The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
Thebrownturd

Tuff country question

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2'' tuff country lift for my k20. I was wondering if a 3'' lift spring or a 2'' lift spring with a 1'' zero rate is better?

I ask since 4 wheel parts and summit offer a 3'' rear but, I haven't read of many people using it.

Also, I want to run ORD's HD front shackles and greasable bushings on all corners. Has anyone used them and if so were they worth the money? I live on a dirt road that gets maintained maybe twice a year. Anything I can do to stop squeaking and get a smother ride is worth it.

Last edited by Thebrownturd; 04-16-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Thebrownturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
snj8198

Re: Tuff country question

I'm running the 2" Tough Country EZ ride system on my longbox, front and rear springs. It rides fairly decent for an off the shelf system. I did end up using a 1" block in the rear to level the truck and an on-the-top over load spring kit to help with loads. For a long box, If I could do it again I would do the 3" rear springs. Actually, if someone made a shackle flip kit that netted a 3" lift for the rear I would stay with stock rear springs and add the shackle flip to the rear, then run 2" front springs. The truck would ride level and much smoother.

I don't have greaseable shackles currently but I will absolutely install them when I redo my suspension. They are great and I highly suggest them.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
sweetk30

good bang for the buck kit .

I have been running greasable ord bushing kits for years . also there hd shackle kit front .

I do know for the front in tuff country the hd springs are the same spring rate for 2 or 3" lift . . I am figuring out what I need for a build . that's how I know .

if you want the best info on tuff country and ord products just call ord up . they will talk with you 100% and get you the correct stuff the first time .

I should have stock at that company as much as I have gotten there over the years for mine and other peoples rigs .

to bad you weren't closer I have a brand new skyjacker soft ride all spring kit for sale . with gas shocks. its a almost 20year old kit been in storage for years . the front springs were to soft for my build up . k30/454/4l80/203-205 t-case and plow = not good . test fit less than 30 min time . hence why I am going tuff country 2 or 3" hd fronts.

its good you ask and don't just buy the cheep crap rough country stiff dump truck kit and ask later why its so stiff now.
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #4
Thebrownturd

Thanks guys I have read many good things about both tuff country and ORD products. The reason I was asking about 3" vs 2" is the wheel being centered in the well. I know some 4in will offset the wheel in the well an I was wondering if 3" would do the same. I seems that is you go 2" then use zero rate it will come out centered.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:23 AM   #5
Bigdav160

When I received my 2" kit the part number on the rear springs was the same part number for their 4" springs.

Still ended up running a small block under rear springs to level the truck out.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
Thebrownturd

I just wanted to confirm with everyone if the rear springs on a 70 K20 are 52" and not 56". I believe the longer springs came on later models. I also saw that ORD was offering the rear greasable bushings with 1-3/4" in the front or a 1-1/2" for the front mount. I believe that a 70 K20 should have 1-1/2 but the guy at ORD that I called said the 3/4 ton Chevys have 1-3/4 diameter eyelets in the front on the rear springs. Not sure if he was confused if my truck was a later model or something or if they actually are 1-3/4" . thanks in advance. Now that summer is here ill have a little more time on the weekends to work on my truck.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:29 PM   #7
BILT4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
good bang for the buck kit .

I have been running greasable ord bushing kits for years . also there hd shackle kit front .

I do know for the front in tuff country the hd springs are the same spring rate for 2 or 3" lift . . I am figuring out what I need for a build . that's how I know .

if you want the best info on tuff country and ord products just call ord up . they will talk with you 100% and get you the correct stuff the first time .

I should have stock at that company as much as I have gotten there over the years for mine and other peoples rigs .

to bad you weren't closer I have a brand new skyjacker soft ride all spring kit for sale . with gas shocks. its a almost 20year old kit been in storage for years . the front springs were to soft for my build up . k30/454/4l80/203-205 t-case and plow = not good . test fit less than 30 min time . hence why I am going tuff country 2 or 3" hd fronts.

its good you ask and don't just buy the cheep crap rough country stiff dump truck kit and ask later why its so stiff now.

Do you have more info on this kit and how much you want for it? We are building a 1970 GMC K2500 and are considering a lift. How much lift is it expected to be and what is the kit part number?