The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2000, 05:55 PM   #1
Blue'66

Frame Shortening on a '50 1-1/2 ton?

Just bought the above mentioned truck. Pretty solid, running condition, has a flatbed on the back that supposedly used to dump. The flatbed is about 11 feet long. What I want to do is shorten the truck and put on a 8 or 9 foot dump body. Does anybody have any ideas on what is the best way to go about this? A buddy of mine says to move the rear axle + springs forward, and chop off the excess frame. Only problem with that idea is loosing the slight notch out for the rear axle. Is is possible to cut the frame, and re-weld it together. I was kicking around the idea of cutting the frame in a way that it could fit back together, like notching it, weld that seem, and fishplating over it to strengthen it.

I've never done a frame shortening before, and any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks all
'65 3/4 ton 4x4
'70 C-10
All drivers, no show trucks.
Blue'66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 09:05 AM   #2
wolmic

I have a friend that did this on his 51 3/4 ton. He just lopped off the frame right behind the cab. Then you need to get a piece of steel(at least as thick as the frame) bent to fit the inside of the frame rail(basically a 6-8 inch piece of smaller frame). Weld around the whole piece. This will give plenty of strength and still have plenty of flex. Some articles I have seen doing this also suggest making a Z cut in the frame instead of a strait cut. I guess thats so when welded back it is stronger in their opinion. I don't think it makes that much difference.

------------------
54 GMC