The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2003, 05:37 AM   #1
86K10 Guy

Couple Questions..please

Hi all,
New to forum, have been lurking in the shadows, seems like a very active group and look forward to participating in the forums.

I have a 86' K10 4x4, it has the stock 305 in it and had a couple of questions. First, about my oil pressure guage, it slowly started dropping while driving and is now at 0 psi..does not even move. I have checked the oil and all is good in that department. Do have a rear seal that is leaking but am keeping up with the oil level. I do really need to change that rear seal.

Having a difficult time locating the oil sending unit on the truck. If anyone has a pic of location would be much appreciated and how hard is this going to be to replace if that is what is at fault. How would I test this sending unit?

Lastly, thinking bout an engine swap eventually. My old truck has stock 305 motor with a TH400 tranny and 154,000k miles on it. The little motor still runs good, but would like to swap to at least a 350 motor. How difficult is this swap?

Thanks ahead of time for any pics or info regarding my 2 questions and looking forward to chimming in here and there!

Thanks, Joe..peace <*)))><
86K10 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:27 AM   #2
*MJF*
No longer truckless

The oil sending units or hard line connection(whichever you have on that truck) are usually located behind the distributor. At least that's where I found most of them on the engines I have worked on.

The swap should be easy. Everything should blot right in.
*MJF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 12:09 PM   #3
GreenMystChevy

It may be the sending unit and/ or line and it may also be that the pick-up to your oil pump, the part that sits in the pan and sucks up the oil, could have fallen off. It happened to me on my big block and I'd hate for you to drive around with no oiling process.
You may have already thought of this but thought I'd share.
'72 Nova (Dad's)
'70 Chevelle SS
'55 Sedan Delivery

Attempting to build up this here 4x4...make her real tall and purty...well, maybe just tall
GreenMystChevy is offline   Reply With Quote