The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2016, 09:07 PM   #1501
murd969

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Everything is looking good.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:10 PM   #1502
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
He has some cool projects in his shop. The 57 looks like a serious hp build. The rear C notch doesn't leave much frame wall for strength.
Yeah, you're right. That C notch is severe. I'm sure it's internally gusseted. Mike doesn't do anything I've seen slipshod. I'll ask next I see him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Dan, did you get that truck for your new DD?
Yes, I did. A 2014 GMC 2500 Denali. It's just like my '08 Chevy 3500 LTZ crew dually but so much quieter, smoother, has more power and even gets better mileage. (It also gets dirty faster!)

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:58 PM   #1503
BIGglaSS

I'm no engineer, but those top tubes are carrying most of the load.
BIGglaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:35 PM   #1504
Dan in Pasadena

October 28, 2016

The Tanks Inc. large capacity generic Mustang style tank was installed, the Corvette regulator mounted and lines bent this week.

The steering column to rack connection was finalized this week also. I'm using polished parts. The engine mounts had only been tacked which turned out to be a good thing as the engine had to be shifted slightly forward for final clearance.

And finally, Fedex dropped off the Vintage Air AC kit while I was there this afternoon. So tht will be the main effort this coming week.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 10-28-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:10 PM   #1505
Dan in Pasadena

To Do List:

October 28, 2016

The Tanks Inc. large capacity generic Mustang style tank was installed, the Corvette regulator mounted and lines bent this week.

The steering column to rack connection was finalized this week also. I'm using polished parts. The engine mounts had only been tacked which turned out to be a good thing as the engine had to be shifted slightly forward for final clearance.

And finally, Fedex dropped off the Vintage Air AC kit while I was there this afternoon. So that will be the main effort this coming week.

I've gotta get the trans cover to verify there's clearence.

I've asked Mike to install a square tube or bar INTO the cab B pillar to serve as reinforcement for the shoulder belt mount. - If anyone has a photo of the interior of the B pillar I'd love to see it. I know its layers of folded sheet metal but not sure what space is available in there for a tube or bar?

There needs to be some kind of work done on the inner fenders to finish off the appearance of the cut outs for the A arms.

Mike will fabricate a radiator/core support cover from aluminum that will be polished later.

That's about it. Then the entire frame will be torn down for sandblast and powder coat. The chassis will be re-assembled, the body returned to the paint shop. Then the body will be re-mounted and the whole truck returned to Mike for final electrical and trouble shooting.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:05 AM   #1506
Kim57

Looks real nice.
Kim
Old 10-29-2016, 01:41 AM   #1507
Nut Case

Dam!!! you're rocking and rolling.

This is fandamtastic.

Quality of work look super.

Keep on keepin on

NC

Old 10-29-2016, 05:18 AM   #1508
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

It's looking great Dan!!!

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #1509
BIGglaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
- If anyone has a photo of the interior of the B pillar I'd love to see it. I know its layers of folded sheet metal but not sure what space is available in there for a tube or bar?
Dan, that is the plan for me as well. I'm going to weld a 1/2" grade 8 flange nut to the backside of 3/16" flat bar, and fish it up the B pillar. Here is a picture of one that I found on the net... Don't remember where I found this to give credit... I don't like to post others' pictures from the internet.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:32 AM   #1510
Dan in Pasadena

Biglass,
Thanks so much for the photo. I stuck my hand up the pillar as far as i could and it seemed very tight. 3/16 flat bar MIGHT fit in the space; i was thinking more like 1/8" max, but definitely not with a nut of any kind welded on it. At least not on my cab. I only felt the driver's side but I assume both sides are the same.

This is why i told Mike to cut into the pillar to expose the inner layers of sheet metal and to fab a 1/2 tube or bar with nut and weld it to all possible sheet metal layers. It definitely won't be as strong as a modern car and if a hard hit will deform the pillar, but if it keeps my face from meeting the steering wheel, I'll be satisfied.

Anyone know the dimension from floor to shoulder belt bolt for 5'-10" person using the factory bench seat?

Old 10-30-2016, 12:49 AM   #1511
BIGglaSS

Dan, if you stuck your hand up there already, that is farther than I have investigated. Thanks for pointing out that 3/16 plus a nut may not fit. I would have already cut, shaped, and welded it before figuring out it wouldn't fit. Here is a picture from another member here that cut it open and welded shut. Post #143
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=648712&page=6
Oh, and check post#81 for another pic inside the B pillar
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=648712&page=4

I find my daily driver belt height comfortable. I measured off of that and came up with approx middle of the window. I'm also 5'10".
Old 11-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #1512
Dan in Pasadena

November 1, 2016

Stopped by the shop today to drop off the factory 4 speed transmission cover I picked up from the Car and Truck Shop. It fits like a glove, just enough clearence over the 4l85e trans.

The Vintage Air under dash unit was installed today. The factory under dash bracket was removed/modified with weld-on studs so there will be no bolts through the firewall. I want the firewall clean but it looks like we may have to have the heater & AC bulkhead be visible. I'd wanted to put it so the hoses penetrate through inside the wheel well, but that seems to be too tight.

If anyone else has pulled this off so the hoses don't show in the engine compartment at all and has pictures, please post them!

Old 11-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #1513
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Ah Dan, your "Oldtimers" must be kicking in! Check out page 13 and up in my build thread!!

Old 11-02-2016, 10:52 AM   #1514
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
Ah Dan, your "Oldtimers" must be kicking in! Check out page 13 and up in my build thread!!

Sometimes I DO have Old Timer's, a lot more often than I admit - ugh.

I copied/sent several of your line routing pictures to Mike just now. I think the problem isn't so much where to put the bulkhead fittings but whether there is enough room between the unit and the inside of the firewall to allow the lines to turn 90* coming out of the unit and not rub. Remember, your unit is a little different (I assume) than mine because I still have a stock dash. Any thoughts on that?

Old 11-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #1515
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

The units are slightly different, but you should have more space as my dash is a little closer than the stock dash.

It was a lot of work to make all of the lines, but I like how they are hidden from view.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:15 PM   #1516
Dan in Pasadena

JJ,
Your timing is great. I JUST got off the phone with Mike after sending him your photos. He said he can do the lines as you have done them though he will have to use hard fittings at the bends obviously. He says it'll be close but won't rub. He said the two lower lines will show a little in the cab from the passenger seat but we'll have those powder coated black to minimize their appearance. Thanks again for the help!

Old 11-02-2016, 05:53 PM   #1517
Dan in Pasadena

November 1, 2016

The Vintage Air under dash unit is in. It's tight in there....basically about a 3/4" deep glove box now. Just big enough for, well.....gloves!

The driver side C notch went in today. The other was about to go in as I left. I've asked Mike about reinforcing the top flange of the frame. He already did that on the '57 frame - the twin turbo truck that has 1000 hp. But that truck has extensive other reinforcement and is fully boxed. My 6.0 is totally stock but I'd still feel better with reinforcement. Opinions? By the way, the internal boxing plate runs all the way back to the shock cross bar and forward about 6".

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 11-02-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #1518
Advanced Design

Here is one interesting thread on C notch strength...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=457037
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #1519
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks. I've read that post before. It's partially why I want more reinforcement. You CAN have too little, but you CAN'T have too much!

Old 11-02-2016, 09:04 PM   #1520
Kim57

Looking good.
That Vintage air unit sure is tight.
Hope i have enough room under my dash when I get to that point.
Kim
Old 11-03-2016, 04:27 AM   #1521
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Dan, that is the same VA unit as mine.

More re-enforcement the better!!

Old 11-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #1522
Flysocal

I don't think thats the smallest Vintage Air unit. I Called VA asking if they recommend the mini and they told me to go with the largest unit that will fit. I overruled them and went with the mini anyway. Just enough room for their glove box plus a stereo receiver. We shall see....
Flysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:10 PM   #1523
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
Dan, that is the same VA unit as mine.

More re-enforcement the better!!

Agreed. This is what he did without me knowing about it. When I texted him that I wanted him to add reinforcement, he already had - excellent. I continue to be happy with Mike's work.

It's not fully welded out here but you can see that he boxed the frame and added reinforcement above making a deeper section. He doesnt have the bed so he can't verify how much room he has to add material yet.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:41 PM   #1524
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysocal View Post
I don't think thats the smallest Vintage Air unit. I Called VA asking if they recommend the mini and they told me to go with the largest unit that will fit. I overruled them and went with the mini anyway. Just enough room for their glove box plus a stereo receiver. We shall see....
No, it's not the smallest. Those "mini" ones are as you said.

This is a Gen IV yakety-yak-whatever-name that's supposedly made for the '55-'59 Chevy trucks (don't have the receipt in front of me). But as JJ said above, it's the same as the one he was sold for his '57 with an Impala dash. I'm guessing they SAY it's specifically for this or that vehicle but really, theysize them to fit in a lot of vehicles with minor mods.

As long as it works reliably I'll be happy with it. What I'm NOT happy with is the dash vents they sell for our TF trucks. They want over $200 EACH(!!) for them. I didn't go for that. I'm already spending money like a drunk sailor on this truck - at least for my budget - so we're going to try to adapt the '55-'57 Chevy car vents to the contour of my dash.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #1525
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
No, it's not the smallest. Those "mini" ones are as you said.

This is a Gen IV yakety-yak-whatever-name that's supposedly made for the '55-'59 Chevy trucks (don't have the receipt in front of me). But as JJ said above, it's the same as the one he was sold for his '57 with an Impala dash. I'm guessing they SAY it's specifically for this or that vehicle but really, theysize them to fit in a lot of vehicles with minor mods.

As long as it works reliably I'll be happy with it. What I'm NOT happy with is the dash vents they sell for our TF trucks. They want over $200 EACH(!!) for them. I didn't go for that. I'm already spending money like a drunk sailor on this truck - at least for my budget - so we're going to try to adapt the '55-'57 Chevy car vents to the contour of my dash.
Man I can relate Danny!!!! ---- for the vents you should do some research, there are so many aftermarket makers out there now its redic! --- or just go junk yarding and get some new car vents and make them work. Theres alot of 2014+, corvettes, camaros, malibus, trucks that people love to wreck! I got my seats out of a 2015 Camaro SS, perfect condition, electric, heat, air bags.... $350 for a pair!