The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
1972 Banana

Lower door frame Question

I just recently repaired the door openings on my blazer, It has had a soft top since I purchased it 5+ years ago. found it had been hap hazardly repaired by the PO. I cut the old lower door frame out and found the torque boxes to be in great shape just the front pillar and back pillar were gone as well as part of the floor. The PO had used Bondo to fill in the floor and even covered the cab bolt. I cut all That out and replaced the cab front support and pillar. I also obtained a top and bolted it on before I stared to weld the floor back in.

here is the problem, when I went to weld in the lower outside rocker/door sill. I found this part to be 1/4 inch too short. There is a gap at each end. Is this normal for this piece to be too short? should I split it and add in a patch in the middle. I cant see where my dash moved fwd 1/4 inch. I am sure I can make it work, just know that there will be no stock door sills in my future!
Attached Images

1972 Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:38 PM   #2
-Greg72

Re: Lower door frame Question

I can't tell from that photo: Are you trying to do that repair with the outer rocker panel still attached???

The floor patch is supposed to connect to the inner rocker (vertical piece) then the outer rocker attaches to top of that to form the flange that holds the weatherstrip seal for the door.

-G

1972 K5 - 502BBC/4L80E/Magnum205/Mog-9s/5.26s/38" BFG KM2s

Find me on INSTAGRAM @MIGHTASWELLK5

'72 K5 - Greg's "Might As Well™" Build
-Greg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
hemi43

Reinstall your door before you start welding anything. If the door still fits, then stabilize the windshield header so that it can't while you weld. If you don't do it this way and rely on luck, you may have a can of worms on your hands.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:03 AM   #4
Walter White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 Banana View Post
I just recently repaired the door openings on my blazer, It has had a soft top since I purchased it 5+ years ago. found it had been hap hazardly repaired by the PO. I cut the old lower door frame out and found the torque boxes to be in great shape just the front pillar and back pillar were gone as well as part of the floor. The PO had used Bondo to fill in the floor and even covered the cab bolt. I cut all That out and replaced the cab front support and pillar. I also obtained a top and bolted it on before I stared to weld the floor back in.

here is the problem, when I went to weld in the lower outside rocker/door sill. I found this part to be 1/4 inch too short. There is a gap at each end. Is this normal for this piece to be too short? should I split it and add in a patch in the middle. I cant see where my dash moved fwd 1/4 inch. I am sure I can make it work, just know that there will be no stock door sills in my future!

i bought a 72 from a guy in your neck of the woods(walterboro) last year that has similar issues. he did the work on it himself and didn't properly brace things i suppose. i have a 1/2" gap between hardtop and top of bedside and panels not gapped right.
at his asking price i had to buy it but when i get around to repairing my 70, I'm going to be very particular about that. good luck with it--awesome truck
Walter White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:04 PM   #5
1972 Banana

Walter I did that as well as installed a hard top. I will make it work. Tried to attach some pics but wanted my URL! WTH, could not paste either.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #6
1972 Banana

Here are the pics of the end gaps, just do not know how the door openings ended up that big. I did not use a cab stretcher I swear!
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2016, 06:50 PM   #7
tjsblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
Reinstall your door before you start welding anything. If the door still fits, then stabilize the windshield header so that it can't while you weld. If you don't do it this way and rely on luck, you may have a can of worms on your hands.
I'm not a body guy but I agree with this. I think you need your Doors on as a reference to see what is going on.

'72 Blazer K5

"Camshaft opinions are like belly buttons; everyone has one and no two are alike"

My Blazer Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=626752

My Engine Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=637336
tjsblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #8
jaros44sr

You're picks are a little to close, could you pull back some

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote