The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
bharrison1

Are you guys as disappointed with 07 and up chevy trucks as i am?

I have always been into chevys but man between my 08 silverado and now my 09 tahoe these trucks are a let down my 08 ran like crap gas gauge didnt work right the blower motor would just come on randomly even when the truck wasnt running among other issues now my tahoe has the disintegrating dash and it takes forever to fill up with gas due to the evap problem are these common problems with you guys also??
bharrison1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: Are you guys as disappointed with 07 and up chevy trucks as i am?

No; I haven't experienced any of those.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:18 PM   #3
flashed

I dont have any that new so Im just reading and learning.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:45 PM   #4
bharrison1

on my 09 tahoe the rear passenger side window has the elements in the glass for defrost but it doesnt work when i run the rear defrost does anyone know anything about this issue?
Old 12-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
Keith Seymore

Both sides or one side only?

The reason I ask is you may be seeing the grid antenna, not a defroster grid.

Some models have a "diversity antenna", for OnStar and satellite radio, in the quarter glass. If that is the case then the grid should look different LH vs RH (or no grid in the opposite side).

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 12-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #6
bharrison1

One side only
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-28-2015, 11:40 PM   #7
GM-power

Just like any vehicle they have there share of issues. The dashes do seem to have a cracking issue on the earlier models. On the defrost I'm not sure, alot if the connectors seem to break off of the glass with the opening and closing of the glass. Do you know what evaporated code you have? Sounds like you need a evap vent solenoid, the ac delco ones have a updated design and require a jumper harness when installed. When it comes to fuel system OE parts are worth the extra $$. If you can pull codes out post up what you got. Hope this helps.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:13 AM   #8
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Actually, I've been very pleased with my '08. I didn't buy it until it had 142,000 miles on it, but it's done really well for me.

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:52 PM   #9
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrison1 View Post
One side only
Posted via Mobile Device
Yah - I don't think that's a defroster grid. There isn't a defroster in the side glass (back glass only).

K
1986 - 2019
Old 01-10-2016, 02:00 AM   #10
aotte1

2010 silverado, with 5.3 and 6 speed auto, short bed, really like it, no problems at 54K miles. Great driver. Especially like the 6 speed auto, with kick A... First gear. It gives Hemi chargers a run up to legal speeds.

Les
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #11
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotte1 View Post
2010 silverado, with 5.3 and 6 speed auto, short bed, really like it, no problems at 54K miles. Great driver. Especially like the 6 speed auto, with kick A... First gear. It gives Hemi chargers a run up to legal speeds.

Les
Just like the statement above. 2011 GMC SWB, lowered 5/7 and running a 5.3Kooks headers, Magnaflow dual exhaust, 6 speed auto and 3.42 gears. I have 140,000 miles on the truck and it runs pretty damn good,with an EFI Live tune on the engine and tranny. In cold weather the mileage drops off a little, but if driven responsibly I can put down 20 MPG on the highway.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM-power View Post
Just like any vehicle they have there share of issues. The dashes do seem to have a cracking issue on the earlier models.
That problem has not improved. Between my family, and my in-laws we have 6 late model GM trucks or SUVs. With the exception of my 2013 all of them have had the dash pad replaced.

Another issue these have are the exterior door handles are plastic and commonly break. I have replaced several of those. I quit buying GM handles, and tried aftermarket the last time. I paid 19.95 on Amazon for a GM replica and it looks great. Normally I would only buy GM parts, but I figure these cant be any words than the GM junk.

Power folding mirrors are another poor design. Again, between me and the in-laws we have replaced several.

My biggest peeve with this gen of GM trucks is the headlight design. On my wifes 2007 Denali you pulled a L shaped pin and the head light swung out for access to the bulbs. Freakin ingenious idea that made access to light bulb change so simple you could do a change in the auto parts parking lot.

Have you tried to change a headlight bulb in any 2007–2013 trucks? You better You Tube it before you get started. It is easily a 2 hour job and be assured you will be cussing GM design engineers about 15 minutes in.

If you have a headlight bulb go out, heres a couple of very valuable tips. First off, replace both low beams at the same time. You have already done 90% of the work getting to one, you should do the other at this time too. Three times now I have had the second one fail with in a very short period.

Another tip you might cringe at, but you will appreciate if you do have to do this twice. There is a long tab at the bottom of the headlight assembly that requires you to remove a portion of the fender liner to access. Once you loosen the bolt on that tab, grab the headlight firmly and twist and tug on it. This will snap that lower tab off. As much as I hate doing things like this, that tab is not necessary to hold the light assembly tight, and reduces the install time by 15-20 minutes.

Yep, I am disappointed in certain features of the 2007–2013 GM trucks. I hope they have been improved before I buy again.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:08 PM   #13
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
That problem has not improved. Between my family, and my in-laws we have 6 late model GM trucks or SUVs. With the exception of my 2013 all of them have had the dash pad replaced.

Another issue these have are the exterior door handles are plastic and commonly break. I have replaced several of those. I quit buying GM handles, and tried aftermarket the last time. I paid 19.95 on Amazon for a GM replica and it looks great. Normally I would only buy GM parts, but I figure these cant be any words than the GM junk.

Power folding mirrors are another poor design. Again, between me and the in-laws we have replaced several.

My biggest peeve with this gen of GM trucks is the headlight design. On my wifes 2007 Denali you pulled a L shaped pin and the head light swung out for access to the bulbs. Freakin ingenious idea that made access to light bulb change so simple you could do a change in the auto parts parking lot.

Have you tried to change a headlight bulb in any 2007–2013 trucks? You better You Tube it before you get started. It is easily a 2 hour job and be assured you will be cussing GM design engineers about 15 minutes in.

If you have a headlight bulb go out, heres a couple of very valuable tips. First off, replace both low beams at the same time. You have already done 90% of the work getting to one, you should do the other at this time too. Three times now I have had the second one fail with in a very short period.

Another tip you might cringe at, but you will appreciate if you do have to do this twice. There is a long tab at the bottom of the headlight assembly that requires you to remove a portion of the fender liner to access. Once you loosen the bolt on that tab, grab the headlight firmly and twist and tug on it. This will snap that lower tab off. As much as I hate doing things like this, that tab is not necessary to hold the light assembly tight, and reduces the install time by 15-20 minutes.

Yep, I am disappointed in certain features of the 2007–2013 GM trucks. I hope they have been improved before I buy again.
I know how you are changing bulbs, but on the driver's side, I take out the spare battery tray (10 bolts and an air ratchet, no problem) and take the bolt to the windshield washer tank out and change the bulbs. The passenger side, take out the air box for the engine and change the bulbs. Less time expended, than taking the truck fenders apart. The only thing that I don't like is the heater temp control motor and the rubber-band control associated with it.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:50 PM   #14
GM-power

^ I agree, takes me maybe 10 minutes to do both. I don't really care to own one, not because there crap but just cause there to new for me lol.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #15
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM-power View Post
^ I agree, takes me maybe 10 minutes to do both. I don't really care to own one, not because there crap but just cause there to new for me lol.
I am not sorry that I purchased mine. It is leaps and bounds over the 91 that I was driving on a daily basis. My plans are to keep it and upgrade the engine when it reaches a point of no return.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:31 PM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
I know how you are changing bulbs, but on the driver's side, I take out the spare battery tray (10 bolts and an air ratchet, no problem) and take the bolt to the windshield washer tank out and change the bulbs. The passenger side, take out the air box for the engine and change the bulbs. Less time expended, than taking the truck fenders apart. The only thing that I don't like is the heater temp control motor and the rubber-band control associated with it.
I dont pull the liner completely out, or pull the bumper cap. etc. Either way, it total BS that GM engineered such a common fail part to be a nightmare to replace when they had such a simple system before.

No worries though, my nest truck will have a new set of GM problems. I'm looking at the 15 or 16s already.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:44 PM   #17
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Either way, it total BS that GM engineered such a common fail part to be a nightmare to replace
Yep. That's how I felt replacing the bulbs on my wife's Acadia, too.

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #18
fun in dirt

Yes disappointed in that body style era! Know of several around '10 that had major motor internal issues before 70k miles. Our '07 (first yr of new style) was a really good truck mechanically but cheesy interior...seats very uncomfortable, plastic reclining handles stripped out, of course the cracked dash, & carpet worn in spot by throttle petal by 25k miles. New transmission at 150k; no motor issues & sold with 190k miles on it. But spent many months & several hundred dollars trying to get ck engine light & traction control lights off (made shift hard from 1 to 2 & that prob what eventually got trans)...all to eventually be corrected by new ground cable end. So we won't get another truck of that era; found a 2006 with 45k on it for our latest "new" truck!
'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:11 AM   #19
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Am I the only one who hates the square wheel-wells?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #20
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
Yes.

I really liked my 2013 Denali HD, and I *absolutely LOVE* my 2015 Denali HD. The new interiors are awesome....solid powertrain...good looks...smooth power delivery and good ride.

I do know that the 07-up tend to be rust buckets. I've seen so many with the wheel arches rotted out on truck less than 10 years old. That's my only gripe.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:04 PM   #21
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

I can't stand the 2007-2013 GMT900's. Ugly with very poor body and interior quality...powertrain is fine though. The 900's practically changed me to a RAM fan. Although, the new 2014+ K2XX trucks are much better than the 900's by leaps and bounds. When you look back the GMT900's were designed and launched during GM's darker broke days and it shows.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:19 AM   #22
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
That is why I purchased the GMC model and not the Chevrolet.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #23
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
That is why I purchased the GMC model and not the Chevrolet.
The GMCs have the squared off wheelwells now too. I don't mind.

2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:46 PM   #24
Willowrun

I've been very happy with mine. My only gripe is the cylinder deactivation.
Attached Images

Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:42 AM   #25
Bob B.

I work for a large utility fleet, and we liked the 900's, particularly the 2011-up HD's. In our 800 series GM trucks, we used to see the upholstery wear very quickly, instrument panel gauge failures, and lots of popped spot welds and sheet metal cracking in the cargo boxes when we mounted large tool boxes and other equipment. The 900's (base WT models) had better seats, no instrument panels problems, and the cargo boxes seem to be a lot stronger. Did notice the top horizontal part of the quarter panel (bed rails) to dent real easy though. 2011 up HD front suspension is the best in the business and the chassis is very strong. Interesting that the new HD's have the same chassis, suspension, and inner cargo box as the 2011-up HD's.

Don't get me started on our Super Duty's...........