The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #1
McLovin

1969 Burb rejuvenation

Afternoon friends! Its unseasonably warm here in the Willamette Valley in Oregon. It was in the low 70's today! Thankful for the beautiful weather!

I purchased my Suburban locally but it was originally from California. It had been last registered there in 2003. Seeing as how it hadn't been driven for 12 years I figured I better check some of the main components. It didn't take me long to find an issue. On my way home from work the right rear drum locked up on me. Had to leave the truck parked at Home Depot until it cooled off before I could drive her home. I also found that the heater controls didn't work and the rear brake lights did not come on.

First thing I fixed was the rear brake lights. A new bulb on the right rear corner and a new brake light switch on the pedal solved that issue. Also replaced the license plate light. Housing, lens and bulb.

I then spent some money at LMC truck and bought all new heater controls. New face plate, new switch and new cables. Heater is working like it should now.

Brakes have been another story. It is a four wheel power drum brake truck. I replaced all shoes and wheel cylinders at all four corners and had the drums turned. Replaced the front rubber hoses to the wheel cylinders as they were shot. I replaced the master cylinder as well.

The problem came when I went to bleed them. Had a heck of a time getting all the air out and still the pedal was mushy. I ended up taking it to a local brake shop and they are finishing it up today. I'll know more on what I did wrong tomorrow after its done. My guess is that with my inexperience I forgot a step or didn't tighten something like I should have. Oh well, learn through experience right?

My goals for this project:

1. Daily driver first. Just sold my Dodge Magnum RT wagon to get out of a payment. With the third door I will be able to put my 2 year old and 13 month old sons in the burb with me.

2. Towing machine. My dad has a small Kubota tractor I want to pull. Eventually a small travel trailer and sand toys to play with the family.

3. 4-5 inch static drop with front disc brakes.

4. Interior clean up. Reupholster factory bench seats, new dash pad, newer/smaller steering wheel.

5. Rust repair and paint.

Love this truck so far and can't wait to dig into some more things and get her daily drivable.
Attached Images

McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
McLovin

Re: 1969 Burb rejuvenation

Here are a few more pictures of it when I got her.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2015, 10:02 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Nice lookin' truck! Lots of possibilities there and it sounds like you are getting right on it..

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
4shongo

Nice Burb. Let us know what happened with the brakes.
4shongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:49 PM   #5
McLovin

Update: I was able to get the brakes fixed. The shop I took it to seemed to think it had not come stock with power brakes. They said the way the booster was mounted did not look factory. Anyway, just a few issues they addressed for me. The rod that goes into the back of the master cylinder was too long so they backed it out so the master cylinder sits flush against the booster. They bled the brakes and were able to get some pedal firmness. The pedal still goes a lot farther to the floor than I would like but it does stop so thats a plus. I really want to replace most of it and add at least front disc brakes. It works for now while I save up the money for the disc brake conversion.

I had the transmission and rear end serviced last week. Wanted them checked to make sure everything was in good condition. It hadn't been on the road since 2003 so I figured I better do some preventative maintenance. Everything looked good according to the shop.

Other than those two things I have just been doing a bunch of cleaning and checking. I was having a hard time installing both of my sons car seats in the back seat. I bought new seatbelts and installed them but they didn't fit right through the car seats. So I decided to create my own LATCH system. I used quick links rated at 600lbs each. I put them through the seatbelt bracket and ran them up to the base of the seat. Using the LATCH clips on the car seats I was able to secure both car seats. Cost me about 12 bucks!

I took the boys for a ride today and they seemed to enjoy it. The oldest turns 2 next month and the youngest will be 1 in May.

Next I'm hoping to fix a leak in the radiator and find some tires to put on a set of 6 lug rallys I have laying around. I'm wanting to do white letter out 255/60r15's.

Pics coming soon!

Last edited by McLovin; 03-23-2015 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #6
zellway

Nice suburban! Same year and colors as mine!
1970 C10 step Project Jiminy http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=682647
RUST!? Thats just mother natures way of telling all of us.....MINE!!!!
zellway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:35 PM   #7
McLovin

Thanks Zellway! I was just looking at your build last night and noticed how similar they are. Your original paint is in much better shape than mine. But you've got a great Burb!
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2015, 08:38 AM   #8
zellway

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Thanks Zellway! I was just looking at your build last night and noticed how similar they are. Your original paint is in much better shape than mine. But you've got a great Burb!
Can't wait to see the progress on this. I will be watching. I need a little help getting the fire back under me to work on my Burb. I drive it everyday.
1970 C10 step Project Jiminy http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=682647
RUST!? Thats just mother natures way of telling all of us.....MINE!!!!
zellway is offline   Reply With Quote