The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2017, 11:55 PM   #276
MARTINSR

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
I had a conversation with my truck this weekend I told my truck that its close to being back on the road and that I would start working on it again by next weekend. I wrote out a game plan on my white board and will get to it soon.
That is much better than not doing anything!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #277
nvrdone

orrieg - what is your parking brake pedal out of? that may work in my '49
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #278
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
orrieg - what is your parking brake pedal out of? that may work in my '49
74 k10, c/k10-30 are the same 72 thru early 80's. The stock stud spacing is the same as 58-59 hood hinge bolt spacing. There is detail in my build thread.
Make sure you get the cables back to the rear end. I am running a 74 rear end too.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:31 PM   #279
gigamanx

Not very exciting. Recycling center run today to make space in the garage. I did cut out the brake booster section, fuse harness section of the firewall and cut out the transmission tunnel. All wires are traced and gone. Sure hope I didn't need anything else.

Heavier than it looks though.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:19 PM   #280
gigamanx

From my buddy.. This made me laugh

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:15 AM   #281
Tanman

I found a 57 frame for my truck!! Picked up my 454 from my friend..ordered my cam and lifters. Finally found a good deal for gm rotors with ford pattern and ordered wildwood calipers for my 80 Camaro subframe.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:29 AM   #282
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
I found a 57 frame for my truck!! Picked up my 454 from my friend..ordered my cam and lifters. Finally found a good deal for gm rotors with ford pattern and ordered wildwood calipers for my 80 Camaro subframe.
WHOOO HOOOO!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:58 PM   #283
OrrieG

Installed the radio antenna under the passenger step. Up high so it will not catch any brush. Thanks for the tip on plastic sheathing to keep from grounding. Wraps up the audio install. Just used a cheap ORielys $12 unit, works fine in the garage.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #284
crossfire84

I installed carpet, shifter, under dash a/c,engine hoses, and parking brake assembly this week. lots of pics in build thread.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:49 PM   #285
evilokc

I'm still chasing my fuel issue. the issue is that no fuel is running from the tank to the pump. the tank is older and has worked fine for years. the fuel pump and part of the fuel lines are new. I dropped the tank and checked the lines and they are good. I raised the rear of the truck to try and use gravity to help out. i blew into the fuel line to make sure it was clear all the way and it is. my next move will be to hook up a vacuum and get some fuel flowing all the way up to the front. that's on tomorrows agenda after work.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:50 PM   #286
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire84 View Post
I installed carpet, shifter, under dash a/c,engine hoses, and parking brake assembly this week. lots of pics in build thread.
dude that's serious progress.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:09 PM   #287
evilokc

after many months of repair from a fire my truck is running again! I have been able to start it for a while by filling the float bowls but it wouldn't stay running. when it started and kept running it was awesome. I am doing a few small things now to get it ready to drive again. I had to remove the return line to the tank and install the alternator. I have to tuck a couple of wires and replace the flywheel dust cover and its ready. I'm excited.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:46 PM   #288
evilokc

went out this morning and did some tinkering. I removed all the remaining efi wiring and tucked in some rogue wires here and there. I started it up and pulled it out of the garage for the first time in 10 months. the carb will need some adjusting. I haven't touched it yet. its leaking oil. I remember it had a leak before but I don't remember it being this bad. it was too hot for me to poke around and find the leak but I'm going back under it in an hour or so to see what's going on. from the side it looked like its coming from near the oil filter. I have a few more things on the list before I can drive it but the fact that it starts and pulls in and out of the garage makes me smile. I forgot that the throttle pedal bracket was broken. it broke a while back and I couldn't find a replacement so I did a make shift repair and it lasted until now. so my short list to drive is
throttle pedal - probably a lokar oval
oil leak
carb tune- I have a quickfuel on it and they are pretty adjustable.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2017, 04:47 PM   #289
nvrdone

so what was the problem with the fuel system ?
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #290
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
so what was the problem with the fuel system ?
I had tbi on it for about 10 years and last year an injector cracked and caused a fire. destroyed the efi system and a large portion of the wiring. had to fix all that. now that the fire damage is fixed I added a carb to get the truck back on the road again. I bought the carb off of a guy who used it mostly as a mock up. he ran his mustang off of it a few times in the garage but never drove it. he decided to switch to efi and sold the carb. I haven't done any adjustments to the carb yet. probably idle and maybe float levels.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:18 PM   #291
evilokc

got back underneath it. I wiped off the oil and started it up for a couple of minutes until I saw it dripping. it WAS coming down the oil filter. I put a wrench on the filter and it was pretty loose. while I was under there I noticed that one side of the oil pan had oil over all the bolts. I broke out the torque wrench. many of the bolts were looser than the 12lb/ft so I tightened them to spec. started it back up and let it run and saw no leaks. I will keep an eye on the oil pan as well. pulled it back into the garage. I was just idling back in bit it sure did feel nice to be sitting in the truck moving.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2017, 09:48 PM   #292
55cruiser

Had a great day out in the truck, wife packed a nice lunch headed off to goderich for the day, watched lake freighter being loaded up with salt, other boat and beach activties. Just finished installing power steering drives like a dream.
Attached Images

55cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:08 PM   #293
OrrieG

Got the carb hooked up and truck started, has a miss suspect vacuum leak from the carb supplier. also got the ac charged, not a cool as I expected.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #294
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Got the carb hooked up and truck started, has a miss suspect vacuum leak from the carb supplier. also got the ac charged, not a cool as I expected.
that's a good days work man
Old 06-25-2017, 11:35 PM   #295
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
that's a good days work man
Saturday was carb and ac compressor bracket adjustment day, this morning was AC. I was pleased that my truck idled for about half an hour and did not get past 195 degrees, garage temp was 85. I swapped in a big truck radiator to allow for extra cooling for towing and the AC.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:10 AM   #296
evilokc

picked up a universal fit flywheel cover today to replace the melted one. universal meaning it doesn't fit $hit. should be a 10 minute job being that its only 4 bolts. however the bolt over the starter is difficult to get to as my header occupies that space. I got it on in about 45 minutes and it rubbed when I started the truck. pulled it back off and trimmed it some more. the reinstall was another 45 minutes. ridiculous. its on now. the throttle pedal bracket is next.

Last edited by evilokc; 06-27-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #297
handyhands

I ordered a speedway motors radiator, exhaust pipes. summit smithy glass pack(2), 16" fan amazon only 39.00. finally mounted front bumper.
Attached Images

handyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:27 PM   #298
Tanman

Finally painted my spindles and mid section of my camaro clip. Now I can start to put it all back together with all new ball joints,bushings and swaybar. I got an awesome deal on a rear wildwood brake kit and ordered new axles, front wildwood calipers, gm rotors with ford pattern and all new hardwear for the front suspension.
Attached Images

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:14 AM   #299
evilokc

my gauges were all run through the efi ecm and now that there is no ecm I noticed my temp and oil pressure gauge don't work. I traced the wires for the oil pressure gauge and found what I was looking for. I also noticed that the oil pressure sending unit was still installed back by the distributor. I will need to extend the wire to run behind the distributor but that should be a quick and fairly easy job. the temp sending unit is on the front of the manifold. I will need to solder the plug from the efi system onto the wires from the temp gauge so I can plug it back in. should be less than an hours work. hope to get it done tonight after work.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:19 PM   #300
evilokc

this evening I went back out and did some tidying. I loomed some wires and ran them back behind the distributor. looks better. I was also able to locate and reconnect the wire for the oil pressure gauge. so now my oil pressure gauge is working again. it was a productive evening. the 3 wires that come out of the distributor all have some amount of damage. I was planning on soldering in new wires to fix it this evening but found that the plug itself was also a little melted. I'm going to order a new pigtail and solder it in. as it sits the two main jobs that I have remaining are the temperature gauge and the throttle pedal. I'm getting there.
Attached Images

Last edited by evilokc; 07-02-2017 at 12:24 PM.