The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
Caveman49

Mounting an engine crossmember in a 59?

Looking for some opinions, thoughts, whatever, on the following....
I'm using the bolt in engine crossmember on a stock 59 frame and would like to hear from you folks with the experience. First pic is of the 350 engine sitting on the crossmember, second pic is of the crossmember resting at the bottom of the inner frame (the position of crossmember with engine pic), and the third pic is with it in the center of the frame.
What I'd like to know is, which position would be the best to bolt it in, the bottom of the frame, or the center, or if it even matters? The only benefit I can see at this point for center frame, is it'll give me more clearance from the front frame where the harmonic pulley is located............thoughts, suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks, Lee

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Caveman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
55dude

Re: Mounting an engine crossmember in a 59?

looks like if it clears everything with it towards the top frame rail putting it there won't hurt a thing. i have seen lots of those swaps with notched front crossmembers and that is ok as long as it's notched and reinforced.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
GATORBUILT '59

When I originally had that exact crossmember, the first thing I noticed was the clearance issue with the crankshaft pulley. So I pulled it to the top of the rails.
GATORBUILT '59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
Caveman49

Thanks for the feedback guys, I believe I'll mount on the upper side like you did Gator. Makes sense, now to have at it
Old 12-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
GATORBUILT '59

Don't forget to use GRADE 8 bolt Hardware.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
Caveman49

You know Gator, I haven't even looked at the bolt grade on those that came with the crossmember. I imagine they should do the job. I got another suprise last night working on it. Pulled the front tire off to see how this thing was converted to a 5 lug, and it seems someone tapped and drilled the 6 lug hubs to make it work, wierd, never seen such a thing, I'll have to take some pics of this.....
I'm not real thrilled about that setup, so I'll probably convert to front disc on the stock suspension. I guess that'll call for a new master cylinder too.

Any recommendations for reasonable conversion kits? Anybody???

Thanks,
Lee
Old 12-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
56hotrodred

There are lots of good master brake cylinder conversion kits. It depends on where you want it - firewall or under the frame in stock position. International Chassis has a good one for firewall with a strong brace to mount under the dash that ties in with steering column and for a pedal and try Brothers, CPP or many others for frame kit. I am using the firewall but I have also changed my frame and have a complete brake system in the frame already.

Good luck.
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:58 PM   #8
Caveman49

Thanks for that info, I guess I should have mentioned keeping it in the stock location. I don't want to get too carried away with it.

I've seen some through LMC, Classic, and a couple others. They all seem to be close in pricing. I was hoping to avoid it, but it's better to have good brakes, especially when it gets pumped up a little with the 350. I have several El Camino parts cars (73-77), was wondering if the disks and callipers from one of them would work?
Old 12-05-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
GATORBUILT '59

Disc Brakes will require a brake booster due too the amount of pressure needed.
I used the CPP Brake system, no issues just that the brake pedal has a problem returning all the way to up position.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #10
Caveman49

I figured it would require a whole package, master cylinder, proportioning valve, and the disk kit. Guess I'm looking at somewhere around $500, hmmm.
Well I just hope that I won't have to mod anything else, but time will tell eh. Thanks Gator.

This is what's on the front right now, and I'm not real comfortable with the way it looks. It has a 5 lug 14" wheel on it, don't know how safe it is....
[/IMG]
Old 12-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #11
GATORBUILT '59

CAVEMAN,

I don't think a proportioning vavle will be needed. CPP sales Power brake Disc/Drum set-up. If you decide to go that route.