The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #26
1project2many

Re: engine selection help

Quote:
so, just to be clear, guyz55, do you have a sbc in the truck or you just have the engine block etc and want to do a swap at some point?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...88&postcount=1

1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #27
1project2many

Quote:
if it was me,and I was starting from scratch, I would buy a good wreck and put an ls in it, or an ogre engine. something with fuel injection.
EFI is the best route for more time driving and less time wrenching. I've had it in my truck since '94. I would argue against most newbies starting an EFI swap with a late OBDII equipped donor vehicle without understanding what it takes to see the project through to completion. I've helped enough people with this type of project and I know it can be very, very intimidating for folks who are not wiring and computer savvy. The simplest EFI conversion would involve a complete package including controller, wiring, etc. Simplest using OEM parts from a donor vehicle would be TBI and an early to mid-'90s control system. As more features are implemented in the engine control system the complexity increases and so does the need to pay out for a custom calibration. Disabling security, removing or disabling BCM and IPC codes, removing auto trans codes or disabling auto trans control, altering cat converter protection, disabling or altering electronic throttle control, disabling ABS and ATC functions, disabling EVAP tests and codes, converting or configuring returnless fuel system, including or deleting cruise, a/c, and other accessories are all potentially necessary to keep a swap simple. The only way to skip this maze is to consider how to make an old truck look like a new truck to the controller: implementing pre- and post- catalyst O2 sensors, EVAP pressure and flow sensors, purge and vent solenoids, serial and CAN bus communications and accompanying modules. For most folks it's not a trivial job to do correctly. Once the engine is in and running, folks including myself tend to forget the hours spent tracking down the smallest detail, hunting through wiring diagrams, pinouts, trouble code charts, and system descriptions for multiple vehicles trying finding exactly the right answer to a specific question. But when you're spending your time in the garage with wires and plumbing stretched around you and notes and diagrams everywhere, watching spring roll into summer, it's easy to get frustrated with the size of the job.

"An LS swap is the best! It's easy! Buy a donor truck!" I won't argue those claims, but I have a few good stories that can illustrate how a few simple, wrong decisions can make the statements untrue. The Ogre solution, though it costs more, is the closest to plug-n-play. The late model donor option, although it carries a bunch of cool factor, also comes with substantially more work.

Last edited by 1project2many; 03-08-2017 at 09:53 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #28
dsraven

check out the ramjet engine if you want the older small block configuration. it is a plug and play fuel injected engine. you still need some accesories though. if you have a small block in the truck you likely have what you need. I don't know the price but compared to a carbed engine i would do this option first if going smaal block.
there is also the ls crate engine supplied with controller so it is almost a plug and play.
I am a mechanic so maybe the wiring is easier for me than most but, really, carbed stuff is not on my list anymore. neither is something with no cats. really starting to hate that old unburned fuel smell out the pipes and all the tuning issues. even when I get behind a carbed car on the highway, I will pass it just because of the smell inside my car from their exhaust. injection is way more maintenance free from my point of view. new vehicles are rated for over 100k before even changing the spark plugs. no more distributor issues etc etc.I get it, some guys grew up around carbs and to them they are easier because they know a bit about them. for me, I will go injection and be driving my car while the others are tinkering and spending money on tune up parts and hans cleaner.

just me talking. make up your own mind, but be aware of the costs and time before you pull the trigger and what you will end up with in the end. go to a few rod and tune shops and ask questions. get some estimates to install both styles of engines into your truck. the detailed list will give you some insight into what you will need.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:05 PM   #29
Hampshire

Quote:
"An LS swap is the best! It's easy! Buy a donor truck!" I won't argue those claims, but I have a few good stories that can illustrate how a few simple, wrong decisions can make the statements untrue. The Ogre solution, though it costs more, is the closest to plug-n-play. The late model donor option, although it carries a bunch of cool factor, also comes with substantially more work.
I chimed in earlier & after seeing many posts, I'll say x 2 to the above...

...on Speedbumpauto's post...that's about right for cost.

Were I to do it again, I would do something like Ogre's & dsraven's suggested ramjet solutions (efficient & cool looking) or maybe another first gen SBC similar to the one I have (very happy). Unfortunately, I'm too old to get my head around the looks of LS engines (sorry)...but I do respect that they have a dedicated following here...

Last edited by Hampshire; 03-09-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Hampshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #30
dsraven

if you are stuck on a carbed engine they make the stuff for an LS engine to run a carb. if you change your mind it would be easily swapped back to injection.
just saying, one more option.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #31
abig84

ive always liked the vortec swaps. as a mechanic they are such easy motors to work on. i personally am going with a early 90s TBI 350, just cause i already have the motor laying around
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:46 PM   #32
Kartch1

Have you considered an LM7 with a carb? MSD makes a stand alone ignition system for these engines. There's a ton of them around and they make good power. You can adapt it to almost any transmission as well.
Kartch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #33
Guyz55

Ok so here is the scenario ...I bought the truck 4/16 w a SB in it..Drove it every day til 11/16..pulled the front clip and bed off to work on what I would consider a prestine frame ...there is no rust or rot at all ...I consider myself extremely lucky that the frame and body are in excellent shape. So I want to bring the truck into the 21st century . 1) Im a hot rodder at heart and I do want the truck to "preform..2) the truck will be going to my grandson when its time so I want to upgrade everything .

With help , I /we just completed a total brake upgrade front disc , rear drum , firewall mounted booster etc .

As you all know once you get started on something like this its hard to stop .. I will peck away at the stuff I can handle , rustproffing the frame, sound proofing ,but will be saving up for the motor ,trans wiring,gas tank, wheels and tires etc...

So whatever motor I decide on will probably be new

I really appreciate all the help I get here ,,,as ive said before , I am not a mechanic , but I have found one that will let me do the work while he looks on ...which is great!!!!

I post my progress and you can bet I will be asking questions

Thank you all !!!!!
Guyz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:18 PM   #34
dsraven

if you have all the stuff for a sbc then I would really consider keeping that scenario, to keep costs down, but upgrading to fuel injection, which may cost a few bucks.the good is that all the mounts, manifolds, rad hoses etc will fit. you may have to fab up some throttle control and fuel tank pump stuff. mostly stuff a backyard mechanic could figure out.
check out the GM performance guys and see what comes with the crate engine, go from there.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #35
my56chevytruck

OK, I've read all the posts so I'll chime in with my .02 worth. My truck came to me with a 283/327 convervsion and it ran like a scared rabbit. the owner took me for a drive and said, hold on and screeeeeeeeeeeech away went. Very impressive huh? So I trailered this beauty all the way from Georgia to Indiana and shortly thereafter I sold the 283. I had already purchased a Gen VI 454 with the intentions of putting that into the truck, and I did. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for the upgrades, late model EFI's, etc. if that's YOUR choice. I'm here to tell you dependability and reliability can also be from maintenace of what you have. Clean gas, clean filters, etc. So you can tell Im' over 55 I guess.
Attached Images

Last edited by my56chevytruck; 03-12-2017 at 10:56 PM.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote