The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2020, 11:40 PM   #1
mr48chev

ONE MORE TIME!!!! put down what you are working on in your questions.

I've made this request before but one more time. When you ask a technical mechanical question about something take the time to write down exactly what you are working with.

If it is a stock 1/2 ton AD truck with closed drive state that, If it is a stock 3/4 ton state that. Tell/remind us what engine, trans or rear or brakes you are working on no matter how many times you have posted about the truck and don't assume that we remember.

If you are working on or hunting a part for something that has been swapped out remind us of what you are working on. That gets the right guys answering the question, gets the right answers and no one has to assume what you have and after 30 minutes of our time doing research making sure our answer is correct find out that you were working on something different than what we thought you had.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:01 AM   #2
mick53

Re: ONE MORE TIME!!!! put down what you are working on in your questions.

Thanks for the reminder.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 11:42 AM   #3
MARTINSR

Good luck with that.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #4
nvrdone

hey mr 48. I know this has been done before, but how about some instructions on how to list details of our trucks so they show up in our posts. Just some help for those of us who are computer challenged.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:40 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

nvrdone...
go up to the top..blue box..3rd one over ..says user cp..click that
then go down the left side and click edit signature..
then type in what you want
and you can add your build thread if you have one...easier to find that way for us

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:17 PM   #6
nvrdone

done. hope it works.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
Old 03-24-2020, 07:01 PM   #7
mr48chev

The thing is that I don't have all of the info I share with folks when they ask a question right there in my head and even if I do I very often take the time to check and verify my info. Or in some cases I spend anywhere from a couple of minutes to an hour searching for the right answer or go out with my camera and dig a piece out and take photos for that answer. I don't believe in doing guesses and firmly believe that if you are not positive that you are giving the correct answer don't give an answer at all. That is far more a face book issue than here as some people in the truck group there tend to throw out obviously wrong answers on a regular basis.

Getting the correct answer the first time requires giving all the pertinent information in the question and not assuming that the other guys remember exactly what you have or will look at your build page to find out.

Sorry to be a bit of a gripe but spending a half hour to look up what the person who was asking a question about only to be told "oh no, that isn't what I have, i have a _____" gets a bit tiresome.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:57 PM   #8
MARTINSR

I am NOT kidding! This is a post on another web site I visit. This is the guys 2nd post he was ever made there. Thread named "Confused"

Post number 1:

when I turn my engine off it keeps running

Number 2 someone responds:

It’s called deisiling!
Close your throttle (turn idle down).

Original poster's response number 4 and then 5:

no that's not it, it keeps running

new engine & carb & HEI dist-removed ECM

Yep, I see this going well.....................

Brian

Old 03-25-2020, 10:43 AM   #9
nvrdone

and I wonder where he got his automotive smarts ????
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
Old 03-25-2020, 12:54 PM   #10
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
and I wonder where he got his automotive smarts ????
Now mind you, I give the guy a lot of slack, we are all different, we communicate differently we know different amounts about the subject, I get that, I am not beating him up. But daaaaamn we can be very different in our communication skills. But at the same time it depends on how much we know about the subject. If I were to post on a computer forum about the problems with my MAC I am damn sure I would look just as dumb.

If we give them some slack and ask the questions needed to get the info, that's all good. When the person doesn't feel like telling you what you are asking......now there is an issue.

Brian

Old 03-27-2020, 11:44 AM   #11
_Ogre

i made a thread on how to put links in your signature too, it's in my signature
skip to post 47 to avoid the photosuckit fiasco

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 03:29 PM   #12
Driver_WT

I try to remember as much as possible. On hotrodders.com they are pretty aggressive if you ask a question and don't provide the info on your engine or vehicle.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:04 PM   #13
mr48chev

I don't care if a new guy has no automotive mechanic experience at all. Remember I spent 13 years teaching high school auto shop starting with sophomore students who didn't some of who didn't know how to drive yet as they actually never got behind the wheel time until they took drivers ED that was a required subject in that time frame.

It's not the asking a question because you don't know the basics that bugs me. It is assuming that others who do answer a number of questions daily remember or know what you are working on that is the issue.

I never throw a guess out when someone puts up a question. I refuse to throw out a wrong answer just to be funny and will call you on if you do. This board is great but I am on another board where certain guys think posting a bogus answer is funny.
I do normally research my answers to make sure that I have them right, that takes time. The question that caused my uproar this time I spent almost an hour of my time checking to make sure my answer was right and then got an "oh no that wasn't what I was asking about I am working on a _______ now.

It all comes down to don't assume that others know what you are working on. Take the time to remind us of the year of the truck, the size of the engine and year if possible, or what ever details you can provide including clear photos with a decent camera of what you are working on for us to check. Someone here will have the correct answer if you give as much info as you are able to.

On the other hand some times we as those giving the answer may be guilty of assuming that the one asking the question has the ability to visualize what we are writing about without us giving extra details or a full set of instructions .

Old 04-14-2020, 04:44 PM   #14
dsraven

just wondering if someone can help me this.
just installed new muffler bearings, including the himmler valve (now that was hard to find but, thankfully, someone else did the work on research for me and had it shipped directly to my door) and cleaned everything with a fresh bucket of steam procured locally. now, just wondering, before I start the thing up, do I need new down grease on the gooseneck that holds the feather valve on the duckbill swivel or am I good? please research everything for me while I watch the game and have a beer with my dog. get back to me right away as this is really urgent.

next question, how do I change spark plugs and wires on this thing? it's a diesel.
also need a new rad cap for my overheating 62 vw beetle 1200cc, according to the dude I was talking to in the line up for a coffee. he seemed very knowledgeable, that's gonna fix everything if the whole tube of silicone sealer on the rad hose won't work......

haha, mr48 needed a laugh.hopefully that worked.

gonna go have a snickers now.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:52 AM   #15
mr48chev

OK Bucky, and no you can't put water in the brake fluid reservoir to get back to town even if the old farts that hang out with your dad told you it would work.

Believe it or not Bucky turned out to be a pretty darned good automatic transmission man in spite of all his crazy questions and comments. I think those guys who hung out with his dad had a bit of fun at his expense.