The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: If you had the option, which of these grills would you use?
Original 66 painted grill 1 20.00%
64-66 C60 painted grill 2 40.00%
an original aluminum grill that needs to be restored 2 40.00%
the repo aluminum grill that is now available 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2020, 11:46 AM   #726
cwcarpenter98

Re: pdx-sanity66

Those lights look really good. Are the lenses aftermarket or originals?

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #727
roll_the_dice

Looking good! how is the exhaust install going?
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:58 AM   #728
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Looking good! how is the exhaust install going?
Thanks. The exhaust is almost done. I had to trim about an inch off of the muffler exit pipe to get the clearance I needed for the tailpipes. I'm going to do a couple of welds and the exhaust is finally done other than taking it all apart one more time to paint the exhaust pipes with some high temp paint since I used steel pipes instead of aluminized steel or stainless steel. Then put it all back together for good.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #729
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
So, the exhaust project is getting close to completion. The welding went okay and like anything learned I got better as it went. The bad news is I got literally 3 in. left on the last piece and my mig gun bit the dust. I learned to weld on my little Eastwood 135 welder and I love it so I bought the replacement gun made for the welder. It went on fine and I'm ready to go. I still have to get some hangers on but I know where I'll put them. Here are a few pics of what I've been up to.
I read you nightmare about the exhaust and thought, i will try my own. I have had many new exhaust done at shops, but never really liked what they did, so i have decided to try my own hand at it. Bought a universal 2 1/2" kit, and we will see how that goes. i have yet to get mufflers, only because i need to see what room i have because i plan to exit the truck just behind the cab, so room may be tight.
Otherwise, i like what you have done!!
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:39 PM   #730
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Those lights look really good. Are the lenses aftermarket or originals?
Thanks. The rear lens are originals I'm still going to polish them up a little. The front turn signal lenses are new. All of the housings, bezels, etc. are originals to the truck. I've restored them all. housings all blasted and then clear coated. The bezels had a couple of dings that I got out and then polished from 350 grit and proceeding down to 1200 grit and then 000 and 0000 steel wool. I'm not really in to a lot of bling so they will remain with a brushed look and a satin clear coat. I got the wiring done on the rear lights.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:24 PM   #731
cwcarpenter98

Thanks! I think the brushed style looks better as well. I will most likely do the same with mine eventually. Are you happy with the look of the new turn signal ones? Mine have several hairline cracks in them and are a little faded, so I was considering new ones, but wasn't sure about the quality.
I did get new tail light lenses that have a GM Restoration Parts sticker on them. I'm saving those for when I eventually replace the bed though.

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
Old 10-08-2020, 01:19 AM   #732
Warrens69GMC

Subscribing..
Warrens69GMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:51 PM   #733
pdxhall

Quote:
Thanks! I think the brushed style looks better as well. I will most likely do the same with mine eventually. Are you happy with the look of the new turn signal ones? Mine have several hairline cracks in them and are a little faded, so I was considering new ones, but wasn't sure about the quality.
I did get new tail light lenses that have a GM Restoration Parts sticker on them. I'm saving those for when I eventually replace the bed though.
The new ones are amazing. Exact replicas as far as I can tell. It might be the same company as originals.

Old 10-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #734
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
The new ones are amazing. Exact replicas as far as I can tell. It might be the same company as originals.
Sweet! I'll have to order some next time I buy some parts for the truck

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 10-14-2020, 08:02 AM   #735
clemdaddy

Do you still need a cab light lens? I have several amber ones that are from KD517 lights and the lens number is LS303. Let me know...
Truck is really coming together, seems like that Arizona weather and hard works is conducive to making good progress.
Really like the toolbox console idea, very creative.
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:30 PM   #736
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
Do you still need a cab light lens? I have several amber ones that are from KD517 lights and the lens number is LS303. Let me know...
Truck is really coming together, seems like that Arizona weather and hard works is conducive to making good progress.
Really like the toolbox console idea, very creative.
Thanks man, I have the lenses I need. I've been working on getting the truck on the road so the console has been put on hold for now. I've been slowed down by the heat wave we've been having but now that it has cooled down a bit I am making great progress. Thanks for checking in.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:22 PM   #737
pdxhall

I haven't posted for a couple of weeks but I've been getting a lot done. My phone camera got a scratch on the lens and that made for some out of focus pictures. I finally got my wife's camera and tried to catch up on what's been going on.
First off. I did get the exhaust finished and I'm real happy with it. I disassembled one last time to paint the pipes I made and to fit up the tail pipes. Everything has been assembled and aligned.
Second is the under seat original jack, handles, and brackets. I removed the driver's seat and got the brackets and springs installed. The jack holder was moved towards the center more because of the bucket seat bracket. The jack still rises and lowers with no issues other than the 50+ year old grease. I still have to clean and paint the jack and handle before installing. Both seats have been bolted down for the final time (I hope).
More to come.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2020, 04:36 PM   #738
cwcarpenter98

Lookin' good! Only thing I noticed is I think the middle hook for the tool holding spring is on backwards.

This is how I have mine. No where near as clean as yours though
Attached Images

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 11-21-2020, 01:00 PM   #739
pdxhall

Thanks for noticing the bracket. I'll fix that. Here's another progress report.
The new horn button: I decided to use the key hole in the column for a horn button. I purchased the button from Amazon. It fit the hole almost perfectly. I had some scrap aluminum laying around that I made the backing piece. The wiring needed to be routed so I removed the steering wheel. I then removed the inner lock mechanism and it all fit very nicely. I clipped the horn wire from the turn signal cam and wired it to the button. I ran the wires for the switches ground and power. I just need to hook up those wires and it will be done. I also removed the "lock" word from the column and I'll touch that up.
I've got the hood on and very close to getting it adjusted. I fits great. I was a little worried about that with all of the work done on it.
Attached Images

Last edited by pdxhall; 11-21-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:15 PM   #740
roll_the_dice

Everything looks great! Keep the posts and pictures coming.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:09 AM   #741
cwcarpenter98

I really like the look of the hood with no seams. Have you thought about doing the same thing to the front fenders?

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 11-22-2020, 11:32 AM   #742
88Stanger

nice work sir!
Old 11-27-2020, 01:24 PM   #743
pdxhall

Quote:
I really like the look of the hood with no seams. Have you thought about doing the same thing to the front fenders?
Thanks. it was a lot of work but well worth the effort I think. I'm not sure which part of the front you are referring to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
nice work sir!
Thanks, I'm having a lot of fun right now that the truck is about ready to drive more than around my driveway.

Old 11-28-2020, 10:46 AM   #744
cwcarpenter98

I was referring to the outer front fender where the outer skin meets the part the surrounds the grille. Those two sections are spot welded together and I think had some seam sealer in it from the factory, but I'm not sure on the seam sealer part

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 12-02-2020, 04:07 PM   #745
pdxhall

Quote:
I was referring to the outer front fender where the outer skin meets the part the surrounds the grille. Those two sections are spot welded together and I think had some seam sealer in it from the factory, but I'm not sure on the seam sealer part
Any other seam filling would not allow me to replace/remove the fenders or the grill surround.
I finished wiring the horn and it works great. I also finished wiring my trans temp gauge except for the sender which I'm still working at sender location.
I've also been working on the headlights and grill. Right now I have 3 grills, 2 aluminum and the original painted grill with a nice patina. The 2 aluminum have issues. One is a grill that I picked up several years ago for free. I went to a guys place to get another part and this grill was just sitting out on the ground and he had no interest in it. The second grill is the so called NOS grill that I paid way to much for. It is my fault for not asking for more pictures. I don't doubt it was a NOS grill but I believe it was a defective grill that was replaced. It has all the problems that started showing up as the dies were starting to wear out. Most of the grill bars are bent, there are some bad creases in the outer part of the headlight bucket part of the grill. It is not fit to be used. I cleaned up my original painted grill a bit and I am using it for now. I am looking in to a place here in Tucson that I'm looking in to for restoration of one or both of the aluminum grills. I've got the headlight assemblies and wiring done on the grill. I'm waiting for headlight relays that should be here tomorrow and then the grill will be installed.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2020, 09:34 PM   #746
pdxhall

I've been slow at getting posts up but I've been getting alot done. I left off with the grill. I cleaned up the original painted grill, got all of the hardware installed that I previously blasted and painted or polished up. and finished the the wiring with an added pair of relays. It all works except I need to buy a couple of bulbs.
I've also been prepping the door jams and the sides of the roof to get some slick sand sprayed. Then I can get the top painted white so I can install the windshield and rear glass.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2020, 07:42 AM   #747
The Rocknrod

Great progress, it's looking good already.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:41 AM   #748
88Stanger

looking good sir!
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
Old 12-24-2020, 06:11 PM   #749
pdxhall

Thanks you guys.
I've got the top all sanded and taped off. It's a little cool out right now but Sat. and Sun. are supposed to be back in the low 70s. so I'm shooting for then. I've got the outside of both doors stripped, also, and I'm hoping to get some epoxy on them. The hood has been adjusted and I have an area on the rear corner of the hood does not line up. I got it a little closer to being okay but I have decided to fixt it with a patch. Luckily I still had enough of the donor hood to cut a couple of pieces that match the contour of the hood that I will trim up and use.

Old 12-29-2020, 04:32 PM   #750
pdxhall

I've almost completed all the mechanical and wiring of the truck. I have been working heavily on body work right now. I've been working on stripping the outsides of the door panels. I've also repatched the gas fill hole after a complete fail with the aftermarket patch I wasted $10 on. I cut it out and made my own patch. It worked out much better.
I've also been working on the hood. I finally got it adjusted to my liking but the pass. rear corner did not align properly. This is an area that was suspect from the beginning of alignment. Luckily I was able to salvage a couple more pieces from my donor hood to make a new patch to correct it. I'm still working on it but it's going to work out well, I think. I also got a couple of coats of slick sand on the sides of the roof.
Attached Images