The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2006, 11:47 PM   #1
PBFAB.COM

"In Progress 55"

I had posted some pics of this truck on another thread and had some requests to see more. Oh, it's no longer "In Progress"
Attached Images

PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:00 AM   #2
CAL 58 GMC

Re: "In Progress 55"

Very Nice Truck!!! Can you post more pic's show inside and under the hood?

Last edited by CAL 58 GMC; 05-26-2006 at 12:02 AM.
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:15 AM   #3
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL 58 GMC
Very Nice Truck!!! Can you post more pic's show inside and under the hood?
As you wish
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2006, 01:04 AM   #4
Jebb1978

Man that thing is sick! Do you ever do any local shows? I have never seen it before.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:26 AM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

nicely done. its good to see more people in this forum now and sharing their ideas.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebb1978
Man that thing is sick! Do you ever do any local shows? I have never seen it before.

It was at Goodguy's last November and I took it to Scottsdale Pavilions once. Other than that it doesn't get out much. The owner lives in Utah and will not be taking delivery until mid-July. So, I plan on taking it to as many local shows before then as possible.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:11 AM   #7
Frizzle Fry

Top notch! I saw on your site that you have built a variety of vehicles. Are you focusing more on classic trucks now? How's the sectioned truck looking?

Last edited by Frizzle Fry; 05-26-2006 at 10:16 AM.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:39 AM   #8
72Chevrolet

holy crap, nice truck, one of the nicest ive seen for a while. Great work!
72Chevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:02 AM   #9
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry
Top notch! I saw on your site that you have built a variety of vehicles. Are you focusing more on classic trucks now? How's the sectioned truck looking?
Thanks for all the kind words. I am a truck guy myself... not everybody else is though and that's why we are doing a variety of builds. Beleive it or not we've even done some long-travel kits for Rhino's... bagged (shockwaves) of course! Our specialty is chassis and suspension design and fabrication. I also enjoy sheet metal and tube fab. work.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:38 PM   #10
Jebb1978

I suggest taking that truck out to 83rd ave and Beardsley some Saturday night. The crowd out there is growing and it is a completly different group from the Pavillions crowd. Lot's of cars I had never seen before! It is in a Safeway parking lot, I actually heard about it first on here and now I go there more than the Pavillions just because the crowd seems a lot more freindly. Sweet truck I hope to run into you in person some day and check it out up close.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:46 PM   #11
Apache

WOW thats a nice truck. I really like that color, and the striping on the dash is cool also.
58 Chevy LWB 235/4spd
76 Chevy Nova 350/TH350 4.88's *10kmiles on "new" engine
79 Chevy 4x4 SWB 350/4spd 3/4 ton
81 Mazda RX7
84 F@!d Mustang
96 F@!d Ranger 2.3L/5spd
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:16 PM   #12
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Porterbuilt

When you sectioned the cab where is the front cut done?
Old 05-26-2006, 07:07 PM   #13
Frizzle Fry

Porterbuilt knows better than I (I've only photo shoped it), but let me take a stab at it. The whole hood and grille moves down with the upper half of the cab. The front cut is verticle through the wheel arch which requires some reshaping. These pics show what I'm taking about:
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2006, 08:01 PM   #14
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Thanks for the pics I was able to see that on the orange truck but did realize they chopped the fenders as well. What I am looking for is where the cowl or firewall and/or the front door pillar was cut or if it wasn't what was to drop the front portion of the cab. I assume that you also section the doors.

I really like that look and want to do it to mine.

Last edited by dwcsr; 05-26-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:37 PM   #15
chevyrestoguy

Porterbuilt: Man, you do nice work! It's hard to build something and have everything flow nicely and work together, but you really nailed it.

Question: You said in one of your replies that you specialize in suspensions. I have a 1971 Camaro clip under my '55, and I was wondering what you thought of the Shockwave-type shock/bags. Are there any drawbacks? I'm not crazy about the price, but I have been seeing some copies that are substantially cheaper. I like my stuff low, but it's gotta ride decent.
________
Ford Cargo Specifications

Last edited by chevyrestoguy; 02-18-2011 at 10:54 AM.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:38 PM   #16
CAL 58 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL 58 GMC
Very Nice Truck!!! Can you post more pic's show inside and under the hood
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt
As you wish
That is the sickest 55 Chevy truck I have ever seen!!

Last edited by CAL 58 GMC; 05-26-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:33 AM   #17
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy
Porterbuilt: Man, you do nice work! It's hard to build something and have everything flow nicely and work together, but you really nailed it.

Question: You said in one of your replies that you specialize in suspensions. I have a 1971 Camaro clip under my '55, and I was wondering what you thought of the Shockwave-type shock/bags. Are there any drawbacks? I'm not crazy about the price, but I have been seeing some copies that are substantially cheaper. I like my stuff low, but it's gotta ride decent.
The only drawback to the Shockwaves is the price... they seem a little spendy, but this is definitely one item that holds true to the cliche "you get what you pay for". The other "imitations" that I have seen are inferior in my opinion.
I have done a few installs of Shockwaves in camaro/nova clips and was pleased with the result
Old 05-27-2006, 12:43 AM   #18
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr
Thanks for the pics I was able to see that on the orange truck but did realize they chopped the fenders as well. What I am looking for is where the cowl or firewall and/or the front door pillar was cut or if it wasn't what was to drop the front portion of the cab. I assume that you also section the doors.

I really like that look and want to do it to mine.
FrizzleFry has the right idea. The only difference is that I take two inches out of the fender between the wheel well and the body-line, and the other 1.5 out of the fender behind the well (between the tire and the cab on the bottom half of the fender). I think it looks a little off with the whole section removed between the body-line and the wheel well opening.
About the cut on the cab... it's top secret information, I can't tell you. So look closely at the pictures!
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2006, 10:42 AM   #19
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Very slick, it make perfect sense that way, far less metal to try to line up or fabricate. I wouldn't have thought of doing it like that. The only way you could successfully pull that off is with that internal sliding jig you have.

Thanks for the pics, nice work
Old 05-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #20
Frizzle Fry

Very nice! Thanks for posting this. I see how you got the rear of the wheelwell to line back up by moving that little triangle section forward. How do you get the front of the wheelwell to line up? Or is it just close enough that it can be tweaked in to shape and filled?

That thing has the potential to be the best looking truck...period (in my humble opinion). Can't wait to se more!
Old 05-27-2006, 12:38 PM   #21
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Beautiful!!!

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:05 PM   #22
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry
Very nice! Thanks for posting this. I see how you got the rear of the wheelwell to line back up by moving that little triangle section forward. How do you get the front of the wheelwell to line up? Or is it just close enough that it can be tweaked in to shape and filled?

That thing has the potential to be the best looking truck...period (in my humble opinion). Can't wait to se more!
The fender you see in the pic is just a mock up. I think I've gone through three or four front fenders until I found the way I liked it! Even on the final the front cut doesn't line up quite close enough to just "tweak and fill". I make a new piece that follows the arc all the way down and into the front lower body line.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:27 AM   #23
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

About the customer picking up later, dont tell me you finished the truck before he had all of his money? Gorgeous looking truck. You do gorgeous work. Have been following the build of the Blazer on that forum that you guys are doing for Kyle.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:23 AM   #24
chevyrestoguy

Porterbuilt: So if it came down to going with a Shockwave setup or a traditional bag setup on a clipped frame, what would you prefer? Cost is important, but not mandatory. I figure that if I could save money and divert the saved funds into another part of the build, then I'm money ahead. But if the Shockwave is better, than I'll definately spend the money there. I really like the way you did the '55, and it definately shows that you know what you're doing. Because of that, your opinion is very important to me.
________
Vaporizer

Last edited by chevyrestoguy; 02-18-2011 at 10:54 AM.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:32 PM   #25
CAL 58 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy
Porterbuilt: So if it came down to going with a Shockwave setup or a traditional bag setup on a clipped frame, what would you prefer? Cost is important, but not mandatory. I really like the way you did the '55, and it definately shows that you know what you're doing. Because of that, your opinion is very important to me.
Hey chevyrestoguy,

I am in the middle of my project right now and have completed the rolling chassis. I used Shockwaves on my Camaro sub frame. I like you thought and still thank the Shockwave's are way to expensive, but take away the cost and it's the only way to go. Other then cutting the spring pocket open a few inches, it's a bolt in install. The other great thing about them is the shock damping is completely adjustable. I can adjust the height from 3/4 inches from the ground to about 5 inches on the Camaro sub frame. So if you want bags and after the shock to you wallet is gone, then you'll be glade you went with the Shockwave's.
Attached Images

Last edited by CAL 58 GMC; 05-28-2006 at 12:36 PM.