped to a 345-25/20 much better fit on the wheels.

Been working on brake stuff in my down time at work, the curent plan is to run 06-10 SRT8 jeep Brembo setup up front, that will give 14" rotors and 4 pots, Was going to run the XTS calipers, but they are too small for the 14" rotor. the Jeep stuff is a 5x5 pattern, with a 71mm hub hole so the hub had to be turned down to fit. I'm probably going to put the XTS calipers out back with some smaller rotors, probably a 12".
Old 01-27-2020, 01:09 PM   #39
raggedjim

Damn, that thing looks wicked from the front!

Nice work, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:01 AM   #40
Caustik

its alot closer, but still a ways to go.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:05 PM   #41
James K

That is cool.
James K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:52 PM   #42
ca180
tryin to get laid

Yeah, I'm resurrecting this thread. Your truck was the background on my phone forever. Never knew where to find more about it until I stumbled on this! Still have it?
ca180 is offline   Reply With Quote