The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2018, 02:30 AM   #1
Dylpickle

In Search Of My Fathers 1972 GMC Pickup, CA!

Good evening all,

I am new to this forum, I am here to hopefully get some help I am currently in search of my fathers 1972 GMC Pickup C1500 orange in color last known license plate number was California (98184L). My father originally purchased it from the factory in 1973 in Bakersfield, California and owned it up until the winter of 2001 - 2002? I at the time was around 8 years old and have fond memories of the truck, I am now 24 years old and would like to try and bring it back into my life, that truck bit me with the hot rods/classics bug and I never was able to shake it.

The gentlemen that we sold it to lived in the Southern, CA area as far as I know. I actually got in contact with him in 2012 and kind of got a little bit of a story of what he did with it, unfortunately he sold the truck sometime in 2003 - 2004 at the Pomona swap meet. He wasn't able to produce any paper work or photos of the paper work but that's as much as I know. I am working with my father to recover the vin # which would help me greatly, but I wanted to get on here and see if anyone would have an idea where the trucks where bouts are today or if anyone could help me and point me in the right direction of how I can find it?

Year: 1972
Make: GMC
Model: C1500
License Plate: 98184L
Color: Omaha Orange
Last Known Area: Pomona, CA (2003 - 2004)
Last Known Owner: Jim L.

I appreciate everyone's help, feel free to message me on here lets get this shared around! Praying that its either all together running or put away in a safe dry place ready to be found.

Thank you,
Dylan

Attached Images

Dylpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
72 Super

Re: In Search Of My Fathers 1972 GMC Pickup, CA!

I am not positive but there was a Orange 72 GMC SWB listed on EBay several years back. Not sure but I’m thinking it was this truck. It was a Sierra also. It was lowered and had torque thrust wheels. The guy that had it listed had several other trucks as well. I don’t remember what state he was in. Maybe he is a member here or another member may remember. Do you have have any engine compartment pictures? The truck in am referring to had some sort of undercoating above the AC box on the passenger side of the firewall.

Ray
Old 01-31-2018, 09:53 PM   #3
Dylpickle

Ray,

I appreciate it. I do not have any other pictures then what I posted, do know it had the original engine but it was overhauled sometime in 2000, reason I am not sure. I would assume unless the under coating was stock then that wouldn't of been the truck.

Thank you,
Dylan
Old 02-01-2018, 05:27 PM   #4
72 Super

Dylan,

I believe the truck was on EBay 5-6 years ago. It’s seems to me it might have been listed in Oregon at the time. The owner also had a Blue/White 4x4 that he listed. Do you have the VIN ?

Ray
Old 02-01-2018, 05:44 PM   #5
Gromit

One way to find the VIN might be to look back to your Dad's auto insurance at the time..

Once you have the vin you can try just Google'ing that number

Worst case you could pay CarFax or Autocheck or the like.. actually they might be able to work off your old plate number even if the truck is in a different state now. If it is still in California then the DMV knows for sure - but you need a friendly Officer or an Insurance guy to look it up for you.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:04 PM   #6
Ski-me

Keep up the look....I found mine! I sold mine when first child was born and then eventually found it 15 years later. But I did have the VIN # so that helped. I was able to see the ownership trail from Carfax and with a little help, found the owner (or previous) actually. He said it was sold and chopped up into a "Mudder".

Sadly, I kinda quit looking but occasionally combed craigslist in the Seattle area. Anytime I saw something similar, I asked for a VIN number. Finally, after several years a guy responded with the same VIN! Couldn't believe it.

Told him I'd buy it on the spot, flew up from CO and drove it back from Seattle. Quite the sketchy drive but it made it. Next morning after arriving.....didn't start. Blessed I was!

Anyways, keep digging and maybe you'll find it, too.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:55 AM   #7
Dylpickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 Super View Post
Dylan,

I believe the truck was on EBay 5-6 years ago. It’s seems to me it might have been listed in Oregon at the time. The owner also had a Blue/White 4x4 that he listed. Do you have the VIN ?

Ray
Wow, way cool I will keep my eyes pointed in that direction. My father was able to re-cover the VIN # from our insurance company, however the last I heard they had to email it our local agent so I am still waiting to hear back. Once I know the VIN I should be able to search it and find out directly where its located. Anyone remember or have pictures of the eBay posting or the sellers name on there?

Thank you all, I sure appreciate it!!

Dylan
Old 02-06-2018, 03:07 AM   #8
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

You have to understand These truck can have problems if this truck got up in to a cold clyment or a wet one the chance it got cancer.An so many people are out there now for the better part of 8-10 years buying theses trucks for the part out the chances this truck is still around or been hatched.Is very good.Sense its a short bed.Most guys like to convert them over the Chevy grills from 1967-68.That's the old Fad.Air ride system came out in the late 90's cut up the inside of the bed.

But again the Part out Kings is the ones that i say will end up getting them or the most of them.Seen some really nice trucks go into there back yards an shops an never to be on the road again.I've owned over 35 of these trucks.I've tried to save so many from the crusher.

Back in 2005--2010 Metal was up over 850.00 a ton for cast and steel junk car's and trucks where fetching around 1100.00 per car or truck.

Seen a lot of nice trucks and car's go in to the scrap yard to be shredded.The metal is starting to head that way again
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:39 PM   #9
Dylpickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 Super View Post
Dylan,

Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
You have to understand These truck can have problems if this truck got up in to a cold clyment or a wet one the chance it got cancer.An so many people are out there now for the better part of 8-10 years buying theses trucks for the part out the chances this truck is still around or been hatched.Is very good.Sense its a short bed.Most guys like to convert them over the Chevy grills from 1967-68.That's the old Fad.Air ride system came out in the late 90's cut up the inside of the bed.

But again the Part out Kings is the ones that i say will end up getting them or the most of them.Seen some really nice trucks go into there back yards an shops an never to be on the road again.I've owned over 35 of these trucks.I've tried to save so many from the crusher.

Back in 2005--2010 Metal was up over 850.00 a ton for cast and steel junk car's and trucks where fetching around 1100.00 per car or truck.

Seen a lot of nice trucks and car's go in to the scrap yard to be shredded.The metal is starting to head that way again

Yes, that is one of my biggest concerns but I am hopeful that it is still on the road or just parked in a garage some where.

Dylan
Old 02-06-2018, 11:46 PM   #10
Dylpickle

GREAT News!!

The insurance company finally got back to us and was able to track down the VIN # in their system. So now that I have this I am hoping the search will be a lot easier. This is such great news!

VIN # TCE14ZZ515872

Dylan