The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
Strcdan

4/6 drop guys

Hey guys, I just lowered my 93 ss and love it. We did a belltech 4/6 drop. I noticed my rear sits a little lower to where it's almost tucking the tires. What's everyone doing to fix this. I'm looking into air lift helper bags. My concern is the minimum air pressure is 5psi and I don't want to raise the rear up much at all, just kinda level it with the front. So basically quarter to half inch. Anyone have experience with bags and a 6" inch rear drop??
Strcdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
91short

Re: 4/6 drop guys

Just give it a few weeks for the new coil springs to settle before doing anything.
91short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
Tom
driving is in my blood

What we are doing is not doing a 4/6 drop. The front wheel wells are larger then the rear, so the rear always looks lowered more unless you keep some rake. A 5/6 drop is perfect. With the required 10psi in my rear helper bags it lifts the rear of the truck maybe 1/4" if that, nothing to worry about.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #4
Strcdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
What we are doing is not doing a 4/6 drop. The front wheel wells are larger then the rear, so the rear always looks lowered more unless you keep some rake. A 5/6 drop is perfect. With the required 10psi in my rear helper bags it lifts the rear of the truck maybe 1/4" if that, nothing to worry about.
Good info....thanks a lot. I did the 5/6 drop but my fenders where laying on my tires in the front. With my wheel and tire combo right now it wasn't working. So I had to put the 1" isolaters back in.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
Drewkimble48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strcdan View Post
Good info....thanks a lot. I did the 5/6 drop but my fenders where laying on my tires in the front. With my wheel and tire combo right now it wasn't working. So I had to put the 1" isolaters back in.
I had the same issue with the front rubbing on the fender lip. instead of putting the isolators back on, I went ahead a pushed the fender lip up and into the inner wheel house. luckily since I need a new paint job, I just took the wheels off and hit the crap out them where the tire would rub. problem solved.
they have a fender roller you can buy, rent, or have someone do it for you that will prevent you from doing damage to your paint.

I did the exact same kit for my extended cab and I noticed that the rear was lower. Like what the above said you might let the coils relax.
Also make sure when you put the flip kit on, that you didn't have the brackets backwards where they would push the rearend forward.
I did that the first time around and it was putting the transmission in a bind somewhat.
I don't know about you but I managed not to use any of the accessories in my kit to correct the pinion angle. Would not think I would need to since I'm doing a straight drop from stock.
Drives great though!
Drewkimble48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:34 AM   #6
Tom
driving is in my blood

Yes rolling the fender lips is required but very much worth it.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:43 AM   #7
Strcdan

I had the lips of the fenders cut out instead. I have moulding around thw wheel well I wanted to keep. I don't believe I put the brackets backwards,(what brackets?) but it did move the axel I believe and definetly my pinion angle wich I had to shim. What brackets are you talking about? I didn't use the spacers to lift the tranny up, I didn't like that idea of doing that. If you lift the front of the tranny your putting stress somewhere else.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:36 AM   #8
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Got any pics of the job?

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #9
Strcdan

I'll try to post pics soon. I found out what bracket drew is talking about too. The axel saddle. I don't think it's back wards, but I did have to put 4 degree shims to straighten the drive shaft with the rear end.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:37 AM   #10
Strcdan

[/URL]
Old 10-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #11
Drewkimble48

Quote:
I'll try to post pics soon. I found out what bracket drew is talking about too. The axel saddle. I don't think it's back wards, but I did have to put 4 degree shims to straighten the drive shaft with the rear end.
Sorry I'm kind of getting back late and my wording. The bracket I'm talking about is the belltech plate that goes on the bottom of the axle tubes and the other belltech piece that wraps around the axle tubes. the holes are off centered on both of them. Make sure they are aligned with each other and they are not put on to push the axle forward. You will notice that you put it on backwards when you notice that the wheels are not centered with the wheel well and more forward.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #12
Strcdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewkimble48 View Post
Sorry I'm kind of getting back late and my wording. The bracket I'm talking about is the belltech plate that goes on the bottom of the axle tubes and the other belltech piece that wraps around the axle tubes. the holes are off centered on both of them. Make sure they are aligned with each other and they are not put on to push the axle forward. You will notice that you put it on backwards when you notice that the wheels are not centered with the wheel well and more forward.
No they have to be on right. If not it would of pushed my drive shaft forward too and I don't have that problem. Wheels are centered in the wheel we'll too. Thanks for the info. Did you shim your rear end? I had to 4degrees. I could probably do a 5-6 degree too. I have no vibration so I'll leave it alone.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #13
Drewkimble48

Quote:
No they have to be on right. If not it would of pushed my drive shaft forward too and I don't have that problem. Wheels are centered in the wheel we'll too. Thanks for the info. Did you shim your rear end? I had to 4degrees. I could probably do a 5-6 degree too. I have no vibration so I'll leave it alone.
I did not have to put in the shims. I don't know what some other guys did but I got an angle finder to see what the pinion angle was at stock which was 2* and when I checked it again, it was at 2* without the shims. I have no vibrations going 70 mph other than what may seem like a vibration when I take off from a light but it may be that my parking brake may need some adjustment.