The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2018, 08:56 AM   #1
whitedog76

Cadillac calipers

I’m curious if anyone has used Cadillac rear calipers on their ride. Are they good units, good stopping power, etc?

I have a Ford Explorer rear for my 54. It’s been sitting in the elements for a few years, so all the brake components will need replaced anyway. From a money standpoint, it’s about a wash converting to Eldo calipers vs. replacing a all the OE Ford stuff.

I’d kind of like to have vented discs vs. solid, not to mention I could move to a slightly larger rotor.

Any thoughts?
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: Cadillac calipers

I would look at redoing the ford stuff. the rear brakes don't do a lot of the stopping power on a light truck anyway so the time and money would be better spent on upgrading the front brakes. if you go too big on the rear you will just need to turn down the prop valve so you don't always have rear axle skid during braking or have the back end always want to pass the front end on brake applications. the ford park brake is also easy to connect and less hassle than the eldo stuff. I hear the eldo calipers can be a pain to get the auto adjusters assembled properly so the park brake works etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opjdu8DdVeA

I am sure you know the master cylinder is different for disc/disc that disc/drum.

just my opinion, not worth much but, you know, gotta give opinions
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:40 PM   #3
b-mac

You can buy slotted rotors for the 8.8 too (I assume it had discs) not that they do much.

Here's mine:
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
1project2many

I have not used Eldo calipers in a brake conversion but I have worked on cars with Eldorado calipers. Like any of the rear disc brake calipers with park brake linkage built in, they can have problems with seals leaking, linkage seizing, and poor operation due to improper adjustment. They stop as well as many of the GM front calipers since they are not much more than front calipers with a cable activated screw to actuate the pads when the park brake is applied. The best start on building a brake system that works is to match up front and rear caliper diameter to the amount of weight on front and rear axles. As said, too much braking in the rear causes rear wheel lockup. And in our trucks the driver doesn't always realize the truck is beginning to spin until it's well underway.

As far as rotor choices, most of us never need the cooling available with vented rotors. If you have a specific type of driving or are carrying heavy loads then you might see the advantage, but imo if your rear system works you might do just fine sticking with it.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #5
dsraven

another thing to consider for brake cooling is the style of wheel you use. some of the wheels being used these days don't lend much for air flow through the rim to assist with brake cooling. when the vehicle is really low to the ground there can also be less flow under the vehicle and the wheels can be tucked way up inside a fender etc. it depends on each individual scenario.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:29 PM   #6
mr48chev

The primary reason for using the Cad rear calipers is that they bolt right to the same brackets the fronts use and have the park brake. A lot of off road only 4x4 trucks run the rear disks with GM front calipers and the adjustable proportioning valve.

I'd stay with the Ford pieces and be done with it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:32 AM   #7
whitedog76

I’m planning on using 12” Sport Trac rotors on the front, so I was thinking, why not do the same on the rear? I know the simplest and easiest is to stick with all OE equipment.

I grew up working in my old man’s shop and later on in the 90’s I worked for another mechanic, before I changed careers. With that being said, I don’t believe I ever remember pulling apart a drum brake setup without the star adjuster being frozen, at least on one side. I don’t believe I ‘ve ever worked on Eldo calipers, but I do remember the Pontiac and other GM stuff being a PIA from the era. Not to mention I’ve pulled off a few calipers with frozen guide pins.

Anyhow, I’m not seeing an advantage either way when it comes to maintenance. I won’t be driving on salty roads, maybe an occasional shower. So, there may not be an issue at all.

Anyhow, I was just thinking outside the box, if you haven’t figured it out, I’m leaning towards Eldo calipers.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote