The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2017, 10:17 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

U joints

I've got the driveshaft out on my 1960 suburban so I can replace the motor and tranny. While out, I'm trying to replace the ujoints, but the one between the yoke and the driveshaft won't come apart. It's the style that you have to heat up to get the 'plastic' worm to come out. I've done this and it still won't. I've tried a punch, heat, etc.... My fear is maybe rusted in, but it's been soaking for a few days.

Now the worst part is I think the yoke has some damage,are these common parts or not? I have no clue where to start looking as this truck came from factory with a 283 with 'drawing blank on transmission'. The truck had a 350 w/ turbo 350 trans. The ujoints don't seem to be what's listed in the catalogs, so I'm guessing not stock yoke.

Last time I recall doing this kind of ujoint wss on an old 92 burb we had and I recall fighting that as well, but managed to get them apart. That was 13yrs ago.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:22 PM   #2
MASTERBrian

Re: U joints

Update, well....I read more and watched a few more videos and finally decided to try more heat. This was the 3rd time for heating these things to where the rubber gaskets on them were on fire and burning off. Each time more crap did come out, but the most being the 1st time. I was sure everything had to be out, but apparently not. This last time, I laid it into the vise a and heated and heated and heated until things were smoking hot. While hot I decided to hit with the punch and metal hammer and things finally started to move and I finally got the darn thing out.

Good news is yoke is ok, i thought part of it was chipped, but it's fine. Never-the-less what might this be out of? I can't believe all transmissions use the same yoke. There is a part # I believe on the joint, so I'll just have the parts store start matching it up and I guess i just use the type with the inner clip on this joint.

One last question....sealed or grease-able joints? I've always bought the ones I could grease with the zerts on them, but one thread the poster said he's never had luck with the grease-able joints and only buys the sealed ones from Autozone. I tend to prefer O'Reilly or another local parts store.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:00 AM   #3
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Re: U joints

A quality drive shaft shop will answer your questions and sell you a quality non greaseable Spicer u joint.
Just give them what they need, diameter of the cup, and length. End

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote