The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
vectorit
What?

simple connections 68 burban

I am just stuck on some simple connections that I forgot how they originally went in...

1. The vacuum gauge on the gauge panel. How did that hose get routed, and what is the best type of tubing and fittings to use to ensure an air tight connection.
2. The fuel tank gauge wires. Originally mine were all butchered up, and was a huge rats nest. Now, being that I am using all new wire harnesses I am confused. On the burbn' was there a wire that ran from the sending unit all the way to the fuse block? Or was it wired into the rear tail light harness? I just ran the new rear wire harness, and after all the lights are connected I have an extra plug. Is this plug intended only for the license plate light, or is it shared with the plate light and the sending unit? The wire diagrams suck, and the resto shops don't sell this last little bit of harness.
3. The amperes gauge on the gauge panel. I can't seem to figure out how that sucker got wired... There are only two screw post type connectors on the back. Again my wire diagrams from all my collection of 68 truck books don't show anything helpfull.

Any input or better yet pictures would be great, since my ADD don't work to well when it comes to reading wire diagrams!

Thanks!
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
lks dcvn

Re: simple connections 68 burban

I have a blazer so that is where my input comes from...

Gas Gauge wire (tan) should run directly from the fuse panel to the sending unit on the tank - and then a ground should be from the sending unit to the body/frame in that area. This is a separate wire on every truck I have seen.

Extra wire on the taillight harness - you should have a wire to the license plate lamp - if you don't have one right now.

The amperes gauge - should be run off the wiring already present if you replaced it with new stock wiring - there are 2 bulbs in the headlight harness in the engine bay that house fuses - check those to see if they are still present and not blown. If you have a wiring kit (EZ, painless, etc.) then I have no idea how those would be.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
vectorit
What?

Re: simple connections 68 burban

Thanks, on that amp gauge does it get powered off of the printed circuit or does it have actual wires that run directly to it? I am cornfused since the gauge just has two screw posts with nuts, so if wires do go to it I should be lookin for wires with eyelet type connectors???
The wire harness is all original stye new from front to back.
I have new fuses in the the headlight harness as well.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote