The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
Vandals909

A-arms on stock front member

What are the good options for a-arms on a stock front member? Would like to run 20's front and rear and be as low as an ECE 4/6 drop. Of course want it to handle better also.

I like the ride tech coil over kit just so much more $$$ then I want to spend at the moment
Vandals909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #2
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

Re: A-arms on stock front member

Arms are gonna be around 1100 for pb fab that uses coil spring, cpp also has some an djm has some arms but I would stay away from them
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:42 PM   #3
Vandals909

Why is one preferred over the other? Anyone speak from experience ?
Old 11-17-2015, 07:50 PM   #4
BossHogg69
motor exploder

If you're doing a 4/6 drop and stock crossmember, there is no real reason you need aftermarket arms unless you just want the look. You'll be better off focusing on replacing the balljoints, tie rods, bushings, getting a sway bar and some nice shocks than the 'bling' of aftermarket control arms. And yes, I do have CPP tubular arms (they are nice), and Hotchkis springs, along with double adjustable CA Chassisworks shocks. The arms are nice, but they aren't a 'must' by any means for a good handling, street driven truck.

I'm running 19's front & rear with a 5/7.5 drop if that matters.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandals909 View Post
Why is one preferred over the other? Anyone speak from experience ?
Some are preferred over others because of improved geometry, materials, & benefits vs just being a tubular arm based on OE geometry.

DJM arms are a copy of OE w/a drop pocket for lowering. They make the already compromised scrubline on a lowered C10 worse. I would avoid them.

CPP makes tubular arms that improve geometry & provide better ground clearance as the bushings are no larger than the barrel they fit in. I'm not sure what the bushing material is as the description lists it as "self lubricating, non-squeak, patented plastic". Stock or aftermarket sway bars are compatible. They offer coil specific or bag specific options & they're about $850 or so for uppers/lowers.

Porterbuilt arms improve geometry & they have choices such as altering the wheel base 1" forward and/or narrowing track width. They can be used w/coils or bags (coils require a bolt-on adapter that's extra). The PB arms also require a spec'd sway bar vs any C10 aftermarket bar. They utilize Delrin bushings & are greaseable for maintenance which I like (I don't beleive any claim of squeak free hard plastic/urethane bushings). last I saw PB's were going for around $1,100 but vendors runs sales on them so they can be found for varying prices.

There's the Ride Tech units that work w/bags or the Coil-Over spec'd arms. Which one's you choose decide what supporting gear you'll need & the associated costs.

Don't forget about Hotchkis either..... I really like their products but if cost is a factor.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
72 k10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Some are preferred over others because of improved geometry, materials, & benefits vs just being a tubular arm based on OE geometry.

DJM arms are a copy of OE w/a drop pocket for lowering. They make the already compromised scrubline on a lowered C10 worse. I would avoid them.

CPP makes tubular arms that improve geometry & provide better ground clearance as the bushings are no larger than the barrel they fit in. I'm not sure what the bushing material is as the description lists it as "self lubricating, non-squeak, patented plastic". Stock or aftermarket sway bars are compatible. They offer coil specific or bag specific options & they're about $850 or so for uppers/lowers.

Porterbuilt arms improve geometry & they have choices such as altering the wheel base 1" forward and/or narrowing track width. They can be used w/coils or bags (coils require a bolt-on adapter that's extra). The PB arms also require a spec'd sway bar vs any C10 aftermarket bar. They utilize Delrin bushings & are greaseable for maintenance which I like (I don't beleive any claim of squeak free hard plastic/urethane bushings). last I saw PB's were going for around $1,100 but vendors runs sales on them so they can be found for varying prices.

There's the Ride Tech units that work w/bags or the Coil-Over spec'd arms. Which one's you choose decide what supporting gear you'll need & the associated costs.

Don't forget about Hotchkis either..... I really like their products but if cost is a factor.....
scoti what do you mean by scrub line ? the seam under the doors?
72 k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 k10 View Post
scoti what do you mean by scrub line ? the seam under the doors?
Scrubline is anything that can hit the ground below the wheel lip. Imagine a string pulled tightly from the front left to front right @ the outer edge of the wheel. That would be considered the scrubline. Anything below that imaginary line can contact the ground & cause damage and/or loss of control of the vehicle.

It is always advised not to allow anything to hang below that line. The rear end is the same thing. Anything below the lips of the wheels is possible trouble if it hits the ground (blow-out, object in the roadway, etc...).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-17-2015, 11:47 PM   #8
Vandals909

Thanks for all of the responses.

The idea of centering the wheel in the wheel well sounds like a great idea. Also thinkin the better geometry offered would help reduce the amount of shims currently on the arm to get it aligned.

Is porterbuilt the only one that centers the wheel?
Old 11-18-2015, 12:14 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Thanks for all of the responses.

The idea of centering the wheel in the wheel well sounds like a great idea. Also thinkin the better geometry offered would help reduce the amount of shims currently on the arm to get it aligned.

Is porterbuilt the only one that centers the wheel?
I believe Ride Tech built theirs to center the wheel. I KNOW PB offers arms that move things forward 1" which is about the best place to start. Some trucks that are even lower benefit from a little more forward (1.25 - 1.5") but that's when you're in frame draggin territory.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-18-2015, 01:46 AM   #10
Vandals909

Who's got the best deal on ridetech coilover kits?
Old 11-18-2015, 01:49 AM   #11
SCOTI

Google their dealers to see.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-18-2015, 08:09 AM   #12
BossHogg69
motor exploder

It's kind of hit or miss with the RideTech kit centering the wheels in the wheelwells. They never mention building the kit to move the wheels forward, and in the thread below, it's kind of hit or miss where the wheels line up. In the first few shots, the wheels definitely look farther back to me, but in the shot of the yellow truck, they look centered.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=597074&page=4

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:28 AM   #13
PBFAB.COM

We have a bunch of forum members that run our control arms on factory crossmembers, but here is a more recent one: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605736

There are some detailed pics of the install and of the wheel placement before and after. He is running the narrowed and forward version.

Feel free to send us an email with any specific questions you have! We would be happy to provide you with any information you are looking for.

Sales@pbfab.com

Thanks!
Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #14
RodsGreen10

Stock crossmember and 1" forward and 1" narrow are Tha **** on my stock front member. Works like a charm no issues at all. PB is top notch with the tech and design plus customer service is tops in my book. I have had DJM control arms aka JUNK. I also have ran CPP better than DJM. But PB takes the crown IMO. I wish I would have gone PB to begin with and saved my ass a bunch off $$$. You get more caster and pulls the wheel in a inch best of both worlds. Straight bolt on no issues.
RodsGreen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #15
Vandals909

I'm hoping someone from ridetech will chime in on the center of the wheel? Is the ridetech arm also narrower? What's the advantage to the narrow arm?

Pbfab, sent your guy an email
Old 11-18-2015, 12:40 PM   #16
RodsGreen10

Quote:
I'm hoping someone from ridetech will chime in on the center of the wheel? Is the ridetech arm also narrower? What's the advantage to the narrow arm?

Pbfab, sent your guy an email
Narrow helps with big wheels and getting lower for turning. That is what it did for me. I had a 6.5" drop on the front with 22" wheels I had to roll the inner fender about .5". But with the PB arms being pulled in 1" I dropped it another inch and no rubbing issue. So now I am at 7.5" drop in the front no rub with 22" wheel. And centering the wheel is just a added bonus.

IMO don't waste your time or money on the others. You will be happy with PB arms. I looked at ridetech also but all the positive on PB from this forum and the quality and craftsmanship plus the down to earth people Nate and Dave it was a no brainier for me.

Last edited by RodsGreen10; 11-18-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #17
RodsGreen10

Also when you get the PB arms get the front shock relocators they are awesome and help the angle of the shock which in turn provides better ride. And prevents the old shock stud from cracking your frame.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #18
Vandals909

Thanks everyone.

What spindle and drop spring works best with the porterbuilt narrow and forward arms on a stock member if I want to run 20's on the front on my 71
Old 11-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #19
RodsGreen10

That would be more of a brand preference. Cause they will bolt up just like stock. I like WC and CPP. But that's just me. PB carries CPP so you could do a one stop shop with PB.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:33 PM   #20
Vandals909

Here is some good info from porterbuilt. I asked if I got arms and decided later when money permits will running a drop member be an issue.

"If your plan is to run a Dropmember in the future you will need to stay with the standard or 1" narrowed control arms. We move the wheel 1" forward with our cross member so the forward arm will move the wheel to far forward. "