The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #1976
osaltyone
Registered User
 
osaltyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Corona, ca
Posts: 361
Re: SoCal checkin' in

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialBoss View Post
Hey Osaltyone,

Have you had issues with smog? Or did you have a hard time sourcing the engine?
Haven't had to smog it yet, but will have to make all the smog stuff work because of my truck year. Wish I had an older year. the engine was fairly easy to find local auto dismantler. I got mine as a package with the engine, trans, PCM, harness pedal and computer for the pedal.
osaltyone is offline  
Old 01-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #1977
Lee H
Senior Member
 
Lee H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upland Ca
Posts: 3,988
Re: SoCal checkin' in

Quote:
Originally Posted by osaltyone View Post
Haven't had to smog it yet, but will have to make all the smog stuff work because of my truck year. Wish I had an older year. the engine was fairly easy to find local auto dismantler. I got mine as a package with the engine, trans, PCM, harness pedal and computer for the pedal.
You need to do some research on this. About 10 years ago when I looked into putting a newer, late 90s TBI, motor in a 1978 C10 the Air Resources Board told me the vehicle would need to be certified by the ARB and from then on it would be required to pass smog in accordance with the donor vehicle. I sold the truck rather than open this can of worms. Things may have changed since then.
__________________
1972 C10 SWB, Air, PS, PB, 350/350THM. Second owner.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline  
Old 01-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #1978
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member
 
VDOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 5,298
Re: SoCal checkin' in

Arent you in training mode? You might want to limit yourself. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopped up View Post
That sux vdog, I'll eat a few extra tacos god you. And a few cold ones lol
__________________
69 C-10 Longbed Fleetside with a nice 91 TPI that smokes the tires.
Custom front disc setup from Kragen.
CPP 3/5 drop with front sway bars.

1968 GMC Project Slant-Nose
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5542618
VDOG is offline  
Old 01-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #1979
hopped up
Registered User
 
hopped up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 3,618
Re: SoCal checkin' in

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Arent you in training mode? You might want to limit yourself. LOL
youre right vince. maybe only 1 taco and no beer
hopped up is offline  
Old 01-17-2014, 08:21 PM   #1980
osaltyone
Registered User
 
osaltyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Corona, ca
Posts: 361
Re: SoCal checkin' in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
You need to do some research on this. About 10 years ago when I looked into putting a newer, late 90s TBI, motor in a 1978 C10 the Air Resources Board told me the vehicle would need to be certified by the ARB and from then on it would be required to pass smog in accordance with the donor vehicle. I sold the truck rather than open this can of worms. Things may have changed since then.
Yeah, it is still the same. I have to get all the fuel purge stuff installed and enable the rear O2 sensors from what I read. Might be more, but we'll see.
osaltyone is offline  
Old 01-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #1981
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member
 
VDOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 5,298
Re: SoCal checkin' in

Now you know one taco is just go piss you off. LOL
Get you bout 3 and 2 beers and call it a night. I will eat the other 6 for you. LOL


Quote:
Originally Posted by hopped up View Post
youre right vince. maybe only 1 taco and no beer
__________________
69 C-10 Longbed Fleetside with a nice 91 TPI that smokes the tires.
Custom front disc setup from Kragen.
CPP 3/5 drop with front sway bars.

1968 GMC Project Slant-Nose
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5542618
VDOG is offline  
Old 01-17-2014, 11:06 PM   #1982
Lee H
Senior Member
 
Lee H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upland Ca
Posts: 3,988
Re: SoCal checkin' in

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdog View Post
now you know one taco is just go piss you off. Lol
get you bout 3 and 2 beers and call it a night. I will eat the other 6 for you. Lol
lol!
__________________
1972 C10 SWB, Air, PS, PB, 350/350THM. Second owner.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline  
Old 01-19-2014, 02:23 AM   #1983
VWNate1
Registered User
 
VWNate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: So. Cali.
Posts: 2,119
Re : SoCal SMOG Testing

FWIW ;

It's really very simple as long as you're not too lazy ~

My old '76 GMC 2500 Long Bed Fleetside's 292 burned oil like crazy but didn't smoke much thanx to original HEI and careful tuning , '76 is the last year Cali. smogs so I went to work and replaced about 40' of various size hoses , added spring typ clips to every hose connection , timed it bang on , opened the spark plugs up to .070" and it breezed through the smog test ! I forget the limits but the Tester told me he was amazed it ran so clean for such and old truck .

No CAT either .

Long live dependable GMC light duty trucks ! .

The message here is : if you take the time to dot every 'I' and cross every 'T' , it'll prolly be fine .

I had much fun (NOT !) hooking up the dual tanks various venting and vapor recovery hoses but the original 1976 activated charcoal canister still worked just fine .

__________________
-Nate
Geezer
'49 3100 235 W/ Muncie SM420 SOLD
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH

MUNCIE SM465 FREE !
VWNate1 is offline  
Old 01-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #1984
InitialBoss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: So Cal
Posts: 292
Re: SoCal checkin' in

Ok, gents, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I found out my truck is leaking ATF. However, I have a 2 week old baby boy, taking care of my 20 month old daughter, and going back to work again soon, so I don't have the time to fix it myself. I want to take it to a shop to fix and to get my fuel gauge issue resolved, and to get the lights in the console working again. There are other things that need doing like the weather stripping around the doors and the side window vent channels, but that can wait. I just want to make sure this truck is reliable when driving (for the most part). I know it'll need further work but I want to take it to shop to fix these issues and be working so I can work onthe other little things when I have time.

That being said, can anyone recommend a good shop which knows our trucks and is in the Riverside/Corona area? Or maybe Grand terrace? My truck can drive but it also seems to be burning something under the hood. After a short drive to warm up the ATF, I noticed that the air cleaner tube area was smoking a bit so I'm not sure why that would be so hot or why it's smoking around that area. (I still have to check the gasket in the ATF filler tube so hopefully that'll be an easy fix.) Sorry for the long post but I'm wanting to get this started soon so I can go cruising to meets in the future!
__________________
1978 C-10 Custom Deluxe | I6 250 | SWB | Stepside
InitialBoss is offline  
Old 01-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #1985
Dano69c10
Senior Member
 
Dano69c10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ontario, Kali
Posts: 2,428
Re: SoCal checkin' in

Ask "ItsRandy" he's from the Grand Terrace area, he probably knows all the shops around him.

Dano

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialBoss View Post
Ok, gents, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I found out my truck is leaking ATF. However, I have a 2 week old baby boy, taking care of my 20 month old daughter, and going back to work again soon, so I don't have the time to fix it myself. I want to take it to a shop to fix and to get my fuel gauge issue resolved, and to get the lights in the console working again. There are other things that need doing like the weather stripping around the doors and the side window vent channels, but that can wait. I just want to make sure this truck is reliable when driving (for the most part). I know it'll need further work but I want to take it to shop to fix these issues and be working so I can work onthe other little things when I have time.

That being said, can anyone recommend a good shop which knows our trucks and is in the Riverside/Corona area? Or maybe Grand terrace? My truck can drive but it also seems to be burning something under the hood. After a short drive to warm up the ATF, I noticed that the air cleaner tube area was smoking a bit so I'm not sure why that would be so hot or why it's smoking around that area. (I still have to check the gasket in the ATF filler tube so hopefully that'll be an easy fix.) Sorry for the long post but I'm wanting to get this started soon so I can go cruising to meets in the future!
__________________
'69 Fleet

It ain't yours, if you didn't build it!
Dano69c10 is offline  
Old 01-23-2014, 12:54 AM   #1986
ItsRandy
Registered User
 
ItsRandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Grand Terrace, Ca.
Posts: 1,612
Re: SoCal checkin' in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano69c10 View Post
Ask "ItsRandy" he's from the Grand Terrace area, he probably knows all the shops around him.

Dano
I wish I could help you out but I haven't taken my truck to a shop except for interior, exhaust or to get it an alignment for 30 years so I really don't know any shops. However, if I get some time I will come over and lend a hand. You need more light in your garage!
ItsRandy is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 01:28 AM   #1987
InitialBoss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: So Cal
Posts: 292
Re: SoCal checkin' in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRandy View Post
I wish I could help you out but I haven't taken my truck to a shop except for interior, exhaust or to get it an alignment for 30 years so I really don't know any shops. However, if I get some time I will come over and lend a hand. You need more light in your garage!
Thanks Randy, I appreciate the help. Yeah, it's just a little odds and ends that need fixing like all our trucks. Where did all you guys learn how to fix your trucks? I wish I had some of this vast knowledge! I'm barely learning how to replace my shocks and seatbelts. Ha ha!!
__________________
1978 C-10 Custom Deluxe | I6 250 | SWB | Stepside
InitialBoss is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 01:44 AM   #1988
hopped up
Registered User
 
hopped up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 3,618
Re: SoCal checkin' in

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialBoss View Post
Thanks Randy, I appreciate the help. Yeah, it's just a little odds and ends that need fixing like all our trucks. Where did all you guys learn how to fix your trucks? I wish I had some of this vast knowledge! I'm barely learning how to replace my shocks and seatbelts. Ha ha!!
You learn by jumping in and doing! Of course do research before, but no bette wY to learn than to do it. I've been at it since I was a kid and trust me I've made my share of mistakes, I'm sure I'll make plenty more too. But I'll keep building and getting better as I go. Don be afraid to try of to make mistakes. You'll learn from those mistakes
hopped up is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 12:46 AM   #1989
hopped up
Registered User
 
hopped up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 3,618
Re: SoCal checkin' in

Well you guys missed out! Last nite at old crow speed shop/Delmo speed and custom was a great time. Brook and me had some adult beverages a taco or two and saw lots of really cool hot rods and customs. Oh yeah Jon was there along with Eddie, nice meeting you. Here's a few pics I took
[IMG][/IMG]
Very cool 32 5 window
[IMG][/IMG]
32roadster
[IMG][/IMG]
Looks like vdog is having Delmo work on his truck
hopped up is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 12:47 AM   #1990
hopped up
Registered User
 
hopped up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 3,618
Re: SoCal checkin' in

...
hopped up is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 12:49 AM   #1991
hopped up
Registered User
 
hopped up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 3,618
Re: SoCal checkin' in

[IMG][/IMG]
More of dels work
[IMG][/IMG]
Hey Delmo I'll be by next week to pick up my twin turbo small block
[IMG][/IMG]
hopped up is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 12:52 AM   #1992
hopped up
Registered User
 
hopped up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 3,618
Re: SoCal checkin' in

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Close up of those super sweet cnc'd wheels that look like factory hubcaps
hopped up is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #1993
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy
 
Tom Vogel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Davis County, Utah
Posts: 2,513
Re: SoCal checkin' in

Man... whered he get Those Wheels???
Tom Vogel is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #1994
VWNate1
Registered User
 
VWNate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: So. Cali.
Posts: 2,119
Thumbs up Re : Old Crow Meet

It really was nice , too bad I didn't see any familiar faces .

The music was pretty good and the vintage Hot Rod stuff they have both on display and the Rods proper , were simply amazing .

Sadly I didn't get in the taco line early enough and it got to be wayyyy too long so I ate elsewhere , they looked delicious .

It wasn't crowded atall and out side there were various Hot & Rat Rods lined up and changing .

THANK YOU for the heads up / invite .

I'm supposed to go get my new cab to - night after 6:00 PM , stand by .
__________________
-Nate
Geezer
'49 3100 235 W/ Muncie SM420 SOLD
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH

MUNCIE SM465 FREE !
VWNate1 is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #1995
hopped up
Registered User
 
hopped up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 3,618
Re: SoCal checkin' in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
Man... whered he get Those Wheels???
custom made just for this blazer
hopped up is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #1996
hopped up
Registered User
 
hopped up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 3,618
Re: Re : Old Crow Meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
It really was nice , too bad I didn't see any familiar faces .

The music was pretty good and the vintage Hot Rod stuff they have both on display and the Rods proper , were simply amazing .

Sadly I didn't get in the taco line early enough and it got to be wayyyy too long so I ate elsewhere , they looked delicious .

It wasn't crowded atall and out side there were various Hot & Rat Rods lined up and changing .

THANK YOU for the heads up / invite .

I'm supposed to go get my new cab to - night after 6:00 PM , stand by .
i got there around 8 and it was really crowded. i had to park my truck on thr block over. the tacos were very good. the al pastor was the best. i didnt see any rat rods those are frowned upon at traditional hot rod shows
hopped up is offline  
Old 01-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #1997
VWNate1
Registered User
 
VWNate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: So. Cali.
Posts: 2,119
Post Re: SoCal checkin' in

On a related note :

Can these guy be trusted to do restoration work ? .

My bone stock '69 C/10 needs the cab swapped and like that but I've had enough bad jobs with any old screw in any old hole , don't want that B.S. again .
TIA ,
__________________
-Nate
Geezer
'49 3100 235 W/ Muncie SM420 SOLD
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH

MUNCIE SM465 FREE !
VWNate1 is offline  
Old 01-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #1998
preciador6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: So Cal
Posts: 609
Re: SoCal checkin' in

1972 GMC Value-Van from Pomona 91766
Attached Images
 
preciador6 is online now  
Old 01-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #1999
VWNate1
Registered User
 
VWNate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: So. Cali.
Posts: 2,119
Thumbs up Re : P Van !

That's nice .

Is it a 6 or V8 ? .
__________________
-Nate
Geezer
'49 3100 235 W/ Muncie SM420 SOLD
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH

MUNCIE SM465 FREE !
VWNate1 is offline  
Old 01-27-2014, 07:37 PM   #2000
preciador6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: So Cal
Posts: 609
Re: Re : P Van !

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
That's nice .

Is it a 6 or V8 ? .
Straight 6 four speed
preciador6 is online now  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com