The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2017, 02:28 PM   #1
Hampshire

Antique Automoble Radio

Looking at this:

http://www.classiccarstereos.com/194...e-replica.html

I know they are pricey, but aside from that...the colors match my interior + being able to use my iPhone w/the bluetooth to steam music, etc.

Anyone have one or seen an install?
Hampshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: Antique Automoble Radio

not ogre...

unless your truck is a 100 point restoration your better off going with any single din head unit
single din will be around for years and can be had reasonably without breaking the bank

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:49 PM   #3
59chev

I was looking at the 55-59 Version for my build. I want to my truck to look old school. Out of all the radios made that fit the stock dash openings, in my opinion the Antique Automobile Radio are the only ones that look "right"

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133"]59 Apache - Lifelong obsession
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:44 PM   #4
mr48chev

Spendy but if you are going for the "original" look with the truck and don't want to hack up a nice dash it should work.

I'm changing the dash in mine this time and putting the dash out of the first car I ever owned in it so it won't work on this one but it might be a possibility on another truck we have

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:41 PM   #5
Dan in Pasadena

A decision on stereos is upcoming for me. I want what is in the dash to look original.

Mike, the builder is high on the Secretaudio systems. He's installed several. He claims the ones that fit in the dash are Chinese junk. I suspect anything I would buy is likely made in China! Besides I don't assume everything made in China is junk.

I'm actually not much of an audio buff but I do want AM/FM and would like to have the ability to plug in my iPhone. If I'm really dreaming of options I'd like to be able have Sirius/XM radio. Does anyone have any experience with those under seat speaker boxes? Good or sound crappy?

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:21 AM   #6
1project2many

This brand sounds like the brand that used to be available through JC Whitney in the '80s. They were very high priced but didn't really do what a similarly priced unit from a name brand would do.

I found an original, non-working radio and gutted it. I put the display and boards from a 90's GM receiver inside. The bass and treble sliders are underneath. The faceplate looks black until the display lights up.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:30 PM   #7
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
A decision on stereos is upcoming for me. I want what is in the dash to look original.

Mike, the builder is high on the Secretaudio systems. He's installed several. He claims the ones that fit in the dash are Chinese junk. I suspect anything I would buy is likely made in China! Besides I don't assume everything made in China is junk.

I'm actually not much of an audio buff but I do want AM/FM and would like to have the ability to plug in my iPhone. If I'm really dreaming of options I'd like to be able have Sirius/XM radio. Does anyone have any experience with those under seat speaker boxes? Good or sound crappy?
Check out a Retro Sound Apache. It's what I put in my truck and I like it. It perfectly fits the original dash and has the remote inputs which are on a separate panel that you mount where you want it. It also comes with a hand-held remote.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:02 PM   #8
Dan in Pasadena

Right now I'm leaning toward the SecretAudio with hands free remote and Bluetooth adapter - though my exhaust may be too loud to use the hands free phone unless I'm at a steady speed on the highway.

But I will also need to put something in the factory stock location and if I have the SecretAudio, I really only need a non-functional face portion of a stock radio. Besides, the stock radios take up too much room behind the dash and I need room for the AC.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:30 AM   #9
HO455
Post Whore

If you have an original you should look into this option. Talk to Gary and see how much room he needs and modify the housing. Lots of good reviews. I haven't got mine installed yet.

http://www.garytayman.com/stereo.htm
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:54 AM   #10
Dan in Pasadena

No, unfortunately I don't have an original radio. Also, these conversions looks as expensive or MORE more expensive than the Secret Aduio ones and don't offer as many features.

I suppose they'd be good for someone doing more of an original restoration but are a non-starter for my truck. Thanks for the info though.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #11
Russell Ashley

Dan, I have an original filler plate with the bow tie on it if you need it. I'll be happy to donate it to the project.

It does get busy under the dash with electric wipers, a/c, and the radio but it will fit. The new radios aren't actually that big.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote