The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2023, 05:47 PM   #1
TX3100Guy

Dash knobs

Since the wiring harness is almost installed to all of its locations, I'm working on mounting the Vintage Air unit against the firewall. For now, I'm going to use the lower dash shaped plastic section that they provide to hold three vents and three fan/temp/mode controls.

Rather than use the generic black plastic knobs that they supply, I'm thinking that I'd like to use three of the knobs that are already in my truck. The issue is, I don't know if they are original to the truck or if the previous owner swapped them out. Either way, I need to find three of them, to replace the Vintage Air ones. Any thoughts or pointing in a direction is appreciated.

Here is a photo of the current knobs, including the wiper knob and one from the headlight switch, along with a spare that I found in the box of parts that came with the truck. So.....I either need two that will match or three new one for the AC unit if they look slightly different or new.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 4.41.09 PM.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  74.2 KB

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 08:29 PM   #2
leegreen

Re: Dash knobs

On the left is the factory original 1952 headlight knob (on the right is an old radio knob I'm using for a PWM LED driver / dimmer control)
Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 201
Size:  14.0 KB

So I believe that the knobs you show are same as factory for at least some years. The wiper knob was either chrome or red-ish plastic

https://www.classicindustries.com/sh...ts/dash-knobs/

Does anyone know the significance of the red centers? Is it just because plastic was the cool thing back in that era?
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 08:53 PM   #3
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
On the left is the factory original 1952 headlight knob (on the right is an old radio knob I'm using for a PWM LED driver / dimmer control)
Attachment 2266879

So I believe that the knobs you show are same as factory for at least some years. The wiper knob was either chrome or red-ish plastic

https://www.classicindustries.com/sh...ts/dash-knobs/

Does anyone know the significance of the red centers? Is it just because plastic was the cool thing back in that era?
Thanks Lee. I'm going to order three of the headlight knob and shafts and just not use the shaft. It appears that I will need to bore out the shaft hole in the know slightly to fit the controls on the AC unit, but that doesn't seem too difficult.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 11:57 PM   #4
mr48chev

You may have to buy a correct size bottoming tap if your tap set doesn't have one and most don't. That's so you can have even threads all the waydown in a blind hole.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote